0850 --Dino Martin's 412P, fly yellow Sunset Cruiser | FerrariChat

0850 --Dino Martin's 412P, fly yellow Sunset Cruiser

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I ran across this thread from 2008 on FC, which , if you go to it, contains a lot of the greatest pictures of what has to be the most beautiful Ferrari in terms of shape. I don't know if the SEARCH function will find it but here's one page of it and once you open it you can track backwards or forwards in the 10-11 pages of discussion.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/176081-0850-7.html

Though there's a lot of tussling in the thread over whether the Dino Martin Jr. car is a P3/4 or a 412P my question is how he came across it. I fanaticized he saw it in Swater's garage but now think that Lee Brown, who ran Precision, a body shop on Hollywood Blvd. probably found it for him in Belgium and flew it over. The ironic thing is that much of the criticism in the thread over the nose not being correct as per factory build can probably be traced back to the air shipment where in unloading, the fork lift truck damaged the nose all the way to the windscreen. Or did Dino smash it at one time or another, as he did his Vallelunga, Mangusta, etc.? Also one comment of a forumite was to the effect of "$30,000 got a lot of car back then" so was that the purchase price from Belgium? It seems about right for the time as a Daytona was then about $19,000 brand new.

I saw this car doing down Sunset Strip around 1970 but Motor Trend's John Lamm was more fleet of feet and got the pictures and storym, though he, too, was lost as to whether it was a P3/4 or 412P..

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There is only one P3/4 and it's 0846.

So either it was a P4 P4, or a 412P.

Assuming it was 0850

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    In 1966, 5 P3 frames were built [somewhere] possibly not at Ferrari. One assigned sn 0850 which was built as a 412/P3 and not completed until January 1967 for Ecurie[Garage] Francorchamps. It had a 2412mm wheel base, carbureted 330 engine stamped 412P#1 0850 and originally painted red, then Belgian racing yellow.As with most of the P series cars no two were alike including 0850. The car was badly crashed at Spa in May of 1967 and damaged again in 1968 during unloading at Loa Angeles. A new body was built by Precision Auto and as far as I know is the body on it today.When Dino Jr had it alterations to the carbs and the cooling system to make it a "street" car. When Paul Pappalardo owned it the story is he would from time to time drive his son to school in it.I guess it was a "road Car". He had it painted red for a while and then back to yellow.Well enough from me.I am sure more details will come from others. tonascrew

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I tried to find the full 15 minute clip but this is all I could find.

They talked about how the car was damaged during shipment when someone stepped on the roof thinking it was strong enough to hold them and how Dino wanted a P4 but Ferrari wouldn't sell him one so with the help of Lee Brown he bought this one. I don't know how accurate the facts are in the full 15 minute clip but it has lots of great shots of this car and some period racing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWOZuibaB7c]1967 Ferrari 412P | One of a Kind - YouTube[/ame]

5. jdfelter

jdfelter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2004
    The body on 0850 today was not built by Precision Auto.

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Ok, fine. So who, when and where built the body on the car today? If you make a statement like this back it up with the facts.We all would like to know. Thanks tongascrew

7. jdfelter

jdfelter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2004
    76-78 it was stripped to the frame in Connecticut by F. Sicard, lots of new internal and some external skins, gained a roof panel. October 78 used for catch fence / guardrail testing, left front primary damage. Repaired and replaced where necessary. In the 90's new front and rear clips were made in Modena.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Hilarious way to put it! Sure beats "went agricultural". 3P driving?

Jeff

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    0850's Calif body as described in Motor Trend article is still in Modena and has been offered for sale for years.

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    According to this article Lee Brown who had found the car for Dino Jr. had the car, heavily damage during off loading, taken to his shop Precision Auto Body where the body was removed and rebuilt.The article details the many changes to the body, and the chassis & engine, to make the car fit for the road.Yes, Sicard did a lot more to the car probably for Paul Pappalardo. It's difficult to say without more details how much of the Precision Auto body work was redone ,and by whome, in Modena.Maybe you can give us more details. Thanks. tongascrew

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Jim, thanks for the info.It sounds like body on the car now doesn't have much of the Precision Auto body work left.So what's in the Modena shop [name?]. Is it a complete P3 body? Someone should buy it and hang it on a wall. tongascrew

12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Searching for photos of 0850 at Spa 1967
    Mairesse completely destroyed the car.

13. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    A little off-topic tale about "Brownie": He agreed with a mechanic at Hollywood Sport Cars (who shall remain nameless) to swap some mechanical work for a paint job on the mechanic's car. Brownie completed the paint, and when he asked the other guy when he was going to do the work, the mechanic said something like, "Maybe never; what are ya gonna do?" Brownie returned with a can of paint remover and poured it over the mechanic's car. Bingo! Now back to your regularly scheduled...

Prancing 12 likes this.
  14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #14 tomgt, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  16. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    thanks!
    Wreckage photos we need ;-)

two of your pics are not 0850

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Porsche 910 Jo Siffert?

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yep, snuck in there by mistake. Fixed it.

19. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Love the Chaparral in two of the pictures although would have been better with a bigger wing LOL.

20. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Just A Car Guy: Dean Martin's cars, quite a variety

but I know, names get confusing especially when a son is named after his father. Anyway two years after my first question, I got another. What did Dino advertise it for? I saw the car on Sunset Strip from my 6th floor office and sent a photographer down to shoot it and it became a story in MT but I think the photographer got befuddled as to just what model it was. Anyway I figure back then in the early '70s it was probably under $25,000. Is the car back to the way it looked when it was a Belgian team car?

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thought I would bring back the old #0850 thread due to it being at Pebble Beach.

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very neat to see those old color pictures taken at Spa again! You can see how Ferrari used those gold wheels to...