02956 Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

02956 Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by jerion, May 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The handbrake lever itself needs to be rechromed. My goal is to get dismantled and send it out for plating without destroying the pivot. At this point I am planning to just drill it out and make a new pivot.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #27 TTR, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Yes, on several Daytonas, for variety of reasons, including one in which the splined center "wheel" was assembled backwards by the OE manufacturer and boys at the Factory or Scagliettis had just installed it anyway with no apparent concern for the fact that the vertical swing arm was held on by a thread, literally.
    Fortunately in subsequent decades the car in question had apparently never been held by parking brake only on a steep angle.

3. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Are you one of the guys that's a dental monitor?

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ???

5. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I'm sitting in the dental chair with a cavity waiting for the dentist to tell me how he's gonna fix it!

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Ahh, got it. Actually, I'm not sure if I qualify.
    Just like my clients don't expect me to teach them how to repair or restore their vintage cars, I don't expect my dentist to tell or teach me how I can fix my own teeth.
    I just trust her to do correctly what's needed and charge me accordingly, although at times she does seem wish to offer preventive care advise and even some services free of charge.

7. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Trolling the bulletin boards to pick up business...hope it never comes to that.

8. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    May I ask the moderator to erase all of my comments from this thread and apologize to the originator.
    Thought we were helping each other here.

9. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    #34 jerion, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, back to business. I found a couple different hand brake assemblies that I have in the shop for potential spare bits. They show that for Fiat cars that there is no spline; only a pair of flats that engage the lever arm. I suspect the much longer lever arm of the Dino required more engagement than the 2 flats. Who knows. The Fiat design captures the handle assembly between the stamped housings and is then riveted together. The arm is then swagged on. See pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    #35 jerion, Mar 27, 2017
    Worked on some smaller things over the week. The two small bobbins in the proportioning valve were badly corroded and so I made two new ones in stainless steel. They fit well but I want to find new seals for them before reassembly. I haven't been able to find any through regular channels.....anyone have a source for these. See pics.

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I may have missed it, but it doesn't appear anyone is upset by your short interruption!

And Jeff - it looks like you're making good progress!!

12. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Thank you

13. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    #38 jerion, Apr 28, 2017
    I'm still looking for the small seals for the brake bias hydraulics....anyone?
    I've worked on the suspension off and on for a couple months and now have all 8 wishbones completed. See pics. All of the end bushings have been cleaned and refurbed as required.
    I have new ball joints that will go on when the suspension goes on the car. Also have finished the Koni's, springs, and associated parts. More pics of those.
    My next work will be on the LH door frame as it has some damage at the bottom and I would like to make it all straight. Patterns will be made from the RH door which is basically a new part. I will also fix the pulleys for the window mechanism which reside at the bottom of the door frame. They aren't looking like they're recoverable.

Regards,

Jeff

14. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    Racerboy9,
    Thanks for the help. Parts are ordered.

Regards,

Jeff

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I suggest you order a seal set for your rear brake compensator at the same time from the same company.....it is a few buck and the seal set fits perfectly.

Best regards

Peter

16. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    The part that I ordered from Race Car Research is for the rear mounted "pressure limiting valve". This device biases brake pressure to the front brakes I believe so that there is greater pressure in the front brakes than the rear; more or less a pressure regulator.
    The second valve which is mounted more forward is the pressure differential switch. This monitors the brake pressures on either side of the dual brake circuits and if one side is leaking or without pressure, the switch actuates and provides a warning light on the dash. The is the one that I need the seals for. It does not appear that RCR has these. There are 2 small seals that are shown in the picture I posted earlier.

Regards,

Jeff

17. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Isn't the front unit an ATE part? Maybe something from the same era used a similar part with the same internals.

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Sorry i thought you had found the small seals for the balance alarm unit. I never succeeded in finding these during my overhaul of My 308 and eventually had to reuse the old ones. As long as they are equally worn you will be fine��

19. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    #45 jerion, May 24, 2017
    Instead of working on the door inner frame, I decided to finish off the fiberglass bits. I started some time ago to replace the badly damaged panels and thanks to Alberto, I have the missing bits. Cleaning of the rear wheel liners was not easy....much scraping and finally a good sandblast. One piece of fiberglass up front was easy to make a new mold so I made this part. The last big part is the instrument panel...or at least the panel the binnacle mounts to. I may just remake the panel as it is relatively straightforward. If Alberto sees this, maybe he might have a solution.
    At least I am making progress. To complete the door frame, I need to get more steel sheet...another trip to Factory Steel in Detroit.

All the best,

Jeff

20. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Alberto made a binnacle for me maybe 5 years ago, which worked beautifully.

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jeff, we will do our best to have it ready.

Thank you!

Regards, Alberto

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mark, Cannot believe it was that long ago...

Thank you for the appreciation.

Regards, Alberto

23. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    #49 jerion, Jun 26, 2017
    With the help of Alberto's experts, I was able to get a replacement for the under dash panel. This is the part that holds the wiring in place and keeps things from falling around your feet. It doesn't match my original unfortunately; it does match the air duct part I picked up a few years ago that has the "three hole" arrangement for I believe is an air conditioned car. Since my car was not an airconditioned car, now I must decide next steps. Since I really only needed the one end, I may just see if I can add one end onto the original. I can also make modifications to the new panel to make it look like it should....or just use it as a mock-up to make a mold and make a new part. It's just fiberglass and relatively easy to work with.

Driver's door inner structure is coming along. I am making a new piece for the bottom section. Too many dents to be worth hammering out.

Regards,

Jeff

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jeff is absolutely right. The two panels are different yet identical. One for A/C one for non.

Ferrari could have standardized, and make only one mold, as no one will go look underneath and see if it is a 2 vent vs. 3 vent. Mine is an A/C, so 3 vent.

Why not made them all 3 vent, not that we would miss the extra air :)

Thank you for the nice comments Jeff!

Regards, Alberto