09’ 612OTO POS coolant light flashing needle gone a-pillar rust bubble floor leather peel....... | FerrariChat

09’ 612OTO POS coolant light flashing needle gone a-pillar rust bubble floor leather peel.......

Discussion in '612/599' started by johns930, Dec 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    I used to post everyday but now I don’t drive much so can only post when I have issues :mad::mad::mad: 612 or Ferraris in general do have lots of issues :confused::confused:

Car has 29k miles.
    I think I saw some other guy with the same coolant issue of the water temp needle went hot then disappeared, then it happened to me
    I needed to add 2 liters of coolant mix to top it off, coolant light still on and needle still gone.
    It happened almost immediately after I drove off after stopping for about an hour.
    Surprised if its overheating because the weather is cold, I do see a faint of steam coming out from the right wheel well but not much, not like the normal overheating steam shooting all over the place like they show on TV. I wonder if hot coolant came out of the reservoir filler cap and drained down the neck to the connectors, wires, or sensors underneath and made it coo coo.
    Fingers crossed it’s just a reset away not water pump or other big items :rolleyes::(
    And while I was playing around with the ignition to see if the coolant light will go out and needle back , the tranny fluid low warning came up on the screen o_Oo_O but gone again after 3 restarts o_O

Now I read about the A pillar or door mirror area rust bubbles and considered myself lucky not to have them, but to my surprise I found I start to develop them a few months back around the upper A pillar area and it gets bigger on BOTH SIDES!! :(

Wont even go into the sticky interior thing, but my OTO all leather floor which I’m so proud of when new start to peel back due to over stretched or poorly glued leather on the passenger door sill years ago.

To this day I keep thinking to myself, my 612 is my most beautiful Ferrari, I think it looks better after 11years, but lately I begin to think I’m brain washing myself with all these stupid issues. Plus with the prices of these things now, I’m lucky if I can get 1/4 of the money I paid :(

Of course I like how it drives and everything especially with how the new Michelin PS4S grips even in bad weather, awesome tire for the car
    But the old suspension tech for the 612 really can’t be compared with the lexus like ride of the 488 or even the 458, it’s too choppy now for today’s rides, otherwise it handles ok for something this big and old. Pretty sure it’s the most fun big GT car of its time.

Well, before I go into the shop, hope someone can comfort me on my coolant light issues, after I straightened this zh!t out, it’s gonna get parked again, so OTO can reach GTO prices some day. :):)
    Cheers!

Makuono likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you are seeing faint steam emanating and you had to add 2 liters of coolant, I would say you have a leak somewhere. A coolant leak in any 11 year old car is not unheard of.

As far as the transmission fluid low light. Ferraris tend to throw off codes that can go away. One other thing you might check though is the battery. A weak battery will could cause this event.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Likely one of the coolant hoses under the plenum or to the tank. Ferrari upgraded some of its coolant hoses to silicone, but most of the smaller ones were still just rubber with short lives, especially if the coolant was not changed regularly.

If you are lucky, it is just a loose hose connection, but it needs to be checked. If one of the plenum hoses, the intake manifold will need to be removed to replace. Not a big deal, but usually a two man job getting that big hummer off the top of the V12.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If I try to start my 612 too quickly after turning the key, I will often see various codes. Usually the steering malfunction, but sometimes "electrical malfunction." If I'm driving the car regularly and patient when starting, I don't have any issues.

Makuono and Mor like this.
  5. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    2 months ago my 599 loosed 0,5l coolant on the floor. I tried to find leakage, but nothing was there on the drivers side. Afther I filled it up, for next almost 2000km nothing happened. This car surprises me everyday, despite the time I own it and repair everything myselfs.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

m5shiv likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, I learned early on in my ownership to wait 10 seconds for the amber engine symbol to go out before shifting into gear and driving off.

donv likes this.
  7. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Listen to yourselves, if we weren’t on the same boat, I say we all are crazy to put up with these things.

ok, I understand I might have a coolant leak, but why coolant temp light keep flashing after I park it overnight and needle still gone? Should be stone cold. Sensor gone bad so it stays that way after it failed? Or it’s like a kill switch thing, every time the needle go into the red, it needs reset by a diagnostic tool??
    Already made an appointment with the shop but was hoping it will be one of those temperamental sensor messages that go out sometimes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and someone posted pics of my GTO with speciale rims, I have the same set on my 612 sometimes:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennpository-video-clips-and-other-online-videos/840875-612-speciale.html

Makuono likes this.
  8. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    There are two under plenum hoses. One is available from Scuderia Rampante. The 180 degree hose, that one is the weakest IMHO and you can see my thread on how I perma solved it. Sounds like you need to replace the temp sensor as well.

9. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Thank u!

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
  11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #12 m5shiv, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Technically, I didn't use 181599, I used the SR version of 181599.

I copied the idea of the hard line from the prodrive 550 race car, but added the quick release so that belts can be serviced without removing the intake.

@MRY is planning a different approach though....

Camp Freddie and Makuono like this.
  12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Yes, it's a cult.

13. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    From my last time when the coolant hoses really burst and left me on a tow truck this was my shops solution, notice all the zip ties, he said it never gonna burst again, and this time I think it’s somewhere else, and may have a bad water temp sensor too, I’ll report back when they diagnostic it.
    That was exactly 5 years ago :(:( :

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennpository-video-clips-and-other-online-videos/907074-612-issues.html

14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Those zip ties look pretty janky to me and will have zero effect IMHO. This is not the way !!! You need a different shop. Seriously.

15. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Hahaha I find it very funny can’t see them when everything’s back together, doesn’t hinder me from winning any concours I hope :D:D
    I also notice that right after I start the engine, the fan goes on, maybe it’s because the temp sensor went bad so fans on default.

16. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I must be missing something because I don't see the humor in this. Anybody care to explain ?