0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found | Page 4 | FerrariChat

0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Anyone know the s/n of the 250 California in the R&T ad? Thanks

-Jarrett

2. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    I do like it! I didn't know that 3167 had left California.

Thanks

T308
    (GTEs are hijackin' this wonderful thread!)

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Thats really cool

I would think if the car was worth $500,000-$1,500,000 as it sits now the previous owner would file a lawsuit.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There's no way he'd win so what's the point? You don't think there's sufficient consideration ($ wise)? It's not like he paid $1 for it.

5. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

I wouldn't say he couldn't win, its happened with real estate land deals that have sold significantly under market such as when the buyer was privy to inside information, and other cases such as water rights or mineral claims thought to be worth little when its just the opposite.

6. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I would be great to have the missing engine!!!!!!! One could make Tom S. beg for the one part he does not have before selling it to him for some serious cash!

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It came out of the owner's own mouth that it was either a Jaguar or a Ferrari. See auction description. Shaughnessy only knew that it was a Ferrari chassis between S/N 0150 and 0260 and was expecting a Vignale bodied road car. The true identity was not found until the car was paid for and came into the trucker's possession. Tom Shaughnessy bid in a public forum and never solicitated the sale, unlike the real estate land deals referenced. A lawsuit doesn't make sense at all and must be a joke.
    Marcel Massini

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    That's what I was thinking. I have NO idea why lawsuit-talk must be brought into this thread.

Cheers on the find and all the best with the resto.

Vasco

9. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmm, I don’t know, but in litigious California?
    I’m very much into early American weaponry and know of more than one occasion where a professional purchased items from private parties for the asking price, and when the private parties learned the true value, sued, and won.
    The courts concluding that the professional had known the true value, and had taken unfair advantage of the seller by not apprising him of this value, and was required to either pay up, or return the items.
    On the other hand, those were complete and fine condition items, where this is just a frame and a few original components. What, maybe 10 percent of the original car?
    What really amazes me is that perhaps someone will pay 95 percent of value of a complete original car, when this one will be nothing more than a 90 percent recreation.
    With early American furniture or weapons, a recreation using only a chest frame or the lock mechanism from a gun, no matter how finely and precisely done, will never be worth more than a small percentage of an original.
    Ferrari’s are different, but assuming I had a large enough checkbook, I certainly wouldn’t open it that wide for a 90 percent recreated car.
    Just my humble two bit opinion.
    John

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Unfair advantage?? Not at all. Ebay is WORLDwide.
    90 percent recreation? Not at all. It's a complete but modified chassis with lots of parts. The challenge now is to find a proper engine and gearbox. The factory might possibly help in the rebuild. And, and that's the most important thing, only a perfect original car with matching # and perfect provenance and no doubts and stories and clouds, might be worth US$ 2.8 M or whatever. In this case, this is certainly not the case. The market will tell. It is international, not only American.
    Marcel Massini

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is 2467 GT.
    1972 found by Al Bahoric in a corner of Durham Porsche in Durham/NC.
    It was derelict, had been sitting in place for several years, paint flaked off the trunk, rear damaged from a hit, filthy and in non-running order. Bahoric was told the previous owner had committed suicide and the car had been sitting ever since. Bahoric, 21 at the time, sold off 6 Austin Healey project cars to raise the $4500 needed to make the buy. The car would not start and had to be pushed out of the dealer, at first refusing to budge because the rotors were too caked with rust. Paint was a dark red, possibly even a burgundy, and thought to be original. It had a factory air cleaner. Bahoric does not recall if it had bumper guards, but if it did he tossed them when he repaired and repainted the car himself, red, in a buddy’s B.F. Goodrich tire store. He also installed an outside fuel filler from an Austin Healey 100M, and changed the generator for a Prestolite alternator. Bahoric used it as a daily driver for 4 years or so, even driving it to Times Square in NYC in the snow. He remembers attending an FCA meet at Road Atlanta and sleeping in the car because he couldn’t afford a motel.
    1974 traded by Al Bahoric of NC/USA to Wesley Devoto, Decatur/GA. Devoto traded in a 1971 De Tomaso Pantera valued at US$ 7.000. Devoto had the California Spider repainted from red/black to yellow. Today with Dick Vento and recently completely restored by Perfect Reflections in Hayward/CA.
    Marcel Massini

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    A very interesting find no doubt! The frame WITH the original serial number is the key to enlightenment. But what now? The Devin body has probably been on the car for 40 years or more. But should it be restored back to a period Devin racer? Probably not. The rarity of the original demands a restoration back to a Ferrari. But how does that happen? A complete reproduction body made by the back alley artisans of Modena? Would the car then be hailed as an "original" Ferrari? As always, the market would make the ultimate approval.

But why couldn't I have had that kind of luck with my 1966 Fiberfab Caribee kit car? It too is a rare bird, but the previous owner dropped the fiberglass body on an MGA frame. Argggghhhhh. Why couldn't he have butchered up a vintage Ferrari to make me happy over 40 years later. "I could have been a contender!"

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I find this whole "Ferrari" version of vintage/original cars funny if not rediculous. IMO I say it even delves into the realm of BS!

Philosophically at what point do you have an original car??? Does one tire from serial #000X equal a real car...?? Does a bent frame section found in the weeds from #000X that friday practiced at Brands Hatch in 69 equal a real car...?? If I buy a genuine 288 GTO brake pad off E-bay and convert a 308 GTB do I have a genuine 288??? How does some rusted out frame from #0202A with a Ford rear end equal a real car...?? Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but seriously where do people draw the line?

At this point all anyone has of #0202A is a frame. Perhaps the engine can be sourced, but the body, the interior, switches, wiring, glasss, gearbox... 90% of the car will have to "reprouduced". Yet somehow it's going to end up being an original car because the "factory" can bulid a replacment engine, body, interior or whatever you need and all of a sudden it will be a 95% original car...In my world that doesn't add up.

All I can say, is that I'll never have the $ to be in this realm of Ferrari ownership and if this is the kind of BS that goes on at that level I'm glad I'm not there and never will be.

IMO, this chassis, even if the original engine can be found will never be anything more than a 50% recreation of an original car...of course I don't have the $1.5M to buy it when it's done, so my opinion doesn't really matter....

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I hear you Meister. And agree with much of what you said. In the case of this latest barn find, at least the serial number stampings ARE INTACT and in most states, this is the legal identity of the car. Once a Ferrari, always a Ferrari, as long as the serial number stampings on the frame can be confirmed. Just like a rare coin, the numbers are what matters. Unfortunately when it comes to rare cars, the frame and the numbers are often ALL that is really left of the carcass!

Has anybody ever seen a vintage photo of a Ferrari in the winner's circle, surrounded by beautiful girls handing a trophy to a driver sitting on top of a BARE frame? Hardly. A BARE frame didn't qualify as a car back then and it really doesn't now either.

Would the skeleton of a race car driver actually qualify AS a race car driver???????

15. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    so what would you do with the chassis??????? Scrap it for bulk steel????????

This is the remnants of one of the four 340s that Ferrari( a four year old company) entered in the 1952 24 Le Mans race. The Juggernaut Mercedes team came and rocked every ones world that year but otherwise Ferrari had a huge presence. The early fifties was the golden years for sports cars and that's where we get all our great sports cars from today.

Racecars then are were used the same as racecars are today, as tools to get a job done. Cars were wrecked and bodies/parts replaced as needed to get to the next race. If someone in 1953 put a new body on 0202A to get out to next race no one would have a problem with that today but heaven forbid someone makes one today for a car that's body is missing.

It is important that this car has been found and will be brought back to it's former glory. Everyone get's so caught up in the dollar figures that go along with these cars, who cares, if someone wants something let them pay what they feel it's worth. I doubt a Beanie Baby is really worth 500 bucks either.

I like most people on here love Ferrari, always have and always will. The more of these beautiful creatures on the road the better.

just my 2 cents

Zac

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Legally the original chassis frame with the number and the corresponding title are the keys and the most important things to have. Tom Shaughnessy got both.
    Marcel Massini

17. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    When this chassis was produced Ferrari didn’t make the bodywork themselves just the rolling chassis, the bodywork was seen as something to protect the mechanicals and the driver from the elements, whilst the Chassis and running gear were the parts made by Ferrari

Given the mechanicals are allegedly going to be remanufactured by Ferrari (in period cars had different engines installed by the factory so no difference there) when it goes to be bodied it will no doubt leave the gates in Maranello in just the same uncompleted condition as it did when it was first made 50+ years ago

18. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Ferrari built the frames(had them built) and running gear, engine and used to test them as bare chassis. There is a book that shows an early Ferrari being driven sans body, clothes to be added later.

19. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    I DONT THINK THIS IS IN DISPUTE AT ALL BUT AS MARCEL HAS SAID AND AS THE COURTS HAVE FOUND IT IS THE CHASSIS THAT IS AT THE HEART OF THIS ISSUE.

WHY PEOPLE CANT ACCEPT THIS IS BEYOND ME. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS GEORGE WASHINGTONS AXE THAT ONLY HAS TWO COMPONENTS.

CARS ARE COMPLEX WITH MANY COMPONENETS BUT IF THE CHASSIS HISTORY IS VERIFIABLE AND CONTINUOUS THEN YOU HAVE THE MAKING OF A CAR.

LOOK AT THE CASE OF "OLD MOTHER GUN' A FAMOUS BENTLEY FOR EXAMPLE:

PEOPLE ARE CONFUSING THIS ISSUE WITH "ORIGINALITY" WHICH IN AN IDEAL WORLD MEANS HOW A CAR WAS CONFIGURED AS IT LEFT THE WORKS..

THIS IS A MATTER OF DEGREE IN MY OPINION AND PARTICULARLY IN THE OLD RACE CAR WORLD WHERE THOSE CARS ARE PROBABLY NOT "ORIGINAL" IN THE STRICTEST SENSE BY THE TIME OF THEIR SECOND RACE

20. Tom Roland

Tom Roland Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    0202A is a great find indeed but Missini, you have got the story all wrong, talking of another car which is already around.

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have no intentions of starting a flame war over this topic or about this interesting find.

I hope that the "car" will be re-made, re-built, re-created (insert your own definition) and then used, shown, raced whatever.

All I'm saying is that on a philosophical level I have a hard time when people resurect not just a Ferrari, but any car from a few components and then call it an original.

As long as a car (and it's history) is represented correctly: built from an original frame, around an original engine, in an original shell, etc I don't have a problem with it or what someone pays for it.

22. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    This is interesting to me - Marcel states that "legally" only the chassis showing chassis number and title are required. But there is also so much talk about "matching numbers" in other automotive arenas. I know Tom S. restored another car of similar vintage (0331??) with engine from 0313, and yet 0313 is still out there somewhere (Palo Alto still???) without it's original engine. But both cars are probably considered "original".

In the Jaguar world, there are no fewer than three (IIRC) C-Types which lay claim to the s/n "01C". I think one's got the engine, one's got the chassis, and one's got the s/n plate. Or something like that - it's a never-ending debate.

These discussions are fascinating.....

As a trivial aside, I have saved a page from a computer catalog (MacWorld???) from about 10 or 12 years ago. Pictured on one of the computer screens in this catalog is a Vignale-bodied Ferrari coupe - exactly like 0313EU!

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Please elaborate! What is "wrong" with Marcel's story?
    Sincerely, curious Horsefly.

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    before the ebay auction disappears, here is what the text of the auction read:

1958 Devin

You are bidding on a 1958 Devin. This car is possibly a proto type of the Devin SS. I have been told this may be one of the proto type cars that Bill Devin hand made with right hand drive before he came up with the SS chassis that he had made by Devonshire Engineering Company of Belfast, Northern Ireland.

The Devin Company only made about 2500 fiberglass body's during the short existence of the company, many of these were lost to racing accidents. Bill Devin made a few complete race cars and sold them as the Devin SS. This Devin is the body style of the Devin SS and the chassis has many characteristics the SS chassis.

I don't have much history on the car other than the previous owners.

This is the perfect project car for the vintage road race enthusiast if you want a fun, fast car to run with the Big Boys, with a potential value of over $250,000.00

Below is a list of the known spec’s and list of parts I have.

Utah certificate of title, 7/15/1963

Listed on title as 1958 Devin – Roadster

Serial Number U 17997

Last owner, Jerry Klous, Lake Forest, IL.

Previous owner, John Douglas, Salt Lake City, UT.

Previously registered in Utah, owner unknown

Spin off wire wheels

Aluminum ribbed drum brakes

Right hand drive

Wood trimmed steering wheel

All suspension parts are intact

Dash board with most of the Stewart Warner gauges

Working doors

Hood and deck lid with mounting pins

Aluminum interior with aluminum floor pans

Borg Warner 4-speed trans with drive shaft

I do not have the motor, but it had a 283 c.i. Chevy # F1116CD with a four-barrel in the car originally

This is a project car that is sold as is and shown so please look at the pictures closely to determine the condition and completeness of this Devin.

Buyer is responsible for local pick up or making arrangements to ship car to there location.

If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks for looking and good luck in the auctions.