'05-'06 612 Owners...Would you buy one again? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'05-'06 612 Owners...Would you buy one again?

Discussion in '612/599' started by LuxLife458, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    It looks like a good price and I love my 07. So it may be a worthy purchase.

I would do a PPI (not at Ferrari of Denver). The dash is a $5000 item (I just had mine done). If the dash is a problem it is likely it has “sticky issues”. Dave Rocks is a regular on this site and he can tell you the cost of addressing that (or have the dealer do it as part of the negotiations).

The good news is that at that price you are near the bottom of the depreciation curve and so the only ongoing additional cost of the car will be maintenance. Make sure Ferrari of Denver does the latest maintenance and if the belt is near being due, make them include that. Also check th clutch and brakes. Those are the higher cost maintenance items.

Good luck.

2. LuxLife458

LuxLife458 Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
    Just so you guys know, I looked at that one. FOD dealer offered to replace the leather and throw in 1 year CPO warranty for $94k

Here's is latest offer if any of you want to go for it:

I would have taken him up however I'm pretty set on a Grigio exterior so not buying this car. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You should have some extra cash on hand if you buy that car. I'm the kind of guy who would never put that car on the market in its current condition. The dash would have to be repaired first.

So who knows what else the last owner didn't address? IMO, it's an unremarkable example and not worth it. I would spend more and get something with less miles and more interesting.

I would have a PPI done on this one, though there is an obvious bubble on the passenger airbag cover. I like that it doesn't have shields but it does have a Daytona interior.

And it's red. No other color for a front V12 for me. Very low miles and ALL THE PROPERTY!
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=403514107&zip=78217&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D78217%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceDESC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3D612SCAGLIE%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26searchRadius%3D0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=612SCAGLIE&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=612SCAGLIE

Makuono and vinuneuro like this.
  4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    +1 the OTO cars (cars after mid 2008) but Jes's 07 car looks pretty appealing

5. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    George, it is interesting that you picked that particular red 612 to cite. I had to have a red one myself and I looked for a very long time. Finally 2 1/2 years ago I found the one I wanted and I bought it. However, at that time this particular one was available and had been for at least six months before that. So this same dealer has had this car for sale for at least three years and has dropped the price from around about $140K to where it is now. That is very strange. So there has to be some backstory on this particular car. Dealers just don’t keep cars for sale for that long.

Nemesis RR and G. Pepper like this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Good to know. It has the original tires. Eleven years old now. I know it would cost real money to sort it out - my 456M was eleven years old with original tires when I bought it - but it is a very compelling car for some of us.

7. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  8. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's a fantastic spec; Rosso Corsa, shields, red calipers, tan Daytona interior, red inserts, and red piping. Very heavily optioned. The inserts and piping are a little much for my taste, but it's a winner.

10. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Beside a thorough inspection for accidents, I would look at 2 things on super low mileage cars 1st gen cars
    1) Clutch sensor, make sure it was changed (it was an official recall)
    2) fuel pumps covers on the tank breaks and you ll get fuel smell, almost all cars have been trough that.
    Other than that you should be fine
    Dashboard leather seems good from the picture, check also for the sagging roof liner, the liner should be doing an arch just like the roof from the outside, if it looks flat its sagging
    Also check that the tool box is full it is under the second floor board in the truck

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Nice. It even has a black dash! I had a tan dash with my tan interior and I recently changed it to black because the glare drove me nuts.

It is also nice that you are getting a warranty. A few things: You should still get aPPI. There are threads on this site where people have relied on warranties instead of PPI’s and have regretted it because of non covered items. Do look at the dash and the “stickies” because these are time related not mileage related. Also they say the timing belt was done in 2013. Unfortunately, my understanding is that needs to be done every 5 years. So you try to get them to do that as part of the sale. If I recall correctly it is about a $6K item.

Overall a great car. I love my red. It is a real eye catcher and I gets complements wherever I go. So I am sure you will love it.

13. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    One further thing. Make the dealer print out and give you all service records from day one. There is no national data bank of service records like with other manufacturers. You have an advantage here as you are buying from the dealer that had the car since day one. My car was with Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale from day one. But it had several owners and I was buying it from the then current owner. Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale refused to give me copies of records beyond the current owner. That has always annoyed me. So make sure you get them.

14. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    That is an interesting point. I was looking at a 599 that had its entire service done at Ferrari of Long Island. It's for sale in St. Louis, but I had always wondered if the dealership in Long Island would print out the entire service history for me.

15. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    It’s on a dealership by dealership basis. When I brought my 612 to the West Coast I took it to Ferrari of Newport Beach to continue its servicing. They said their policy was to provide full records to the owner of the car. They offered to try to get my records from Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale. I was hoping that FFL would agree as a matter of professional courtesy. No such luck. I even offered to pay any “costs”.

So all I can say is talk nice to the dealership and maybe someone there will want some ongoing goodwill.

16. jlaws02

jlaws02 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    south carolina
    i'd echo that, don't comment here much but i have an 06 612 HGTS that i bought from ferrari of SF. it had been serviced at ferrari newport beach and ferrari san diego; newport beach gave me all they had but san diego wouldn't.
    but, in response to the question, i do like my 612 and think that i'd buy it again. i like that it doesn't attract too much attention, and i've got 4 kids so like that i can at least drive a few of them around.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I got my 612 OTO HGT2 from F Salt Lake. who promised to get me the service records when I purchased it in August of 2015 and I am still waiting - well not relly I have given up. That said I did have a very plesant purchasing experience and when I had my car first serviced at F of Los Angeles they said my car was in very excellent condition. I also would buy the car again.

Only small problem I have is that when I go over a small bump slowly I have a squeek (in the suspension?) that doesn't seem to have a remedy and I have ask about it a few of times. I probably would not notice if I didn't have a small bump from my driveway to the street so I hear it every time I take it out.

18. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Buy from a private party and save big over a dealer car. There is about a $12k-20k differential between a dealer and a private party for the same car. Just make sure you get maintenance history.

The interior bits are the problem with an 2005-2006 more than anything: usual stickies, dashboard shrinkage, dropping headliner, etc., broken light dial. Figure a couple thousand to bring those back better than new.

I used mine frequently with wife and kids, and we all loved it. Ultimately I sold because the car was just too large for my needs and my environment.

HKS479 likes this.
  19. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Randy I had exactly the same issue coming out of my garage. The bushings on my front sway bar were done. So have it checked out.

Ron

randkin likes this.
  20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thanks I will.

21. Serge Mallat

Serge Mallat Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Serge Mallat
    Hi. Did you end up selling your 612? If not, someone may be interested. How much are you listing it for? Thanks

22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Already moved it as part of another deal.

23. Serge Mallat

Serge Mallat Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Serge Mallat
  24. LuxLife458

LuxLife458 Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
    Hi Chat participants...if anyone is looking to sell their '05-'06 please message me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk