'07 612 on Copart...stick shift...flood damage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'07 612 on Copart...stick shift...flood damage

Discussion in '612/599' started by 4re Nut, Oct 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Sweet. What other major items do you know it needs? I am really curious to see this happen, as are many people on this board!

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The 360 board got this figured out - they even had a kit you could buy to do it yourself.

Bottom line is that both F1 and MT are interchangeable.

3. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    any idea of ballpark costs for any folks that did the F1 to Manual conversion on a 360? I assume it would be similar?

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  5. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Jason - you should totally do this!!! When it works you'll have a waiting list of people to line up and hand you theirs! I'm not sure if I'd do it, but it would be awesome to have the only OTO 6-speed haha. I do like the F1 though.

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I'd like to take it on. But for me, it may not be the right configuration. I am 6' 5" so working a clutch in that car might force me to keep my quads up off the seat and that gets really uncomfortable.

I am doing a tranny rebuild on a manual 612 that arrives at my shop today. As such, I will get to drive the manual 612 for the very first time today and will have a better feel. I will also likely get a set of new manual ECU's out of the deal so will have those available. Perhaps I don't do the conversion job on my own car but perform it on someone else's?

Anyone want to provide the guinea pig??

7. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
  8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If he went through the trouble of acquiring a new engine don't you think he could spend a few bucks and correct the shifter?

9. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    What's with totally different wheels on opposite sides of car? And how does water only reach the engine & not a bunch of other stuff too? And if it wasn't running, it couldn't have done that mauch damage unless it sat & everything corroded and/or shorted out.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Learned a lot in that E-bay ad. Some 612s come with HGTE, how nice. Also the late F133H engine has 600 hp, also very nice. Also that it is possible for a flood to get to the V12 and not affect the rest of the car. Must have been parked with the tail in the air.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I wondered about it only getting to the engine as well. Isn't one of the problems that happens when a car is in some water (not fully submerged, by any means), and the engine hydraulically locks if you try to start it?

However, even in that case I would think there would be substantial water damage to other parts of the car. I'd like to see some pictures of the parking garage...

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    European 612 engines have 60hp more than American ones?

on another note, were any 612s sold with manual and HGT2? I thought not?

why is it asking so much? You can get manual 612s without the marinade for less than half that?

599_GTO likes this.
  13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You are getting really into the weeds with Ferrari's option nomenclature. Originally (as in when the 612 was introduced), they offered two "sport" packages: HGTE and HGTC. Both of them came with the sports exhaust, sports suspension (thicker anti-sway bar, I think?). The difference was, HGTC came with carbon fiber brakes, while HGTE kept the standard brakes.

In 2007, Ferrari made carbon fiber brakes standard on the 612. So there was no need for "HGTC" any more. There might have been a short window when they just had "HGTE" but they renamed that "HGT2" since brakes were no longer the issue. So a really late first generation 612 (which this one is) could have had HGT2 or HGTE, but the packages are the same, it's just the name which changed.

This one could well have been the final manual 612 made, based on serial number.

Themaven likes this.
  14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Correct, except it was HGTS and HGTC and CCMs did not become standard until the OTO (early 08) on regular production 612s, although they were standard on the Sessanta. They were still an option on the interim 612s in late 2007 (F133H engine, I assume). CCMs became standard on the F430 and 599 in late 2007.

Darius- Last 3 pedal 612s were in 2007 and I think, but am not sure, they preceded HGT2. There was a software change in there somewhere that made the HGTS/HGTC ECUs, and I think, earlier TCU incompatible. All the interim 612s also received improved F1 shifting, with no change for HGT2 (min shift time ~125 ms). Note some interim 612s with HGT2 and CCMs were also called HGTC instead of the more usual separate option listing. It gets really confusing around late 2007 and early 2008 as Ferrari shuffled the deck.

Themaven likes this.
  15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sorry, you are right about HGTS vs. HGTE. My mistake.

Do you know what the final 6-speed manual 612 serial number was? I think there is a realistic chance that this car is it.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- No, not sure how you would tell one was the last unless Ferrari fessed up.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Some people keep registries. But with this high a number, it has to be one of the very last pre-OTO cars made, because it's serial number is higher than most (all?) Sessantas.