HowTo: Removing fungus from instrument cluster. | FerrariChat

HowTo: Removing fungus from instrument cluster.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wkumari, Sep 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #1 wkumari, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

At some stage the instrument cluster on my F430 must have gotten damp (or just too humid), because I noticed some sort of fungus growing behind the protective lens.

For a while I considered just leaving it (it was kind of pretty!), but eventually I decided I should do something about it...

View attachment 1

1: Remove the instrument cluster. View attachment 2
    There are 2 hex bolts holding down the front of the sun shield and 2 clips holding down the rear.
    I ended up removing the steering column shield as well, so I could better reach the 2 screws holding in the bottom of the instrument cluster.

2: Pull the instrument cluster out.
    There are 4 connectors going into the rear of the cluster. They are all unique, and so you shouldn't need to label them.

3: Remove the plastic "lens".
    There are a number of small screws around the perimeter of the lens. The plastic around the two lowest ones had cracked off on mine, which is where the humidity may have crept in.

4: I used a tapered, doubled headed cotton swab, soaked in pure isopropyl alcohol (using pure isopropyl seems to draw water from the fungus and kill it off much better than "rubbing alcohol". Try MG Chemicals if you need some pure.).

5: I reassembled the cluster (after making sure all the dust and fingerprints were out!), and then "sealed" all around the edges with kapton tape.

6: I also taped a bit of shop towel over the speaker -- in retrospect I should had put in way more, as the stupid beeping is still too loud. Actually, next time I open it I'm planning on adding a potentiometer to control the volume.

7: Reassembly is the reverse of the disassembly. The little strip of leather between the bottom of the instrument cluster and top of the steering column didn't really want to stick back down. A small bit of spay adhesive (3M Hi-strength 90 works well) took care of this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Nicely done. Thanks for the info :)

3. Richpark

Richpark Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    UK
    I'd just like to thank Wkumari for this post, I'm guessing you thought you were the only one when you posted this! Well, you weren't - I have exactly the same issue. I'm hoping the Ferrari garage will be able to do this for me.

4. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I am about to start the process mentioned above. Thank you for posting this.
    Did you disconnect the battery before you removed the connectors from the cluster?

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Although I’ve not done this job, disconnecting the batt is prob a very good idea. It usually the first step recommended in most WSMs.

Ruben

6. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Thank you, Ruben. That is what I will do.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. Andrew Burton

Andrew Burton Rookie

Aug 29, 2018
    Barrie Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew Burton
    im going to give this a shot as well mine is starting to look like a mess

8. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Its actually not a fungus, it is a grease the factory used during assembly between the bezel and the gauges. Over time the grease migrates and leaves the trails.
    We did several a week while the cars were under warranty. Easy repair, simply remove the cluster, Disassemble and gently clean off with qtip.

9. Pedro MD

Pedro MD Rookie

Sep 22, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Pedro
    Currently attempting this. Having trouble removing steering column covers (shields). I removed 4 screws w/ phillips screwdriver. Still seems difficult to pull apart. Are there more screws or am I missing something?

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pedro, check this video

Mimmo Blue and Pedro MD like this.
  11. Pedro MD

Pedro MD Rookie

Sep 22, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Pedro
    Thanks! There actually was a 5th screw, just had to adjust the steering wheel upwards. Ha.