04 spider 360 in the shop after only 600 miles | Page 2 | FerrariChat

04 spider 360 in the shop after only 600 miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by divaneh, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My uncles car had some sort of top problems early on also. I think its been fine since they were repaired.

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    with all the computer and electronic components of modern cars...these things can and do happen,,,,my friends lexus had the same problem..i am sur eit is a quick fix... is you r car a f1? you love it ,,..hopefully once that is fixed it will be fine...people have put 5-10 k per year on these with few problems...youll love car...as the rest of the comments on this site... if you dont want to wait for a new model spider you hav eto pay over list in the u.s.....as for the 308 and 328 owners who love bash anyone who buys a modern ferrari that actually goes fast and handles well ...GROW UP AND STOP PUTTING EVERYONE ELSE DOWM....perhaps one day you youll get a real job so you can afford a real sports car....actually i love 308 and 328s,,,but some of people on this web site just are not nice or helpful!!!!!

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Just be glad they didn't come back with that tired old Ferrari saying:
    "You gotta pay to play!" I've always thought that "paying to play" is just some feable attempt to gloss over the fact that Ferraris have some serious design flaws that cause maintenance nightmares. Timing belts that snap like old fan belts causing total engine disaster, Testarossas that require dropping the entire engine out from the BOTTOM of the car WHEN (not if) it requires major work, 348s that require pulling the entire engine just to change a water pump, etc, etc. Let's get realistic and not let the rosey glow of admiration cloud the light of truth.

4. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Clearly there are some envious people on this board who revel in someone's misfortune. He will get more enjoyment driving that car in one day than those of you who do not own one get in a year.

Regarding the car problem, ALL car have problems and it will be corrected. Enjoy it. Worth every penny.

5. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Yeah, what's up with all these haters? It must kill you guys that 360s are still going for over sticker. The local dealer just sold 3 used 360 Spiders for over the original sticker price in one week!

Maybe he makes/has so much money that he could care less about paying over sticker on the car? A nice position to be in.

Get it fixed and enjoy it.

6. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Im sure Ferrari will fix your car, why post here? Not getting anywhere?

Keep in mind as I am sure you are aware Ferraris are not Fords or Toyotas mass produced to perfection, Ferrari owners are spoiled these days as they expect perfection, in the 60s a Woman had her foot torn off from a clutch disintegrating on a Ferrari, Chinetti got away with buying her a new car and subsequently sold the Ferrari to a new owner.

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    ?
    Keep in mind as I am sure you are aware Ferraris are not Fords or Toyotas mass produced to perfection, Ferrari owners are spoiled these days as they expect perfection, in the 60s a Woman had her foot torn off from a clutch disintegrating on a Ferrari, Chinetti got away with buying her a new car and subsequently sold the Ferrari to a new owner.[/QUOTE]

?SPOILED"??? For the price we pay for these things they shouild at least "strive" for perfection!

Viper production is always under 2000 cars per year but quality control
    wise they are head and shoulders above F cars!

AS consumers we have the choice of products, if we choose to accept substandard that's our problem.

I've had numerous Ferraris in the past but I think I'll take a real long hard
    look at getting another F car if things don't change.

No big loss to Ferrari I'm sure and they will continue doing what they do,
    but IMHO the competition has caught up and is way AHEAD RIGHT NOW!

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is not just Ferraris ... it is simply that Italians do not understand quality control.

I read a magazine (called BIKE) the other day and they tested a Ducati M1000. This bike was straight from a dealership and was brand new. This magazine always puts the bikes on a dyno to check HP. This brand new Ducati was 20 hp down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they just said it was fncked.

When you buy a product one must remember that you are taking a risk with buying Italian ;) ... but eventually you will help Ferrari (or Ducati) make their own car (or bike) correctly as it should have been :D

This is all part of the fun ... apparently :D

Pete

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I think some Ferrari owners deep inside like being treated like crap, kind of like how girls at a young age figure out playing hard to get and aloof builds value to themselves vs just laying it out. Ferrari uses the same philosophy and customers come in tripping over themselves to give them their money.

I don't think the Italians don't understand quality control they just have other priorities such as design and style over function, they may care but not much.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ?SPOILED"??? For the price we pay for these things they shouild at least "strive" for perfection!

AS consumers we have the choice of products, if we choose to accept substandard that's our problem.

I've had numerous Ferraris in the past but I think I'll take a real long hard
    look at getting another F car if things don't change.

No big loss to Ferrari I'm sure and they will continue doing what they do,
    but IMHO the competition has caught up and is way AHEAD RIGHT NOW![/QUOTE]
    i hope you really didnt use the word quality and a dodge product inthe same sentance.....vipers are pieces of #####!!!!! i have had the misfortune of personal experiences with several of them!!!!!

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Divaneh,

Sorry to say this is only the begining. Consider your 360 like a lease car. One piece of advice would be to sell just before the warranty wear out. Trust me it sounds like you have a very normal Ferrari to me. The best running Ferraris I have ever seen and experienced were those which basically had just about every part replaced by DIY'ers in love with their Ferrari and treated their cars in systems rather than in parts. For profit mechanics tend to think in parts because customers don't want to pay for a systems approach. Also the DIY'er is more likely to re-engineer a stupid Ferrari design. And before we get on the thread about what makes me think I know more than Ferrari...Lets stop that right now. There is no question in my mind that yes on some issues I can design better than Ferrari since my goal is not to make the thing the cheapest yet charge the most. There is no question in my mind that Ferraris can have better conntector, tops that don't leak, and who designed that 355F1 gearbox to need a hand pump to release the car into neutral if the whole F1 gearbox goes to away?

12. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    And the colour of your real sports car is.............?

13. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael

"...head and shoulders above F cars!"??? What Vipers have you been driving man or what have you been smoking? I have owned 4 Vipers, each with their own unique quality control issues. My 94 RT10's top flew off the car while I was traveling at a leisurely 80 MPH. My 96 GTS squeaked and rattled so bad that I thought I was going to lose my mind. Finally, I decided to give it one more try with an SRT-10--major disappointment. Like all Vipers it's very fast and flat out fun to drive, but good lord it's just the same old same old in terms of piss poor workmanship. My brother has owned two of them and he would say the same.

I currently own a P Turbo and a CL55; and I quite recently purchased a 360 Modena Spider -- this is my ninth F car. The German cars are superior in quality. But the F cars ain't bad, particularly compared to my real world trials and tribulations with Vipers. It's a Dodge for God's sake!

14. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

I'll bet it was cheaper to repair all of your Vipers than it was to fix the headers on my 355.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    WHAT?

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It´s not a question of nationalities, man: I know many people who had trouble with german cars.

No more xenophobia, please ;-).

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    M.B. finished 15th inthe latest jjd powers intial quality survery for new cars....so much for german quality control!!!!

18. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    What's the big deal? It's under warranty and they will fix it. Now ... I would however use that as leverage and go to the dealer and RAISE HOLY HELL and negotiate a GREAT deal on your first big service because of this.

19. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    Sorry, I have not read all the replies so maybe this is obvious and old news but if it wouldn't start, wouldn't go into reverse and wouldn't go into neutral trying simply going up into 2nd, then to neutral.
    I have stalled my F1 a couple of times (why I don't know) and this is what I did to get going again.

Hope that helps. (awaits public stoning for stating the bleeding obvious...)

20. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Frank why must you always knock V8s? I think MOST people over the last three years have been paying over sticker for a spyder, why do you have to insult him? BTW, have you figured out how to back your boxer up a driveway yet? LOL

21. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Man, most of you guys are brutal.

22. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

23. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    ]
    i hope you really didnt use the word quality and a dodge product inthe same sentance.....vipers are pieces of #####!!!!! i have had the misfortune of personal experiences with several of them!!!!![/QUOTE]

I sure do and I stand by that. I had a 96 GTS I heavily modified it not touching bottem end. I put 73,000 TROUBLE-FREE miles on it..No big deal there but the BIG deal is I put 123- 15 lb. bottles of Nitrous through the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (200 shot..685 RWHP 817/ft lbs torque)
    THe car was literally BULLET_PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

I sure do and I stand by that. I had a 96 GTS I heavily modified it not touching bottem end. I put 73,000 TROUBLE-FREE miles on it..No big deal there but the BIG deal is I put 123- 15 lb. bottles of Nitrous through the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (200 shot..685 RWHP 817/ft lbs torque)
    THe car was literally BULLET_PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
    consider yourself lucky,,,, there are always expections to the rule

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    tifosi69, I love v8s. I have had two cars badged as a Ferrari which had a v8, a 328GTS and a 348 Spider. My currect daily driver also has a v8, a 2000 M5 and so does my wife's H2. I just prefer 12s when it comes to Ferraris. And, I can back my Boxer just fine, but at that Father's Day event I didn't want to back it up that hill after just spending $2k on a new clutch. Especially after smelling the clutches of other peoples cars that did back up the hill. And, NO ONE that first owned a 360 Spider paid over sticker. It is only the secondary market where fools pay such outragious prices. If you order a 360 Spider from FNA at a dealer, you pay MSRP, which is already $50k too much IMHO.