0858 Poll | Page 3 | FerrariChat

0858 Poll

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, May 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Share your thoughts on the rebody of 0858

1. I think it has enhanced the value of the car.

2. I think it has NOT enhanced the value of the car.

3. If I owned 0858, I would have done this.

4. If I owned 0858, I never would have done this.

5. If I owned 0858, I would be happy with the quality of the work.

6. If I owned 0858, I would NOT be happy with the quality of the work.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The photo of the engine stampings clearly show Typo 350 Can Am engine not P4 engine as do gearbox.

There are no P4 stampings on the engine showing it was an original P4 engine converted to a 350 Can Am engine by Ferrari.

There is also the separate issue that the engine in David's "0900" seems to have the same serial # as the engine in 0858.

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sorry for any confusion. I have been known to come down on both sides of an issue before.I stand by my comments to express my opinions. tongascrew

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I realise you are not involved in this rebuild/restoration and if you were would do things differently. At the same time your reputation with these cars is only exceeded by D.P. who I am sure will feel you looking over his shoulder. The final result will I am sure be controvercial as already brought out in this whole discussion of the English Wheel. It would be nice if there still were pannel beaters with the skills and molds [bucks] of those in the 1950s and 60s. My impression of what D.P. does is that it is as close to the oroginal as is possible today. The Can Am body I understand will remain with the car and and can be shown with it. If Pebble refuses the car it is their loss and a loss to those paying the big bucks for ticlets. I expect this rebuild will be superbly done and the result will enable the car to be a headliner no matter which side of the entrance gate. The market place my be the final judge for some but others will go beyond the money to what the car really represents. tongascrew

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I understand the CanAm body is to remain with this car as it should be and I agree with the "time passes" comment. The discussion of the Bugatti,and so many others like it, is also a lesson to be learned from. tongascrew

5. peterkarvelas

peterkarvelas Karting

Jun 2, 2006
    RSA-Johannesburg
    An abortion?

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    George, George

"It would be nice if there still were pannel beaters with the skills and molds [bucks] of those in the 1950s and 60s."

There are and the original P4 bucks, molds and wireframes are still in Modena as well as those who are very skilled at using them.

"My impression of what D.P. does is that it is as close to the oroginal as is possible today."

Not true.

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I'm getting it now.

But from where I'm sitting, my view is that the car once was a P4,... so it can correctly be returned to that configuration. Whether it's being done properly is another issue.

I get that a more original car / authentic car is being altered to a less original / authentic, but arguable more desirable car, and why it rubs many / most the wrong way.

While i won't go as far to call this sacrilege, or even wrong... (I'm assuming the Can Am body and any other bits being removed are being preserved... pretty safe assumption I think),... This would not be a car I'd seek out if I were looking for a P4.

Am I offended by what is being done?... No.

But would I do it?... No.

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Anyone?

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think it would be very similar to what we've read here and on the other 0858 thread. Possibly even more radical, given the sort of feeling the GTO conjures up.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I knew when I put up this post I would hear from you. I think you will agree that D.P has decades and a wide variety of experiences with the P cars. His career just behind the wheel is unrivaled and his shop experience is legendary. It seems a mystery that something must prevent him from wanting to make use of all the original building equipment that is still in Modena. I am sure there are many of us out there who would do almost anything to get the two of you on a stage together for several houirs of Q and A. When you look at the number of posts in this thread alone, the depth of interest in these few cars is wihout equal. It is apparent that the two of you take different approaches to the subject which is part of what creates such fascination by so many. Maybe next fall/winter when things slow down you might consider putting pen to paper,or however you wish to express your thoughts. A dialogue with you and David Piper would of couse be the very top of any wish list. tongascrew

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    +1.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That would be the distance between Mr Piper and Modena.

14. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am sure that is very true today and for some past time.There was however a time when S F had the P series cars heading for the famous scrap heap. I am yet to be any kind of real authoity on the subject but from what I understand Enzo for what ever reason was happy saying so long to the P cars in just about anyway. When D P built, raced and sold his reproductions with so much original P series parts in them things changed. I am sure others out there have good stories along these lines. Let's hear some. tonascrew

15. 250GTTDFZagatoCoupe

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh Richter
    +1

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    If you want to cover all the bases then call it the P4,Springbok,CanAm, Piper Talacrest Ferrari.That way you may believe you make everyone happy when in fact at least you got the first part right. tongascrew

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Who restored 0858?

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Piper in 2013.