'05 612 6-sp Manual on BaT!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

'05 612 6-sp Manual on BaT!!

Discussion in '612/599' started by Laserguru, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It seems the serious buyers wait until the very end of the time available and try to put in their bid so that other bids cannot bel placed behind theirs or at least that is what I have been told. I never bid on cars over the internet as I want to actually see the cars I buy before I buy them - just a quirk of mine.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Wow, stalling out under $100k? $96k with an hour left.

crinoid likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have bought a car on BringATrailer and been in the running on a few others. This is true most of the time, probably 90%, but only if there are a couple of bidders who are interested. Just like any other auction, sometimes there isn't any real interest.

Looking at the bidding on this car, I'd say there is some real interest.

One of the cool things about BaT is that you can look at what the other bidders have bid on before, so you can get a sense of who you are up against.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    $99.500 @ 44 minutes. Probably won't make the reserve.

crinoid likes this.
  5. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Agreed, not likely to hit reserve unless there are some strike bidders waiting to pounce at the last minute.

randkin, crinoid and G. Pepper like this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    $100K at under 15 minutes. No way it will be sold for that.

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sold at $158K. Seems like a great deal.

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Broke $100k at 2:49 PM and went to sold at $158k (w/o fee) at 3:21PM. Pretty dang entertaining 35 minutes.

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Close, but on The Price is Right I would have lost!

randkin and 599_GTO like this.
  10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Did not see that coming. The car was stolen. Congrats to the buyer!

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So for those who don't follow BaT all that much, while eBay allows snipe bidding as the clock winds down, with BaT, once the clock is down under a minute and a half, another bid resets the clock to a minute and a half. You can't snipe your way in at the wire. The clock just extends. Remains true that all the excitement is at the end of the bidding period, but the thrill can go on.

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I guess Laserguru and ryalex are our valuation experts. But I would still for that money rather have the 2010 fully loaded red F1 at Marshall Goldman. ;)

randkin and ryalex like this.
  13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Estimating values and "bidding" are fun. Why the auction TV shows are so popular, I suppose.

Have you ever been to Manheim? It is an amazing operation. They have a regional auction here. 12-16 simultaneous auction lines constantly 5 cars deep, each car is on the block for about 30-60 seconds. Cars are broken down by category, but even then it's a wide variety one after the other. As each comes up you can inspect it and get in, they have a QR code with car info and auction data (you have maybe a minute to think about it, IF you are looking downline).

So as each car approaches the dealer buyers are appraising it and thinking through what it could be sold for, setting a limit and getting into a frenetic bidding area where it makes BJ or Mecum look like slow motion. "Okay, 2010 Nissan Sentra, moderate condition, let's say... $4,200." But it immediately jumps to $4,500 and you have to hold on to your instincts. And then the next one. Again and again, thousands of cars in a day.

Themaven and RonH like this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That doesn't sound like fun to me.

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And now, let's play our lightning round. Contestants try to select and purchase used cars that they can resell for a profit virtually sight unseen!!

No, I likely would not be a terribly successful player at this game!!

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Exactly. But when there in the bidding area, with money in your pocket to buy, it has an exciting energy - I've never gambled but I can see it's a similar sensation.

17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oh I seriously believe there is an energy to the process. Probably really difficult not to get swept up in it. I'll stand back a couple hundred feet.....lol

18. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    I have a 575M Gated with absolutely zero options, so you are pretty right on. That being said, I like the simplicity and pure look of the base model (reminds me of a fine BMW 2002), driving it for pure pleasure.

Themaven likes this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Here’s a question. I understand buyers in the US are very observant of correct Carfax details. And that Carfax and other checks cover any minor mishap or mileage anomaly. Not to the point of perfection, because an accident could be fixed without insurance or Carfax knowing, but far more than anything over in continental Europe, where there basically no way of finding out whether a car has been in a smash or clocked or whatever. From conversations on the classifieds thread, I understand even a minor Carfax flag, for a low speed bump, can wipe tens of thousands off a Ferrari’s value and make it hard to sell in the US.

This car was in Europe for five years, and nobody knows what happened to it then. Over here, that wouldn’t really matter, but in the context of the above, wouldn’t it hit values hard in the US? How much more would the car have fetched if it had never left the US and so had more thorough documentation?

20. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Add the $5,000 buyer's fee to the $158,000 high bid and your estimate of $165,000 was even closer. Given the mileage and condition of this car, I think $163,000 all in was a fair price.

ryalex likes this.
  21. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    In Germany the "Fahrzeugbrief" shows everything. Even if a car had a modified exhaust, spacers etc. However it does not show mileage. In the Netherlands the mileage is very well documented (garages have to do that every time an invoice exceeds €150,-) But unfortunately there is no European system or database for cars.

22. BB456MGT

BB456MGT Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos
    This car had no service history either. Can of worms if you ask me. Slightly overpriced. The one at Miller which started at $399K asking two years ago probably sold in the $250K range recently.

23. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I just looked at Marshall Goldman's site. I have never seen so many over-priced asking prices, even for a dealer, in my life. They are not just over-priced, they are way-over-priced.

550 Barchetta, $729,900
    575 Superamerica, $499,900
    328 GTS, $219,900 (1,926 miles)
    328 GTS, $228,900 (476 miles)
    512M, $549,900
    355 F1 Spider, $109,900

At least the first two are under 1.000 miles but the M has over 5,000.

Who would pay $219,900 with 1926 miles when you can pay $9,000 more for 476 miles?

The 355 F1, apparently they haven't been on BaT lately.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  24. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Taz this is a very helpful post, but I have some confusion regarding the OTO Superfast system arising from another thread which is discussing the relative merits of the OTO F1 Superfast versus the standard F1 in first generation cars. In that other thread there are the following comments:

1. The “Superfast” was technically a F1A and you can tell that an OTO has the Superfast transmission because of the “F1A” designation next to the reverse lever.

2. The Superfast had faster shifts even in manual mode (ie. Paddle shifting).

So this has given rise to some questions in my mind that I was hoping you could help with:

1. Is the Superfast only on OTO cars 2008 and newer? The bulletin you showed referenced a December 2007 production start date for the Superfast. I have a September 2007 build 612 with the “F1A” designation next to the reverse knob. My car was special ordered with diamond stitched interior but I didn’t think it was an “OTO” as those started in 2008. So do I have the “Superfast” (I would think not since it is a few months before the production start date of December)?

2. Does the Superfast shift faster in manual mode? I would have thought that it would only shift faster in auto mode. Otherwise manual shifting is just manual shifting and it is merely as quick as you are with the paddle shifter? But maybe it is the nano second that it takes the car to recognize the input of the paddle shifter so it is actually faster in manual?

Thanks for any information that you can offer Taz. I thought I understood the subject, but apparently not.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ron- All the early 612s and Superamericas had F1A, recognizable from other F1 systems by a shifter handle and plate which allows selection of 1st gear and not just reverse. The Dec 2017 date refers to when the updated non-OTO HGT2 612s would reach owners. The OTOs did not reach customers until around Spring 2008 and the factory description of what was coming is dated 21 January 2008. Min shift time on the Superfast I is in Sport mode at high rpms and full throttle and is 100 ms, same as the 599. For F1A prior to the 599 updates, min shift times varied from 180 ms in 2005 to around 125 ms in late 2007. The Sessantas were the only 2007 612s with all the 599 features and can be thought of as the prototypes for the OTO.

Your quickness on the paddles has nothing to do with the speed of shifts. All the paddles do is tell the TCU to shift and it takes over from there. Fastest shifting in all F1 Ferraris is in Sport (Race for some where Sport is the normal mode) and full throttle at high revs. Sport (Race) mode also speeds up shifts in auto using the same criteria.

RonH and randkin like this.