002C Engine Rebuild | Page 4 | FerrariChat

002C Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    It would be too easy if a single book would be able to pin down the complete history of the Spyder Corsas......!

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, and many French cars have their logo on them, a yellow rondell with the letters YPF. I am not sure exactly what the connection, if any, between Scuderia Besana and YPF

3. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree. A book similar to Simon Moore's 8c2300 book, covering chassis by chassis fairly completely, on early Ferraris, would be very helpful.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Stu

Is that book accurate? I have been offered a number of these cars and I'm not sure what's real and what is not.

Best

5. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    It's the bible!

However, research is not steady of course, so an updated version would be very helpful. If I understand correctly it will come - sooner or later.

6. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Again, YPF was the state-owned Argentinian oil company with activities through the whole supply chain, starting from crude oil exploration to consumer sales through own filling stations. Abt. 10 years ago it has been privatized and taken over by the Spanish Repsol group. YPF is a purely national brand, with some boder crossing sales to Chile and Uruguay. The rest of the world is covered by the Repsol brand.

There is absolutely no relation between YPF and the Besanas, except the fact that all participants in the Argeninian Temporada races had been obliged to put a sticker on their cars. Peron used YPF for sponsoring the very high starting and price moneys which baited the Europeans to Argentina.
    If any French car had a YPF lable, then only for the Temporada races.

7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Jim:

For many years, Fusi was considered the bible on all Alfa matters, but in the 40 years since it was first published, errors have been found. I would tend to think Fusi's book is based on what was in the archives, so maybe the archives themselves can't be trutsted 100%

Simon's work on the 8c2300s and 8c2900s are now considered the bibles, on these models, as is Anselmi's book on the 6c2500s.....but new information is continously being found. Simon is currently (for the last 5 years at least) working on a book on the pre-war Alfa GP cars, and plans to update the 8c2900 book after that.

Personally, I would consider Simon the most reliable source on 8c2300s and 8c2900s, but that doesn't mean he is perfect.

Alfa model registers have existed for years, but seem to last a short time, go dormant for a few years, than get picked up by someone else. As far as I'm concerned, there are still thousands of things that I am not certain about, especially in regard to pre-war cars....but we have to go with the best we have and go from there....mainly on a personal basis, as you have done with 846.

Fell free to ask me anything about Alfas and I'll be happy to give you my input, based on 40 years of involvement...but that does NOT mean I am "right"...

Stu

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I believe that YPF has some connection with Yacco, as their badges are almost identical. Yacco sponsored some record runs in the 20s and 30s.
    In fact I vaguely remember a photo of a Citroen LSR class car with a YPF badge on it...but it's going to take a while to seach through all the books I have to find it...

9. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #84 Michael Muller, Jan 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry Stu, but I have to veto this. Below the YACCO logo, could not find an old one of YPF, but it could be clearly seen on the ACA Ferrari #011F.
    There's surely no connection between both companies, I'm in the oil business since 30 years now, and especially YPF I know very well, did a lot of business with them in the 80's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks!

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Michael:
    I'm sure you know a lot better than I do. I was just presenting a theory...

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    This post from the Atlas nostalga site now has me totally confused; it claims it was 004 and not 002 at the MM...

The last reported appearance of 002C in South America was at Interlagos at April 12, so it is unlikely that the car was back in Italy already for the Mille Miglia on May 1, and we can take as proven that the Besana entry was in fact 004C. Gabriele by the way went home by plane, so he could be co-driver for Soave.

[​IMG]

For Bari on May 30 002C was not only back in Italy, but had received some minor modifications like a new grille with crankhole, mirror, additional bonnet straps, and for sure also the 166 engine. Details can be viewed clearly on this picture taken at Mantova on June 13

[​IMG]

and Pescara August 15

[​IMG]

Firenze on Sept 26 I believe was the last F2 race of 002C

[​IMG]

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I beleive we're talking about different years as the drivers listed are not the ones I think drove 002C at the Mille Miglia in (49?)

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Oops....my screwup

15. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Thanks for quoting my old posting at TNF. However, in the meantime I've made some corrections.

Thanks to Jim I know now that the car definitively has been sold by Ferrari to Besana as type "166 I", so the 2 litre engine most probably was in place already before South America.

And I didn't mention the last Formula race of #002C in the 1948 season, which was the Circuito di Garda at Salo on October 23. But this was not F2, but Formula Libre. I have to admit that I had #004C for this entry, but had to change my mind when I finally found the photo I posted above.

16. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Just a small correction. The Circuito del Garda was on October 24 in 1948 (Ref. Circuito del Garda by Giancarlo Cavallini 2001)

17. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Correct, sorry for the typo.