0850 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PSk, Nov 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting 'cause there is only one ;), but interestingly it's history is vague around this time ... I'm sure the owner of it (a member of this site) would love you to fill in the gaps!

Pete :D

2. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    Only one P3/4? Maybe you would consider my father's old car to be a 412P, then? When I was growing up (1970's), P3/4 and 412P were interchangeable designations for our car. Perhaps that's changed now.

But VAGUE around this time? Hardly. My father (who is also a member of this site and shall remain nameless) owned this car for MANY years, and it was actively shown and vintage raced before he sold it a few years ago.

I ain't yankin' your chain dude. Don't assume I am just because this was my first post. Who knows, maybe I've even drank some Champagne with you at some point somewhere in the world...

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome to the site, and thanks for posting.......

Indeed most of the old guard is gone now, IIRC he may have the CanAm car in AZ now.......anyway see if you can scan in the old Polaroids we'd be interested....

Several site members here know Walter. He doesn't chat with us though.....:(

I send a Christams Card to his PO Box, LOL!

His wife passed a few years back, but his kids will get the cars I imagine......

You Dad's car would have been a 412P if carbureted, the Factoy cars were mechanical fuel injection. See our Vintage Section for the most excellent "0846 Debate" Thread, but get some popcorn and a good bourbon ready before you start all that! :D :D

The deal is there were P3s and P4s and 412Ps.........only one car survived that was a P3 changed to P4, hence P3/4.

4. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Extremely vague. :D

Er .... But let's not go there again, shall we, Pete ? Enough said on the subject, methinks. ;)

5. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    #5 Roadtripguy, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I'm not going to get into the whole P3/4 vs. 412P debate going on here, and obviously I'm not up to speed with it. Suffice it to say we always referred to our car as a P3/4 (yes, it was carbureted). Neat car. 24 spark plugs. Eight sets of points. 4 coils. LOTS of fuel pumps that make so much racket your fillings come loose. A raw gas smell when starting that makes you hope the air compressor in the garage doesn't turn on and make a spark... Your head caves in from the noise (after we got the original exhaust back on the car). Car alarms in the neighborhood go off. The authorities are notified...

I went to the basement, and rifled through my picture box. Sorry I couldn't find any of the Medlin pictures. They were blurry anyway (I mean, hey. I was in JR. High School then). I'm sure I must have tossed them, along with countless blurry pictures of my thumb, and the Goodyear Blimp from Watkin's Glen. I know my father has a bunch of nice 35MM snaps. Maybe at some point I'll go through his stuff, and post a few. They aren't very different than the ones posted in the other thread. That's how I remember the cars. Dusty, and parked right next to the wall.

I am NOT hijacking the Walter Medlin thread, but I did, however, find some snaps of the P3/4 (412P). Here's one from when we bought the car and got it home. This picture may be "right off the trailer." I really don't remember. It had mufflers at the time, and my father used to actually drive me to SCHOOL in it! Needless to say, I was quite the envy of the future motorheads in Jr. High... It's circa 1974.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice!

Careful if you want anonimity as they have slueths lurking here that'll figure out the VIN and you r home address based upon photo evidence! LOL!

"Well those spruce trees in the background indicate the East Coast in early Spring, and the Spyder configuration was only seen ....."

ROTFLMAO!

As a photog thru High School, I had a lot of 'thumb pictures' as well.....at least an SLR reminds you your lens cap is still on.....:rolleyes:

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice!
    BT

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I give it 15 minutes...sitting back, beer, popcorn, presses "refresh"

9. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    Ha Ha Ha!

*waits*

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #10 P4Replica, Nov 27, 2007
    Very nice - thank you for sharing that with us. :)
    Obviously the car still has all it's Dino Martin Jnr. road-going modifications at that stage.

11. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Already figured. You read my PM ? ;)

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    roadtripguy, meet our own Mr. Paul Skett......;)

*handshakes all 'round...*

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's in the Grey Box, upper RH of header there.............................................................................................../\ /\ /\

14. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #15 P4Replica, Nov 27, 2007
    Those photos were scanned from the November 1970 article in Motor Trend. I'm sure I had uploaded the scans previously (possibly to that same thread), but possibly they got lost in the FerrariChat server crash of December 2005. Here's the first page again, anyhow. :)

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wow,

I was going to email to say this was Dino Martin's car but by the time I finished reading the thread an extra page of postings occured...

Great car!

Regards,

Art S.

17. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Yes you tried to post in the thread I found with "search" but exceeded your post limit and made a new ID and got banned :)

18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #18 P4Replica, Nov 27, 2007
  19. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    I haven't seen that magazine article, or those pictures in YEARS. I have it somewhere.

Some notes on the Dino Martin car:

Note the kOOky mufflered exhaust in the picture. That stayed on for a while, while we street drove the car. The noise level was tolerable. Eventually when the car was restored back to original, proper headers were fabricated.

Rearview mirrors are in the wrong place.

Also note that the car has a COUPE rear deck, as it wasn't actually a spyder, but a coupe with the top cut off. It had a goofy fiberglass "cover" that hinged on when parked to "keep the rain out" when it was parked, I guess. Stupid and useless. When we converted the car back to it's proper coupe configuration, that fiberglass abortion was unceremoniously TOSSED. The aluminum hinges (which can be seen in the magazine scans and also my pic) are still in my junk box in the basement!

The car had the cooling lines run UNDER the car (as opposed to through the frame) to try to keep the cockpit heat down (piping discarded in short order and converted back to original upon our ownership).

The rear deck, in addition to the stupid incorrect exhaust holes and Ferrari script, also was missing the "trunk" if you look at the pics. The interior was also wrong at the time.

Of the 8 sets of points, most had broken springs, and were useless. This was also repaired in short order.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK everyone if I move 0850 into own thread?

21. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack Walter's thread. He is WAY too interesting/mysterious for that.

Do as you will, Mr. moderator.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You da Boss.........:D

We're just talking story, here!!!!

I agree though, did you send Walter a Christmas card too?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Let me know if you want me to rename the thread. Thanks.

24. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #24 P4Replica, Nov 27, 2007
    Thanks, Rob. Maybe '412P s/n 0850' might be better ? ;)

All this thread needs now is for David Castelhano to re-post some of his super photos of #0850's restoration, from this (same) thread:
    (referred to elsewhere - further down the page).

I think this particular one (or a very similar photo) may have influenced me at some point. ;)

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #25 Napolis, Nov 27, 2007
    Check out those photo's again carefully. Note cockpit air ducting. Compare with 0844 and 0854's. Think about central vs two upper nose inlets. Another mystery...

(0844)
    (0854)
    (0850)