018I | FerrariChat

018I

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tongascrew, Jan 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am reviewing my files and am wondering if there has been any new info on this s/n. I know Michael Muller believes the car never existed which needs to be seriously considered considering this source. On the other hand the are numerous race results particularly in 1948 credited to 018I and pictures to go along.The theory is that the car was used exclusively by the factory extensively in 1948 and once only in 1949 and 1950. It was then "lost" A rear axle stamped 018I and some coil springs surfaced as part of what may have been an F2 car which ended up in Switzerland. This supposedly came to America in 1970 and was then returned to CH which sounds like the car Ed Niles imported and the returned to CH as a fake."Emotion Ferrari" on page 23 refers to 018I being at the Petite Cylinder race in France 0n July 18, 1948. So, anything new??? Thanks tongascrew

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #2 Aardy, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No need to be an expert to see TWO SWB 166 Inter on this picture of 1948 Circuito del Garda.

#14 is 008 I and #34 is necessarily 018 I (see Cavallino #178), the only two SWB 166 Inter made.

Saying 018 I never existed is a complete nonsense...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I must say I never thought I would hear this about Michael Muller but there has to be a first for everything. I guess we can assume the car was parted out at the factory.The 159/166 drive train equipment was not up to the power of the new engines coming along. Who knows maybe some of this wound up in 1C/10S If there is no record in the archives of 018I or is there? Thanks tongascrew

4. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    My quoted statement about 018I is years old, and there are enough other postings of mine in the meantime with converse content.

5. Twix67

Twix67 Rookie

Jun 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fontana Daniel
    About this question (in case some are still interested in this); the following is mentioned in "Ferrari Automobili 1947-1953" at p103 for the Roma Formula 2 race of June 2 1949:
    "...mentre Righetti torna al volante di une biposto dopo lo spettacolare incidente subito a Marsiglia con la Stanguenillini 1.500."; which means that Righetti participated to this race with a 2-seater car.

"Ferrari Automobili" is usually accurate in its statements; so this would exclude a monoseater for Righetti for this race.

At this period the only 166 Inter that was still belonging to Scuderia Ferrari was 018I .... and Righetti always used 018I in his previous races ; so could 018I have participated to this race and "disapeared" only after ?

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I THINK the one that Schanbacher and I had and returned was 012I.

7. Twix67

Twix67 Rookie

Jun 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fontana Daniel
    The one with no number except the "018I" on the rear axle in the 70's ?

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    The one we had, and returned, had a body that was sort of a replica of a Touring barchetta, with rivets along the sides. Don't know about any numbers, as we couldn't seem to find any in the usual places.

Twix67 likes this.