0233 EU - 212 Inter Cabriolet Ghia - COMING SOON | Page 4 | FerrariChat

0233 EU - 212 Inter Cabriolet Ghia - COMING SOON

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Nov 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Was it in the barn because someone had previously shot at it (mercy killing) when seeing the condition it was in? With smiles, David

2. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Marcel, in these engine numbers, you have included 173 E, do you know if this car survived?

Best

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The hole is the opening for the removal of the spats.

Marcel Massini

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Engine 0173 E is currently installed in another Ferrari.

Marcel Massini

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Even in this condition, there is no hiding the art of Vignale.

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    We call them "barn finders" here but I guess we are talking about the
    same occupation, i.e. rooting around dusty records until you find a Ferrari
    everyone else but you has forgotten. So in this case, while the numbers are interesting, what I really want to know is:

--was the successful "garage picker" start down that trail armed only with a 40-year old ad in a newspaper? Or did they run their own ads looking for a sighting?

--what price did the barn finder --he or she-- get it for? (round numbers in the tens of thousands would suffice)

--did he or she buy it from the owner who owned it 40 years ago or his or her heirs?

Did the "Picker" have to be prepared to buy the car at the first lift of the tarp or did he or she have the luxury of shopping it around to potential buyers (as I used to do before the internet raised the stakes considerably...) If the answer is "Yes" they had to buy it immediately then that greatly cuts down on the chances that any of us wanna-be barn finders can seize the opportunity if we find a car, because as soon as we began to float pictures on the net, then someone else will be following the same research trail (In the old West, they had something called "claim jumping" to do with registering finds of gold ore, similar in concept)

Your pictures of SN's shows how dilgently you do your work--you're the man, Marcel...

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have the same ideas bouncing around in my head....

This isn't the type of thing that someone stumbles upon. If they know what it is, they have to make a couple of calls to figure outthe details, and those calls don't come cheap or without letting out info.

It is such a cool story, but I find it hard to believe that someone had no idea what they had sitting around. They might not be aware of current values or such, but it obviously was kept around for some reason.

I am guessing te questions we ALL are asking won't/can't be answered now, but will be in time....but, still, what a cool find.

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mr. Wallace Wyss:
    We know that you are seeking fresh material for a new novel. Why don't you just wait till more details are released? Thanks for your patience.

Marcel Massini

9. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    #84 h2oskier, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Thanks for the great thread and find.

I swear I saw one of these for sale a few months back in of all places the Samba Classifieds.
    Don't hang or flame me please.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    There is no plural for this car. It is one of a kind.

11. Tom Roland

Tom Roland Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    0173E is listed with David Cottingham (of DK Engineering) in the Ferrari Owners Club (UK) 1980 Register. Was it the complete car or only the engine? He certainly knows.

12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    True, I like to hear these stories but am certain that I myself, were I to attempt to be a Ferrari finder, wouldn't be up to the task today because of the internet has changed the rules of the game.

Back before the internet (it is getting harder to remember exactly when that was...) you could leisurely write letters about cars and get answers by mail. I know there was already the FAX for more instantaneous communication or Fed Ex but anyhow It seems to me that today's finders have to be ready to buy instantaneously because once word gets out that they found something the word is out everywhere.

I can throw in an obsolete morsel as an example. Between 1970-'73 I came across Bob Kountz, Vincent Black Shadow restorer, on Western Ave. in LA who had two V12 Ferrari coupes, '50s models, in a pile of old parts, which he said were given to him by the son of Jack Nethercutt (famous collector in Los Angeles who founded a museum) who was temporarily miffed at restoring cars. Now armed with that knowledge, today with the internet those cars could be found, but back before the net you wouldn't know where to start on a 40-year old lead. I have actually written a story both praising and damning the net, on the plus side how fast you can find something out, and then showing the bad side, because unfortunately everyone else reading the posts finds out what you find out the same moment you do (not counting private posts but you can never count on someone reading the original post to choose to reply privately) . The story is on the Iso Grifo one-off spyder, but I didn't post it here because it's awaiting publication on another site.

But overall, I can sum up by saying that, even with this blindingly fast communication offered by the net, one cannot count out the value of printed material as a ref. source, because not everything that has ever been printed is on the net (try explaining that to a 20-year old who has grown up with the net!).

13. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #88 3500 GT, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

Wallace, you just have to be a little more tenacious in todays internet world. Having cash on hand is always very helpful. The cars are out there.

My last 4 cars were all "barn finds" and none of them were advertised on the internet. Infact, only one was advertised, and that was in print; to your point.

Half the challenge of the barn find is who you run into. I know of a 250 Europa that hasn't been out of the garage since 1984. I met the gent. buying small parts. It would be my next "barn find" if the funds were available.

Marcel's find is amazing!!!!!!

Ciao and best!

~Trev

14. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    I think having a removal option was a great idea! I hope you are well.....patiently waiting for updates. Best, David

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    You can own a Gnome-Rhône without knowing much about what it really is, but not a Ferrari. The irritating thing about owning a Ferrari for 40 years is all those dealers calling you in the middle of the night pouring glass beads through their fingers. Or just to hang up dissapointed once they realize you haven't died just yet. Best wishes, Kare

16. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Trev the funds ARE available, and the europa can stay as. " your" barn find.
    Oh compensation available too!

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #92 Marcel Massini, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As promised a few weeks ago, today 3rd December 2011, is the official release date. 0233 EU is NOT MY barn find.
    Tom Shaughnessy DID IT AGAIN. His latest barn find is 0233 EU. Tom really is the KING OF THE BARN FINDERS! Congratulations again, Tom! Very well done.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #93 Marcel Massini, Dec 3, 2011
  19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    WOW!!! Congrats Tom, what a cool car.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Fantastico! Congratulations, Tom!

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    There are still s/ns in barchetta with little or no info and many have no or very limited info in any other web sites like Google, Bing and even F Chat etc. So many thanks to T. S., M.M. and the others out there on the prowl. just one man's opinion tongascrew

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #97 Marcel Massini, Dec 3, 2011
    This photo comes from the Jonathan Thompson collection and shows the 212 Ghia Convertible at Franco Cornacchia's dealership in Milan, albeit with French customs license plates. It was published on page 9 of the Ferrari Club of America magazine "Prancing Horse", issue #64 of December 1981, as well as on page 38 of Jonathan Thompson's softbound book "Ferrari Album #1" of 1981.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. legoman

legoman Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2009
    Slovakia
    Full Name:
    Boris
  24. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

Tom,

Fantastico!!! Great work!

By the way,...compensation is always appreciated. :)

25. johnson

johnson Rookie

Mar 19, 2005
    ChicagoSouth of I 80
    Full Name:
    Chris LaPorte
    Tom,
    You da man!