0302 found in Venezuela | Page 9 | FerrariChat

0302 found in Venezuela

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by elmotorizado, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Ex-Scuderia cars usually, I remember reading a story of 290MM of Aguinaldo Góes that got destroyed in Interlagos for the same reason (s/n 0606). Best wishes, Kare

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Most historians keep within facts or what they believe to be facts. Tackling the most difficult problems means you have to speculate, which in return means that sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. Except when you are terribly wrong. When facing a very hard problem, some people say they can't solve it, most people go silent. This is a pity as the most spectacular progress occurs where people are willing to speculate and not afraid of other people's judgement in case they are wrong. That's what in my eyes makes a great scientists - or a historian. Best wishes, Kare

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very, Very, True.

4. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    #204 jsalgatti, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There are some facts that I think should be considered on 625 TF 0302:

- 0302 was the lowest s/n of the three Vignale 625 TFs, so most probably the first one built, and before de the IV Gran Premio dell Autodromo, held in Monza 29/06/53

- 625 TF designation is reffered to it’s 2.5 liter engine, which in my understanding were developed before the 3 liter 735s

- According to the existing copies of 0302 data sheets (foglios), dated december ’53 and January ’54, this car/chassis was tested at the dyno with a 735 3 liter engine.

I took the liberty of attaching a Ferrari Market Letter, found on this forum with an article about the first 4 cyl Ferraris, that might give some light on the subject
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    #205 Santiago Montenegro, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
    This is a delightful trhead! Tons of info, please keep it coming.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Off course! The car was designed around the then current 2.5-litre F1-engine. Larger 735-engine with total displacement of 2941,66 cc was then designed for sports car racing. Bore was later increased from 102 to 103 mm and engine now became known as 750 with total displacement of 2999,62 cc.

7. elmotorizado

elmotorizado Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #207 elmotorizado, Apr 20, 2010
    Reading the Ferrari market letter posted by JSalgatti, I beleive there is a mistake in paragraph 6, when they state that this car had a transaxel, hope this combination of pictures explain my point.
    branko

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    So vey true. This is why I am trying to keep the 0302/0304/0306 investigation alive. just one man's opinion tongascrew

9. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi. this is just the kind of info that keep the discussion going. Good Work!! Ok Mr Massini, lets hear from you, You really need to get involved here. just one man's opinion tongascrew

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes there are pictures of the original coupe and I have them. Copyrights tell me not to post them but anyone who would like copies can send their address to [email protected] and I will send them copies just one man's opinion tongascrew

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi sorry for the delay. You need to go back to F Chat 6/28/08 and find the thread "Chassis 1C/10S update". There are many pages and posts over many months about this car but you will see opinions by some very respected Ferrari historians. The truth about this car has never been established. You will come across my opinions, which I still believe in, that the car was made with parts from the Ferrari "junk pile" by a person who had access to these parts and assembled this car completely on his own with no involvement by the factory.My feeling now is the the same sort of thing, not including the 'junk pile", may well have happened with 0302 as well as the other twoTF chassis. These cars are gaining interest as you can see. The more you can send us about what you have in Venezuela the more we can pursue this. Keep us posted. just one man's opinion tongascrew

12. arnoux40

arnoux40 Rookie

Mar 25, 2010
    Hello everybody, I'm curious about this rare car, 625 tf, when was the Scaglietti body installed on this car? what happened to the Vignale body remainings? when did it catch fire for the first and second time(one fire dressed as Vignale and another dressed as Scaglietti)?why the chassis number plate is not considered original? specially when the sister barchetta car has got two chassis numbers as the car found in Venezuela?

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Another issue about the Ferrari/Mercedes is the date of the Venezuela GP in which it competed. 0562 was probably not in Venezuela until 1956. Could this picture of #32 be from the Venezuela GP of 1957? Two Mondiale 500s were in Venezuela from late 1956, 0562 and 0534. If you compare the pictures of 0534 and what we can see of #32, they seem to have the same colour, front fender vent and head rest. The early history of 0534 in Venezuela is unclear. Ottavia Guarducci imported the car into Venezuela in early 1957. Could this be the Ferrari/Mercedes in the Venezuela GP of 1957? Lets hear some opinions on this.Also I have a copy of a B&W press photo of a Mondiale claiming this is the Ferrari/Mercedes but the body is clearly not white with a center strip. just one man's opinion tongascrew

14. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    If you see message 199, I corrected myself, I have always stated it was in 1957.

All the early Mondials by Scaglietti has the same fender vent, and the color white with the middle stripe with venezuelan flag were the national colors.[/QUOTE]

Not in my opinion this car had an accident in Cucuta Colombia in 1960, and his owner at the time was Jose Zilio who made the body it was exported with, and you can see the Ferrari Mercedes in Ciudad Ojeda in 1960 this time with a 283 engine, you always say that you have pictures and extra info, but I dont see you sharing it.
    branko
    PS if you see post #1 and from then on in several posts I mention that what was found here is the Ferrari Mercedes.

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    1953 fire destroyed the original Beautiful Vignale berlinetts body. The first unique Scalietti type body was probably installed later in 1953[ some say this body was on 0406] In any case 0302 is credidted with numerous events from Casablanca 12/20.53 to Oulton Park 8/27/55[see Barchetta] A third body was installed eather before or after the car was impotted into Venezuela in 1956/57. This body appears to be more like the traditional Scaglietti 500MD series 1 bodies. If this third body was installed after the car was imported into Venezuela, which I believe, it is unlikely the car was sent back to Italy for this new body. Several years later this body was destroyed in another fire and replaced with a crude body which I believe is the same as on the recent discovery. Please remember there is not much to confirm the above. This is what is being investigated in an effort to uncover the provenance of this "barn find".We are hoping to get detailed pictures,measurements and drawings of the chassis in an effort to learn more about its past. just one man's opinion tongascrew

16. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    - The Oulton Park's spider was s/n 0406MD (no connection with our story : 0406MD was a 500 Mondial Pinin Farina spyder later fitted with a Scaglietti nose).

- Again : how 0302TF could be the Ferrari Mercedes as they are pics of this car in 1959 still with the early Scaglietti spyder body ??

17. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Cyril, we have agreed before that the car at the 57 GP and at Ojeda 1960 are the same, the car of 1959 most be another no doubt about it, wich one I dont know.
    branko

18. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Post #215 says your spyder is the ex-early Scaglietti spyder (Casablanca 1953 etc), which is completely wrong of course...

19. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #219 elmotorizado, Apr 23, 2010
    Here is the list of the Ferraris in the 1957 venezuelan GP driven by local pilots, only 3 are properly identified, can someone shed some light on the rest or bring some pictures?
    Number 40 is 0418 not a 500 TR.
    branko

20. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    #220 jsalgatti, Apr 23, 2010
    Have any of you seen o read a fascicle published by DeAgostini about the 1953 625 TF Granturismo?

It is written by Roberto Bonetto (I) in 32 pages and is one of 65 fascicles collection, covering the Ferrari Granturismo and published in several languages

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #221 Meister, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Why not a picture of the whole car as it is right now? I understand the need to see frame detail, but for some of us with a little expertise in that area it would be nice to see a complete picture.

Thanks

Also, I have no idea how a 300 SL engine is mounted, but I'm pretty sure that a chevy 283 CID and a 350 CID engine would/could use the same mounts. The 283 became the 307, 327 and then the 350...essentially the same block, just bored further out. When you said you found 2 sets of mounts, could one set be the 300 SL if the 283 and 350 shared the other?

22. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    As stated before the actual body was made locally after a fire in the 60s.

Lots on investigation before posting, and beleive me the mounts on 265 and 283 at least are very different from the 350s, older ones at the front at late ones at the middle of the engine.
    Take a look at all the pictures in the venezuelan thread.
    http://server4.foros.net/viewtopic.php?t=339&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45&mforum=muchasrpms
    You are welcome.
    branko

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess

Not in my opinion this car had an accident in Cucuta Colombia in 1960, and his owner at the time was Jose Zilio who made the body it was exported with, and you can see the Ferrari Mercedes in Ciudad Ojeda in 1960 this time with a 283 engine, you always say that you have pictures and extra info, but I dont see you sharing it.
    branko
    PS if you see post #1 and from then on in several posts I mention that what was found here is the Ferrari Mercedes.[/QUOTE]
    Hi, thanks the correction to 1957.Regarding sharing I am always concerned about copyright rules. Send me your postal address and I will send you what ever you wish. I am today sending pictures to Buenios Aires. Thanks for the info about 1960 tongascrew

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, thanks for the info on 0406. If I understand you correctly you agree that 0302 is probably not the Merceded engined car. tongascrew

25. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Sir I live in an underveloped country but I use scanners and e-mail, which make it quicker and better quality than zerox copies, I explained before, regular mail will take 3 months or more or perhaps never get here, half of my bank statements or more never get here.
    Thanks anyway.
    branko