02C/020I | Page 4 | FerrariChat

02C/020I

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Nov 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    There is no way I know of to prove that both 01C abd 02C were identicle when delivered from GILCO. It appears 01C chassis was changed from the original 56klg designe to what is more like the 44klg designe befor the car was sold to John Wyer.. There is no reason not to believe the see thru drawings in the Autocar and The Motor magazines. It would appear that according to Michael Muller the 02C chassis ,also a 56klg chassis, was change to the bent tube design of the 44klg chassis for 020I. Michael does not mention a crossmember. I am hoping he will send me pictures of the 020I chassis. In any case this just confuses the situation further. I assumed that 020I had the original chassis from 02C which now appears not to be true. If the front of 020I chassis is the same as the 002 chassis,as Michael says, then it has the bent tubes and no crossmember. One can now assume that both 01C and 02C chassis's were highly modified before they went on to their second incarnation. just one man's opinion tongascrew

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes this makes sense as the chassis was probably listed as 002 when received from GILCO and changed to 002I when CO for the car was issued and sold to Grupa Inter people.Thanks for the pictures. tongascrew

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes this makes sense as the chassis was probably listed as 002 when received from GILCO and changed to 002I when CO for the car was issued and sold to Grupa Inter people.Thanks for the pictures. tongascrew Sorry 002C

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Interesting info on this car. How about getting Cavallino to send you to Maranello to do a feature story on this restoration.[Need some assistance??}I would love to see some of those pictures.Glad to hear they left the chassis unmolested. As I recall, what put Nuvolari out of the M.M. was a broken rear suspencion joint. Maybe this is the repair job you refer to. just one man's opinion tongascrew

5. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Jim, please check again...
    My copy says "Tipo 166-I" and "N. 002".

Afaik the first time the designation "166 Inter" appeared in a sales folder dated from Nov or Dec 1947. Before most probably the name was "166" or "166 Corsa". The "Corsa" at least applies for the sister car #004C, which was assembled later than 002 but earlier than 006I. Photo from Maranello workshop - most likely taken early 1948 - shows #006I and #010I in bare metal plus the chassis of #003S. Therefore I believe that the designation "Inter" and the "I" suffix had been introduced only in late 1947. The fact that the c/o shows "002" only leads to the conclusion that the "I" in the stamping has been added later only. I wonder whether Ferrari Classiche calls her "002I" based on the stamping or on any document(s) they have available.

6. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Sorry, but stick to my promise not to share.

7. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    With all respect - this is nonsens. The 54 kg frame design was substituted by a new layout for future cars.
    Both - #010I and #20I - had new tipo 166 engines and also new bodywork, so if the frame also was changed - what please had then be left from any possible older car?

8. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    #83 alebart3, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As Mr.Napolis say: she, 002C,002I or in any way we may call this beauty, is still here!
    I know it is a rebus to solve and I was impressed for the skill of all of you!
    But my umble opinion is that if only some parts of the car that were in a race are still with us, any effort must be made to let them live again; building new pieces, take vintage part to assembly a running one?Ok!
    When all it is done (and I fell is the case of Mr.Napolis) without money in mind but with the skill of a quite "spiritual"work to make still alive a Car like this, it is just another "sign" of the umankind!
    About this "Era" anyone may tell me the SN of the 1948 Targa winning?
    I post some pics from the wonderfull Targa site.
    Thanks
    Alessandro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    1948 = #001S
    1949 (1st photo) = #006I

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    OK. I stick to mine also. george

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Great pics, thanks much tongascrew

12. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    So Bill,

About those SF numbers, I am keen, woof woof, so feel free to let us know................. I did PM you with my email....... :)

Cheers
    Tim

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Michael, referring to post #83 by Alebart I need help with the second and third pictures. I assumeing the two visible numberes in the second picture are 4s but I cannot place the script. It doesn't match M.M. or T. F. type numbers that I have. Can you give me a s/n for the car and the event. Thanks tongascrew

14. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    If I would be able to do so I would have done it already...

15. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #90 Michael Muller, Nov 25, 2009
    Sometimes you don't see the wood because of all those trees.....
    #344 is of course also the TF winning car 1949 - #006I!
    And for sure photo No. 3 also.

16. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    #91 alebart3, Nov 26, 2009
  17. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    I have this photo, even without watermarks. I simply had a blackout....

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Michael , you have better trees than I do. I have the drivers and Ferrari 166 for the winning car but no race or chassis number. Thanks again. tongascrew