0812 - Back on Track | Page 6 | FerrariChat

0812 - Back on Track

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Sep 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Absolutely wonderful!

My favourite car of all time next to my tying for favourite modern!

Really glad to hear the 250P is being used, properly! ;o)

2. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I hope the price reflected that?
    Is it in the US?

I honestly didn’t realise it's legal to fabricate a totally new chassis (if that’s what was done here?), and give it a title for 1964? I guess it depends on the country of registration?

What needs to remain of a chassis in order to be allowed to legally reproduce one with period registration (I sound like a stuck needle…), is a vin plate and title sufficient?

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    For a registration in a country expect that the folks at the Department of Motor Vehicles (what we have inthe US) don't know/don't care about provenance. They are civil servants trying to get to the next person in line. Their questions are about the paperwork being in order. Is there a prior title? Depending upon the state it is being registered in does it have an up to date safety inspection and smog test certificate? They wouldn't care about rebuilt frames, bodies and swapped engines - does the VIN match the paperwork? In the vintage world I doubt that anyone bothered to report an accident and subsequent rebuild tothe point where a salvage title would have been issued.

With the pure race cars they would not have been titled originally. They changed hands on a bill of sale. What it took someone like Jim G to get registration on the P cars and Mark IV might be illuminating if he was the first one to try getting road registration. I expect that they wanted to see that a) the VIN tag on the car matched the application paperwork b) the car had the required road worth equipment in operational form c) correct amount of money for the application is attached.

Jeff

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Generally 1967 and earlier cars are US legal to road register as long as they have proper street equipment such as headlights, turn signals etc.

The requirements are straight forward and there are procedures that must be followed.

In the case of 0846 my pdf. on the subject was part of the procedure as was the notification of Ferrari and the opportunity afforded to them to challenge my claim to 1967 Ferrari P 3/4 chassis 0846 which they did not. As I've stated the time during which they, or anyone, can legally challenge that claim passed many years ago.

The person offering 0814 has been totally upfront about what 0814 is and isn't and IMO there would be no problem registering it as 0814 in the US.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Jim,

Part of my point was making a first registration on a car that had not been registered before and had been acquired on a Bill of Sale. I still don't expect a DMV to care much but in that type of situation they don't have a paper trail to follow to make re-registration a nice brainless process.

Jeff

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I personally haven't had a problem but as you say you have to have all of your paper work in order.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The local DMV here defers to "whatever they say" down at the Houston Police Department (the Theft Section, they know what they are looking at) ....a quick once over on the frame stampings, then a second form from the Safety Sticker Inspection (that's the turn signals, lights, horn and a trip around the block!) gets you back to the Tax Clerk's desk....

And off you go....most of the Tax Clerks are pretty disinterested. The officers are great, as it's usually a bright spot in their day!

The ONE cross check, and a local Salvage Yard showed me this, is that with the identifiable STREET models, they are pre priced (for taxation) as to a 'range' of values monetarily.

So don't go taking that "old Shelby Mustang" in there and telling them it was $500 bucks!
    The values on my 308s was pretty close, and reflected the 'glass cars too.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Of course, I would love to try that with a "P" car or a 250LM....:D

But I think they would see all the other old 5 digit VINs I own, and approve a four digit VIN too!

9. TEDJ77

TEDJ77 Rookie

Mar 25, 2006
    Ocean Ridge, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ted Johnson
    In the case of 0814, it was caught up in a racing incident in (I believe)1968 and caught fire at St Jovite. The owner, Luigi Chinetti Jr was driving at the time. Photos taken at the track show that it was not badly damaged, but not repairable economically at the time. Luigi had the car taken back to Chinetti Motors in Connecticut and disasembled. Special cars and one offs were a lucrative side line for the company in those days and fortuitously all of the major components including the block, gearbox, suspension, radiators, brakes etc were kept together over the years with thintention of perhaps making a "special" someday. As values of these cars climbed, Chinetti undertook the restoration of the car and had a frame manufactured in Italy by the original manufacturer on the original jigs. Since he was the original owner of the car, having purchased it from the Factory direct in 1967, and since his ass was in the seat when it caught on fire, he as the only rightful owner has every right to reconstruct, rebuild and restore his property. It is currently in Sobara, Italy at Protauto in the final stages of its lengthy restoration to its original specification.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Exactly.

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    A cool perspective fo the history. If this car has this history in reality, I think anyone would have a VERY hard time proving some type of fraud. This seems like the EXACT same thing the factory would do for an equal type car.

This definitelt helps the average, lay guy understand the reason for the arguement....

12. eric serafini

eric serafini Rookie

Mar 25, 2012
    correggio (RE) Italy
    Full Name:
    Eric Serafini
    I used monsieur Pierre Bardinon car, in Mas du Clos 12/20/1991. The car you have seen in Protauto wasn't a swb.

13. eric serafini

eric serafini Rookie

Mar 25, 2012
    correggio (RE) Italy
    Full Name:
    Eric Serafini
    At the end of 1991, when Luigi Chinetti asked me to go with him to the Mas du Clos, I had never seen a 275 P closely. Monsieur Pierre was very kind, he has made available his car in a large room. Luigi knew perfectly Bardinon's car, he had owned it, and he knew that the car was built almost identical. Luigi also knew which side of the Bardinon car was less damaged and was "more original". So he chose to make measurements on the right side of the beautiful 275 P. I copied it by hand with paper, pencils, and tape. In 1991, CAD was only for Stephen Spielberg. Back in Italy I made the drawings of all the sections by hand (the only difference was the sections were to be 4 inches instead of 10cm). In 1993, Luigi called me to realize the foam model in the U.S. (at the time I was working in the prototype of the Bugatti EB 110 SS). I had only 5 days of permission. I drew the sections in scale 1/1, and realize the 1/1 model in place. After 5 days the model was completed in the right side for 90%, in the left side for 80%. The final details had to be finished carefully with the help of photos and memories of the different protagonists survived. Defined the shape I knew that the model was back in Italy where the car was built entirely by Protauto.

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  15. eric serafini

eric serafini Rookie

Mar 25, 2012
    correggio (RE) Italy
    Full Name:
    Eric Serafini
    In Protauto you have seen the wrong shape of 250 SWB but the right shape of 250 LWB Interim!

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Well said. My 250 California reproduction is listed by the DMV as a !967 Ford Mustang/ It's all based on the engine block which in this case is a 289 and old enough to exempt the car from emission testing. In Massachusetts this is a God send. just one man's opinion tongascrew