#03724 Restoration starts | Page 5 | FerrariChat

#03724 Restoration starts

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Sep 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Maybe this is not as simple as one should think...there might be a reason that it is so difficult to source the oval pipe in the correct metal thickness and dimension. Maybe someone on this forum can produce the profile? The tubing you can buy from SF is nowhere near the correct type, that I know.

Changing out the centre tubing is also a rather complex and extensive job, so I see no reason to complicate things unless the corrosion is severe and will have influence on the cars structural integrity.

Best regards

Peter

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Peter,
    The chassis tubes are still available however no-one I know has purchased the required min quantity, or if they have they won't sell to you or me. The cost was prohibitive although I seriously considered it and it would have worked out cheaper than the surgury I had as a result of making the tubes... Another story!
    Like you and Alberto on his L-series, we made our own.
    Regards, Andrew

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I don't think changing the central tube is necessary in this case, as the corrosion is isolated, and we have seen cars driving around with most of it reduced to rusty sections.

Making a new center tube is not an easy feat, but very doable, not to mention the replacing thereof . An example of my ovalizing machine, can be found in 01104's restoration in the early pages.

The fellow that sold me my "L" series told me he did it by running a truck over the pipe between the rear tires...yeah, right.

Said 'cannibal' shall remain nameless, as there are quite a few of his victims on this site.

Now, of course Andrew went the extra mile and went the full 'L. da Vinci' fashion :)
    Kudos Andrew!

Peter's suggestion of MIG'ing the corroded pits is by far the best solution, as it really is a minimal amount overall, but need to be repaired properly as it is the only way to proceed.

Mediocrity is not an appreciated word in our circle, amongst the proper restorers, that do things the 'right way'. By the way, just look at my Avatar...

Regards, Alberto

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  5. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    #106 jerion, May 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the same issues with my 72 GT (02956). I was able to find oval tubing from the West Coast...but the suppliers is long gone. I should have bought more as I discovered the forward angle tubes were also a problem. So, I made a mandrel from aluminum and pushed it through a round tube using my 11 ton shop press. The press limits the length of tube to be formed, but long enough for the 2 tubes at the front. The round tube requires some preforming using the press and some hammer persuasion. Once the mandrel is started, the press does the hard work....using grease to make things easier. See the pics for actual mandrel and a small test section. The base diameter of the pipe used happened to be a standard US diameter at 3 inches. Wall thickness was 0.080 in. It took awhile as different length pipes were required in the press as the mandrel descended the tube. But, it worked.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  7. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks like a child dumped a load of grey play-doh on your frame!

8. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Wow, Alberto that is some serious workmanship!

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    :)

Wait until you see the nose...

Regards, Alberto

10. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I hate to say this..... But I have the urge to puke when I look at what you have here my friend.
    I seriously considered this one when it was available.
    This car has landed well Alberto.

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon, which way to the 'vomitorium'?

Anybody that would have bought this car would never have guessed what lurked under the skirts. I thought it was a decent lady, but it turned out into an S&M trans. etc.

You are right, but this is what we love and do best. Strictly archaeological :)

At least the car was all there, with no parts missing...

Thank you for the approval!

Regards, Alberto

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have another word for it...but I think the censors would not allow it ;)

Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Some progress on the chassis, no more wrinkles or misalignment. Now, the front chassis tubes are straight again after some butcher had a go on them previously.

Thank you Steve, you are the wizard!

Now we have to build a new trellis, and then proceed with a partially new nose that will sit square on it.

Regards, Alberto

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #116 swift53, Dec 3, 2016
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Alberto, I have been following your project for some time now and I have to say you have earned the total respect of everyone in dino land. amazing dedication and that is one lucky car to have found you!!!! I would have given up by now.

16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Good and steady progress Alberto. I will never forget the chassis endeavor I went through and it was only a fraction of what you been through. But now your project is starting to look like a car again and I guess that it's a motivating factor in its self.

Best Peter

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Tony and Peter, they always look worse than what they really are, and as they all require the same amount of work, it is the same exercise.

After having done one, the second is much easier.
    My only ??? is all that lead on the buttress(es), even though it is really even side to side, and no rust under it.

Really do not understand why so much, it must be at least 30lbs. if so evenly spread.

I would just really hate to take it all off and then have to resculpt something done right (for once) at the factory.

To reshape both sides is not my idea of personal achievement.

Thoughts?

Regards, Alberto

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I would not remove the lead / tin if there is no sign of corrosion. As long as you can verify that there is no rust on the backside of the panels I see no reason to remove the original lead and re-sculpture using new lead (or plastic as many uses now a days).

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Peter you are right. Took measurements of the other buttress and it is the same height +/-
    Cannot tell by eyeballing it, so the lead goes back on. still have original stuff!

Can't figure out if it was quality control :), or what was going on at Scaglietti as my L series had no lead there.
    Things got bad in Italy then.
    Things always go bad in Italy, right?
    Even this Sunday.

On the L, everywhere else it did have lead, so we took most off and dollied back to the proper body shape, as that one had rust under the rust and had to replace the rust under the lead, as it was very
    very soft...

Regards, Alberto

20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    More progress on the front trellis...

Regards, Alberto

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #123 swift53, Dec 21, 2016
  22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Skill.

Pete

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #125 swift53, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Pete, I hope I do not misconstrue your message of "skill"...

Is it the crappy work (irony) from before, or praise on what we are doing?

Nevertheless, glad you are following. I have to locate the other rectangular tubes from the trellis,
    as they are beyond repair, and even though we can fix the existing ones, I think we do not need the aggro.

Regards, Alberto