07798 1974 246 GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

07798 1974 246 GTS

Discussion in '206/246' started by Neelfryer, Feb 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

I had actually traced the wire harness and assumed I needed to excavate the spare to find the battery - I will consider installing a fused connector for easier power shut down

while I was staring at it last night in the garage - i heard a tick tick tick

i assume that is the clock? - my second hand does not move but it sounds like it does

i've had old corvettes with clocks that can drain batteries

i want to drive it once a week - but there may be times when that's not possible

I also wonder why - when I drove the car in NY - I did not have the popping issue

maybe i did but don't remember it

I hate asking so many dumb questions

I know that so many have been answered on here so I will try to comb all of these responses

so here's another one

do I share my information with the Dino Registry?

I have used it as an info check while shopping these cars

the Shelby Registry was a good source of info through the years for me

you just feel a little strange as your name is posted on there ...

thoughts?

also

a LOS ANGELES DINO WHISPERER would be nice (great mechanic)

any recs?

2. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    John, yes the ticking sound is from the clock and yes, it will eventually drain the battery. The current is very low, though, so it will drain very, very slowly. But if I do not plan to use the Dino for more than a week, I always disconnect the battery. It is well worth it to have a battery disconnect switch installed somewhere outside the spare wheel tub.

If the car did not pop when you drove it in NY, it could be such a simple thing as some dirt in the fuel tank having been stirred up during the transport and now clogging one of the idle jets, for example.

By the way, I can see from the photos that some of the US emission control items on your engine appear to have been removed. Very common on these cars. So much more reason to go through everything with an experienced mechanic and see what has been done and what has been left.

It is just a matter of getting to know the car and its history. And it looks like you found a really good, low mileage Dino!

I would share all the information with the Dino register. That is what I did, both with my previous and my current Dino. I think it is a very useful resource that should be kept up to date. But I know that some owners are reluctant to list any information there. Only you can decide.

For service on your Dino I would talk to Craig at Fast Cars Ltd. in Redondo beach. They are very familiar with US Dinos and they always did a good job on my car.

3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

very helpful - thank you - i will report back on my progress

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I find it's a lot easier to just remove the fuse associated with the clock. Sure beats lifting the spare tire out of the tub and over the fender, removing the battery cover and disconnecting the battery. Then having to do all that in reverse when you want to go for a drive.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    On my old Hudson I just installed a small in-line switch to the clock up under the dash and I could turn it on when I wanted to. Otherwise it was just drawing off the battery and wearing itself out.

6. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  8. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    I just found this thread - obviously this was from day 1 of ownership - it's now been almost 10 months

I do drive it once a week on average - Sundays are literally my day to zoom through the canyons of LA

and Sunset Boulevard is always fun as there are plenty of Lambos out there hunting for people.

I am much more comfy with the car - it starts like a charm when cold - I turn the the key and let the fuel pump for a few seconds

Then I pump the gas 3-4 times and it turns right over.

The warm restart is still a bit of an issue - I have taken to putting the gas to the floor and turning the car over - it works but with a little bit of spin prior - I am sure there is a better way.

When the car gets to 5000 RPM it starts to cough still - like it wants to cough up some gunk - I need the carbs cleaned I'm sure, right?

RM Southebys e-mailed me the other day saying that they'd love to come and see my cars and talk about their upcoming winter auctions.

I told them I would be happy to host an RM Rep but said to be clear - I am not interested in selling. they say they would love to start a conversation etc.

I have a 1971 911 S Targa in my living room that they can look at too - if they come I will report back to let you know what sales pitch I get and what numbers are tossed around.

I've sold a few cars at auctions so I am familiar with the hustle - but it should be interesting anyway.

I have to be honest - I kinda want another DINO

A coupe' - I keep looking at this red one in NY online...

Stop me ...

pshoejberg likes this.
  9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    John,
    Thanks for continuing to share your journey. I’m glad you’re having fun with the car. I find myself looking at GTSs sometimes too ! A pair of Dinos would be great.

I’ve been learning to adjust the carbs a bit with Tony UK’s help. It’s a journey unto itself, but something you would probably enjoy learning about. If you ever get to Charlotte, give me a call.

Skipp