0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found | Page 5 | FerrariChat

0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nunzio828

nunzio828 Karting
    Honorary

Jun 11, 2004
    Full Name:
    mikey
    very cool find .
    did anyone notice the ferrari emblem clear as can be on the hood or the large cavallino on the rear. sure seems like a larger than life clue to me if i had it in my garage for umpteen years. so lets see if i am reading this right ,if there was a perfect one of these cars for sale with impeccable credentials, histrionics and all matching parts certified by ferrari - then a purported valuation of $2.8 mill. here we have one heck of a project that even when completed will have a very clear story about its ressurection from the dead with absolutely nothing matching .period end of story.so maybe worth 1/3 of a real one to the folks who could pull the trigger on that purchase price . lets round up and say a million dollars for valuation.. by the time tom finishes this 10,000 hour / 4 year project at $75 per hour and gets done making payments to ferrari for the countless applicable and authentic replacement parts , there will be another million dollars . he will have only lost $1,026,000.00.
    i think its a hell of a find /investment.

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

with this being the case, i think tom may want to consider having 0202 rebodied into a gte. he should have most of the coach work available in his back yard.

3. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Please elaborate on this.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I think the wackos are starting to come out of the woodwork on this thread (and I'm not reffering to Arlie).

Art S.

5. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    So I take it the original seller didn't file a lawsuit?
    Since I didn't see the ebay ad, was the original seller strictly a private seller or was he in the business of collecting and/or selling classic cars?

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Elaborate please...

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #107 Marcel Massini, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Totally agreed. As usual, a lot of people are jealous. Does anybody care?
    Below is a rare color photo showing Andy Herron racing 0202 A on 18 March 1959 at Mansfield/LA. Now with the Devin Spider body. Photo copyright David Love.
    Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    What would have made somebody remove the original Ferrari body and replace it with a fiberglass kit body? Even in 1959, the car was not very old and was still quite an expensive toy to be ripping apart just to replace the body with a fiberglass shell. The Devin body could not have been very much lighter than the original aluminum body. Was the original Ferrari body destroyed sometime before 1959?

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest you re-read paragraph 3 of post #1 where I mentioned that the car was involved in an accident and thereafter a Devin body was installed. And, btw, in 1959 the car was already seven years old.
    Marcel Massini

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Just curious how it could be titled as Ferrari serial number 0202A in Utah in 1963 and yet also be titled as a Devin serial number U 17997 in Utah in 1963?
    Two different titles as two different cars with two different serial numbers all within the same year in the same state???????

Once again:
    If a Paul Owens owned the car in Houston, Texas in the late 1950s and “following a crash a Devin Spider fiberglass body was installed”, then obviously it already had the Devin body installed when it left Texas in the late 1950s and arrived in Utah. If so, HOW did it come to be titled in Salt Lake City, Utah as a Ferrari with serial number 0202A in 1963?

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's pretty clear that 0202A was delivered by the same people that shipped the 0846 frame. I'm shocked that you didn't see the obvious line between the two!

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Hi Tom

I hope all is good on the west coast.

I just wanted to say congratulations on the frame being 0202A !

I am very happy for you and I want you to know that I am extremely happy with the winning bid amount.
    I am getting all these emails and even calls on my cell phone (must be people I responded to questions ) about the Ferrari frame that as some put it, I got ripped off on.
    This is not the case. You get paid for what you know, is my philosophy. You have the knowledge of Ferrari's so will get the prize at the bottom of the cracker jack box. A restored #0202A Ferrari. I on the other hand made a $200 investment years ago and just made a fantastic return on if !!! Had I ever gotten to my goofy project, a Ferrari drag car, 0202A would have been lost forever. That was close!!!
    I am so happy you ended up with the frame and not any of these yahoo's that are contacting me now. I hope the restoration with Ferrari goes well and I hope you will keep me updated along the way. After all, this old drag racer did own a huge peace of road race history for awhile.

I thought you may get a kick out of one of the emails and my response.

Again, I am happy for both you and me.
    Best of luck and keep in touch.
    Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:32 AM
    To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Subject: RE: in case you didn't know- your ferrari on Ebay

What's with you guys?
    I'm getting more condolences then congratulations.
    I paid $200 over 15 years ago and have no idea of how or have the resources to restore the car properly. That's 13500% return on my $200 investment in 15 years!!! NOT BAD IN MY BOOK. Tom has the knowledge and resources, and will have to put maybe a million into it and only double his investment, restoration cost and hard work over the next few years.
    Thank god I didn't do what I originally bought the car for, to cut up the frame and throw it in the dumpster and use the body as a vintage drag race car. How cool would that have been? But the frame would have been lost.
    I am elated to have gotten the money I did get, and am just as happy that this rear peace of road race history finally got into the right hands. I here Tom's going to work with the Ferrari factory the restore the car to original. I don't even know were the Ferrari factory is!!!! See my point?
    I wish Tom the best, and hope he will keep me updated on the restoration project. I may even make a trip to California to see it when it's finished.

Best of luck in your investments.
    Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

FCHATTERS:

Hitting the lottery is not about the car. The lottery winnings are my team, the stategy (an anonymous strategist) and NOW the previous owner. That's the true success.

Team Members
    Brian Brown of Patrick Ottis and Co,
    Early Ferrari consultant and friend Brooke Betz.
    Trucking and payment agent (and long time 410 SA owner, the best original one in existence(opinion)) Chris Laporte.
    Marcel Massini did a great job in this full disclosure presentation with uneditted data.
    Hillary Raab authenticated this chassis prior to me receiving it and has initiated the Ferrari Classiche Dept.'s dialog.

Thanks TEAM !!

.................................. I WILL BE BRINGING IT TO MONTEREY THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............................................

Please also remember ................ " I BOUGHT IT ON EBAY" ..........................the marketplace of the world.

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom S.

I sounds like the previous owner is a gentleman. Can you share some of the 'yahoo' emails he mentioned, that would be a fun read!

Regards,

Art S.

14. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Tom, where will it be on display in Monterey? Will you be dragging it to the parking lot of the Lambo hotel? :)

The seller has displayed something missing more and more from today's society - CLASS! Well bought and sold - all parties are happy.

-steve

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    And just a thought for some: that note shows there were TWO parties with real class in that transaction

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    "Tom, where will it be on display in Monterey?"

Look under the piece of plywood that Tom will be displaying his parts on at Monterey. "Rolling parts counter", some would call it.
    I second the above statement, PURE CLASS ACT! (The seller that is)
    All of you sucking up to Tom, he hates anyone saying anything nice about him. Hell, none of you will ever get parts again, I will own them all!

Dave

17. nunzio828

nunzio828 Karting
    Honorary

Jun 11, 2004
    Full Name:
    mikey
    to the seller who made the 13500% return on his investment :

god bless you are a class act.

to tom who clearly has his work cut out for him :

enjoy it looks like fun.

to all the apparent snakes and vultures that attacked and began the feeding frenzy of the seller regarding, instigating, lawsuit starting etc etc :

HA HA HA

oh yes s and v's come to think of it ill bet all of those emails and telephone numbers and names are readily availible to tom from the seller for his future reference to find out who his friends and foes really are.

18. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Thank you Marcel and also to whoever invented the internet!

19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    OH my! You mentioned "THOSE" numbers! But anyway, back on track with 0202A. I'm not questioning what Tom has. It sounds like he scored a very nice find. But I think that it is strange that the Ferrari was wrecked in Texas in the late 50s, then it was rebodied as a Devin, then went to Utah where it was titled as a Devini in 1963, then titled again as Ferrari 0202A within the same year. Which happened first in Utah? From what has been posted, it was titled as a Devin in Utah on 7/15/63. According to Marcel, "chassis 0202A" was ALSO titled in Utah in 1963.

Just sounds strange to me that the car received two completely different titled identities with two completely different serial numbers from the same Utah DMV within the same year. Sounds to me like somebody titled the car as a Ferrari before it left Utah and went to Illinois. Interesting that Marcel says that the engine was later sold in the Chicago, Illinois area. And how did the engine get to Illinois if it was replaced in Texas?
    Could somebody have obtained a title for their Ferrari ENGINE through the Utah DMV? Then later on, they utilized their titled ENGINE as THE title for yet another constructed vehicle?

Somebody else indicated that there was already an 0202A out there. Could this explain the multiple title identity coming from Utah in 1963?

IS there another 0202A already out there? What's up???

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Why are so many people so jealous of Tom? He busts his ass to try and find stuff, and deserves what he gets for his work. To try and find a proper engine and drivetrain is going to take a LOT of work.

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Stu,

Maybe i'm nieve, but I didn't read anywhere in this thread where people are jealous of Tom. As far as I can tell, everyone here is happy for him and is amazed at his ability find these old beasts.

Regards,

Art S.

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm... I guess this means that we need to start sucking up to his most exalted, the maximum esteemed, Mahatma Dave.

Ah, your most noble Excellency! You wouldn't happen to know (But, of course, you do, whether or not you choose to share this wisdom with the great unwashed. We who are most unworthy.) where this humble servant might happen to find the chrome strip that goes below the door on a 330 GTC would you?

Dr "Grovelling at your feet and looking up with wide open eyes" Who

23. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My opinion here but I don't think people did things like that in 1963. There wouldn't be any reason to. No body would care about an old washed up Ferrari race car. It would be a junker.

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Ahh come on Art. You know that rusty hunk of chassis was probably made in China last month. It's like those antique metal piggy banks that you see at EVERY flea market. They USED to be real; now they're made in China to fool the uniformed. I bet there is a cargo ship docked in California right now unloading dozens of bogus early Ferrari frames fresh in the wrapper but still with that "oh so desirable" rusty patina.

And isn't Tom right there close by in California? How convenient! :)
    (next thing you know, even the barns will be made in China and shipped over here in pre-fab form just to help make the "barn finds" appear more legit!)

25. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I worked with a guy who was a teenage in the late 40s. Back then, he bought a car from a guy and a few weeks later he was stopped by the cops for some reason. Turns out that his car had a replacement motor and the motor number did NOT match the records. (They went by MOTOR numbers back then.) The cops hauled him to the police station and brought in the seller of the car to confirm everything. My friend remembered overhearing a couple of the cops discussing the whole matter in the next room. "These 2 guys are both pretty stupid or they're trying to pull something over on us." After much discussion, the cops decided that they were just 2 stupid punks who hadn't got their paperwork straight.

Even in the hillbilly state of Arkansas, some people WERE watching the numbers on car engines and were hauling people into the police station for a thorough grilling!