0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found | Page 2 | FerrariChat

0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You will then LOVE the one coming out in August in Cavallino magazine issue #154. See also thread "Another Barn Find" in this vintage section.
    Marcel Massini

2. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Well done Tom. You truly never sleep....

T308

3. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Tom: Well bought and very well deserved! No one has looked harder or worked harder to rescue these grand old cars. Enzo must be watching all of this and smiling! Michael Bayer (two very ordinary but still dear to me Ferraris)

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is a very artistic teaser shot...I will be at Barnes and Noble as usual for my Cavallino, looking foward to it!

5. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I like the shape of that old Devlin body.

I know it would never happen, but it would be neat to see a Chevy/Ferrari hybrid restored to its hacked form.

Thanks for the story.

6. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I was excited to find a 330 GTC in a mechanics bay, I think I would openly cry to find something like this. Congrats Tom you are a hero for saving these cars.

7. hwurl

hwurl Rookie

Aug 30, 2004
    Couldn't happen to a better source (guy). Don't tell me you are going to be retiring early now!!!

8. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    Holy #$&@! A couple of carbon atoms from a long-lost vintage Ferrari were purchased on ebay! Let's all make a toast to the historical significance that this pile of metal can be “restored” and brought back to life!!

Always nice to discover a barn-find, but a little perspective please! The real value of this find is if it comes with a clean title to sell to some unsuspecting collector so they can trailer it to shows and claim bragging rights. Otherwise, it’s just a partial frame that could take the rest of someone’s life (and savings) to “recreate”.

Other than owning a clean title to the S/N, is there really any difference between this and a “recreation” that most of you scoff at??

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0202 A does have a totally clear title. It will be rebuilt in close co-operation with the Ferrari factory in Maranello. Contacts have already been made the day of the purchase. The factory's classic departement is fully aware of all the details and knows the car.
    Marcel Massini

10. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Speaking personally...no objections to Ferrari recreations or rebodies other than to those poorly done.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with... I would rebody my 330 2+2 as a 250 TDF, return the 330 body and many parts to the spares supply, and do all other 330 Series I owners a favor by making their cars one good car rarer.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Congrats to the Irishman on a new legacy.

Marcel, you must be acquainted with the possible recourse for an engine in such a case as this. What is the proper thing to do about the engine if the original cannot be found; find the closest donor and modify, build a new one from scratch or perhaps ???

Very interested in your posture on this.

Kind regards

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Currently trying very hard to locate the original engine. Chances are high to get it. If not: Lampredi engines are difficult to find. The newly installed classic departement at the Ferrari factory in Maranello will build a new one.
    Marcel Massini

13. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Marcel ----"Lampredi engines are difficult to find. The newly installed classic departement at the Ferrari factory in Maranello will build a new one.
    Marcel Massini" ----what do you think a one off engine like that (complete) might cost? Michael Bayer

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't know. Suggest you ask the Ferrari factory classic departement.
    Marcel Massini

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Marcel: I was only looking for an educated guess, I don't believe I could even afford to ask the Factory the question! M

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I was going to buy it but the PPI didn't come back all too swift.

Ken

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ken,

it would have been perfect for you Ferrari with a fiberglass body and an engine of your choice!

Regards,

Art S.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

I'm sure Matteo's car will be right next to this one in Modena huh. I wonder what it will cost to restore? My pure guess is $250-500k. Anyone have a more informed guess?

Ken

19. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    A very talented friend has hand built two cars and had over 8,000 hours in each car and that was using existing drivetrains. I would not be shocked to see over 10,000 hours plus all materials and equipment time. Over a million is my experience.

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ken,

If they are talking about having Ferrari make a new 340 motor for it, I think we are talking about a lot more than $500k. You can spend $250k - $500k restoring a road car project that has most of its parts.

Regards,

Art S.

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Wow...over a million! I had no idea such a simple car would run so high, hand work and engine not withstanding. Puts a real perspective on Matteo saying he's doing a factory restoration on a 308! In 50 years, what would a barn find Enzo cost to restore in today's dollars? $10 million? $50 million?

Ken

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There will be no barn find Enzos ever imo. The cars that are found in barns/bad condition today weren't valued as much to other cars % wise as an Enzo is today. People didn't know how collectable these old Ferraris would become. No one could've predicted a 250 GTO brining in $14mm back in the 60s.

I doubt any late model F-cars will be made into future barn finds. Way too many 360s and F430s to make it a special find for F-cars. I would love to have an F2004 barn find in about 50 years, but it won't happen! :p

23. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    Roughly how much is 020 A worth as it sits right now?

24. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    wow.. quite a find.. congrats Tom!
    correct... "old racers" where considered useless once they were obselete on the track...
    one 250GTO ended up at a high-schools auto-shop dept.
    no Enzo will ever do likewise...

GT

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    A1,

Don't be so sure, things do go out of style.

Italcarguy,

A LOT more than the $26k that was paid! Car is worth more than $1.5 million restored (probobly a lot more) restoration is probobly around $1M or less.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Has anyone noticed that Tom S. has been particularly quiet lately!