'03 360 convertible top adjustments | FerrariChat

'03 360 convertible top adjustments

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by HG_FL, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HG_FL

HG_FL Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    Viera, FL
    Hi... I have owned my '03 360 for almost 4 years and I have been constantly fighting with the soft top trying to get it to fully stow in the well and have the cover fully close. I always check the fluid reservoir and it maintains a perfect level within the circle. I have redone the elastics and tried to adjust whatever "stops" that I can reach (yes, I mark their position before adjustments and return them to original settings each time). The problem is getting worse over time and I am beating the cover up (underside) and scratching the body when the guide pins go over the top. I am attaching several photos that demonstrate the interference issue. The rear part of the soft top folds into the well and bottoms out as it should, but the forward folded section stops going into the well about 2 to 3 inches too high. It doesn't appear to interfere with the rear section that is already in the well as there is two inches of air gap left. I hope a FerrariChat member who has been-there-done-that can help me.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HG_FL

HG_FL Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    Viera, FL
  3. YorkieMark

YorkieMark Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Lewis
    I am sure it isn't just this, but you never know unless you ask! I did have a similar problem when my window started to fold inwards (ie with the bend folding towards the front of the car) for some reason. The top would frequently not stow correctly. I corrected it by just gently pushing the window backwards as I start the roof opening. Not had a problem since. It is a bit fiddly, but you just have to touch the window in the centre to make sure it folds outwards for the very first second of the opening sequence.

4. HG_FL

HG_FL Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    Viera, FL
    Thanks for the reply. You were correct about the window folding forward rather then rearward, but... I have it folding correctly now, and I still have the same problem of the forward folded section not going fully into the well. I have cycled the top too many times over the last week so now I also have a hydraulic leak in at least one of the actuating cylinders in the well. I looks like I will continue to move forward one step while taking two or three backward for a bit.

5. LHCTech26

LHCTech26 Rookie

May 13, 2021
    Huron County, ON
    Full Name:
    Kody Foster
    I am having this exact problem with my 360 spider. Did you ever get it figured out?

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had clients bring in cars with this issue. Most importantly, on 360s the center bow has a two step fold. It swings back and then the pivot of the base has to pivot back as well. 355s are different, they just swing back. It will keep the top from stowing completely and then cause the cover to not close. I have had parts break when trying to get the top to close all the way. This may be the issue or the whole top may need to be properly adjusted. I did have one that was bent too bad to get it to work well at all. The client just close the top and went on.
    As I stated in another response, find a tech that is very experienced in 360 top function. It will save you time and money in the long run.

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The second bow from the front is folding the incorrect way. The elastics get worn out and the bow will stay in the forward position getting trapped under the first bow and it will not stow properly. REplace the elastics that are responsible for pulling the second bow backwards and the top will function correctly.

EastMemphis and tbakowsky like this.
  8. LHCTech26

LHCTech26 Rookie

May 13, 2021
    Huron County, ON
    Full Name:
    Kody Foster
    Yes you guys were correct. If I assisted the rear window in folding outward, and pushed the support bar back as it moved the top would seat all the way down. There are no ferrari dealers anywhere near me, is changing the elastics something an upholstery ship could take care of?

9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I haven't had much success with new elastic. I usually just have my clients move the top bow back.

10. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    It is just a webasto top and this happens to all of them. A qualified shop with convertible top experience should easily be able to handle this. We replace elastics on the 355, 360, 430 several times a year and it is an easy fix. Same issue occurs with the Maserati coupes and later Grand tourismo convertibles. Same tops different dimensions for the most part.

LHCTech26 likes this.