01336 USA Prototype | Page 2 | FerrariChat

01336 USA Prototype

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Dino's are well known rust victims. They were not highly regarded back then in the 70's and 80's and therefor used a lot and stored wherever there were room. Poor steel quality and even poorer rust protection also contributed. The early Dino's were not even painted on the backside of the rear fenders. All folded edges on door skins, rear and front compartments lids, fender edges etc is prone to rust and takes great effort to repair and is often ignored by less serious restores and just painted over. Aluminum lid skins against unprotected steel also helped with galvanic corrosion. I don't think that there exists one Dino that's not been repaired for rust attach in one or another way. Extensive due diligence is the key word when buying and old Dino and photo's documentation with close up pictures is a must. The car shown in this thread shows all the typical places a Dino will rust. The best thing you can say about this car is that it is untouched and original so you don't have to remove and correct previous evidence of badly performed and non-correct repair work. This car is a great starting point for an extensive restoration job.

Best, Peter

2. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you Peter, very complete and accurate assessment of the history and conditions of the Dinos from the time they left the factory. No wonder they need extensive work to restore and at times make them better than the way factory made them. They are beautiful cars and fun to drive. If i was restoring one, i would only trust the best of the best.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Jon, I am always impressed on how fast and efficient you work!

Freeman

AtSomePoint likes this.
  4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Jon,

You take things apart so fast, it is always fascinating.

I can say, this is one, I hope for the best, but am really curious what we see once it is media blasted. So cool to watch history peeled away one onion layer at a time.

PLEASE be especially soft handed around these “kooky” front turn light area.

Shawn

AtSomePoint likes this.
  5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Hi Mike,

Jon made my Dino amazing!

It is amazing to have you here to see us share this experience.

Please keep contributing your thoughts and insight. I know we would like more info on how you came to own such a cool Dino years ago.

Shawn

BJK likes this.
  6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    miurasv, BJK, Schultz and 3 others like this.
  7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Makes perfect sense but really interesting...

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a box full of them.

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Post #15? ;)

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    There is plenty to correct from the work done in the 80's!!!!

BJK likes this.
  11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Point taken and I admit everything is relative...-:) This car still seems very virgin and complete compared to what I have seen of disasters within the Dino society. I Don't see any significant previous rust work, though I see a lot of rust. A paint job from the 80's resulting in some missing and wrong fittings is in the detail department in my book. The truth will appear after the blasting process.

Best, Peter

BJK likes this.
  12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Blasting is scheduled for week of Aug 23. Metal work to start the week of Aug 30th. Some new things noticed today was the top door bolster I've never seen a dino with the aluminum reinforcement per the picture. I've also not seen a USA Vin plate that looked like this one. Of course somebody jacked it up so have to make a new one. # hour job just to dismantle one seat. Sandblast and powder coat the frame and all new foam ordered. The headrest support has to go to chrome plating. As I take things apart I start separating things. Tubs for chrome, polishing, black oxide, clear cad, yellow cad, upholstery for starters.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv and BJK like this.
  13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a door top bolster like that with the aluminum cove and number 22 stamped on it.

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  15. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Jon, the aluminum reinforcement in the upper door panel is correct....
    what body no. is stamped on it? "15"?
    did you find other body no`s on the car, apparently "90" is the correct one....

swift53 and 375+ like this.
  16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    GermanDino and 375+ like this.
  17. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Are you shipping the dash back to CA, to the place next to your old shop? (Autos International?)

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I always dealt with Rafael there at Autos International. Ralph was a partner and recently left to do his own thing. It's getting sent back to Rafael.

Jon Hansen likes this.
  19. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Jon, Are all the dash boards originally pop riveted together. Do you use pop rivets to put them back together when they are restored.

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yes, I put it back together like the factory with rivets.

21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Not exactly a restoration question, but how did you get the cavallino badge on the shop floor (where did the image come from) and how is protected from wear and tear?

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I had my floor epoxy coated and before the clearcoat was put on I put a vinyl logo down. It has 2 part clear coat over the whole floor. The clearcoat also has a non slip additive in it which you can see over the vinyl logo.

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'm very lucky to have Jessica who works out of my property doing detailing, clear bra, polishing glass etc. Getting ready to polish the Dino glass. Often overlooked by others but makes a world of difference to have the glass professionally polished.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350 and NoGoSlow like this.