1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 33 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #801 moriaan1, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Its impossible to compare diecast factorybuilt models with handbuilds, and then there is whitemetal, resin and the variety in scales.

I have had a lot of different ones in different scales..
    1:12 modelworkshop, closed and based on Tamiya RC.
    1:14 Brianza, handmade old school model, very very nice but not very accurate.
    1:43 Make up, shape is not very good, but assembly is fantastic.
    1:43 Heco its one f my favourites
    1:43 bbr baby of my 1:24
    1:43 MR / Bosica open/close.. dont like the thickness of the panels in resin

I have the bosica 1:43 GTO one of the builds made by Bosica, you are never sure Bosica built it in person, he used several topbuilders for assembly (as for the F1's).
    Also have the 1:24 bbr GTO, the rarest bbr model there is (no color-variations or limited edition nonsence..;-)

The ones I really like?
    Michele Conti 1:10 body made in brass..
    The Jacques brauer 288GTO in 1:43.
    Both pieces of art, not 100% accurate but unique and handmade by masters!!

The amalgam is one I would never buy..
    Not my cup of tea...
    Not the kind of models I collect, the F40 is the last Ferrari made when Enzo was alive, after that.. its simply not interesting The 60's are my focus.
    If i would collect large scale, Patrice de Conto or a scratch built by Marshall Buck is my first choice.. Pure art! The skills and talent of the builder makes a model unique.
    A model made by computer has a lot less appeal, Imperfections are no flaws, they give the model character, perfection is not my aim, the feel, look and soul are more important.

I know they are expensive...also a matter of choice.. there are collectors that accumulate models.. have 100's of bbr's in every imaginable color, I prefer less but rarer and models with a "signature"

The 1:8 Minidelta models are pure ART! Marshall is in the same league (cant say who is the best)

Christian.Fr likes this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree on that, the MInideltas 1/8 are probably the best thing money can buy in terms of models...also some of CMA 1/12 are just as incredible.

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Art is the best way to describe them.

The first time I saw the 335S in 1:8 at Patrick Badot I was hooked.
    It was mesmarizing... and I am not that easily convinced..

The 1:12 P3's are just as amazing... the rivets on the body are individually glued, what a job...

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I have never seen it in person, but i have spent a lot of time looking at the 335s pictures, if i could pick just one model that would be it!

5. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That thing is just sick, no other way to describe it, however i never felt much "atracted" to teh D 50, unlike the 315/335 wich i find alongside the 312p the most beautifull sports cars ever built.
    One thing that puzzles me is that minidelta 1/10 312P , although amazing lacks the rivets..seems strange they chose not to put them!
    Another thing funny is that although their 1/8 models are certainly expensive, from what i've heard they are on pair with some 1/8 prices from Amalgam!!! I like Amalgam but there is simply no comparaison!!!

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Thank you Hans for the review. I think I'll start a "288 GTO in Models" thread. I would like to discuss the hand built models some more.

-F

8. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #808 furmano, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think Peter winfield is building one....

10. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    All good thoughts. Just to divert for a moment...

I appreciate that you value art and not so interested in perfect mass production. I have recently discovered Fred Suber's work and I think it has an artist touch. Compare his 1:12 312 with Andy Mathews' version. Mr. Suber's work has character and texture. But also, he can achieve craft with production parts.

For me the most important thing is proportion and I agree with Marshall Buck that ride height and the wheels are very important. Next important are the details. The have to be appropriate for the scale and cleanly applied.

The 288 GTO is a difficult shape to reproduce. If it's too short it looks like a strange 328. If it's too long it looks melted, especially with the oversized fenders of the GTO.

So that's what I look for, a good shape and good proportions and then good, clean details. For me, companies like BBR and Amalgam and CMC fit that.

But I am learning more about the craft makers too like AMR, Bosica, Suber, Steve Barnett, etc.

We have a lot of options today.

-F

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I appreciate the very kind mentions guys, thank you!

Yes we all do have a lot of options with models, which overall is a pretty good thing.

With regard to my views on important areas on models, and this goes for what I personally collect as well as for everything I build......I would like to make it clear, that I DO place great emphasis on getting body shapes and ALL proportions correct - that is critical. If the body isn't right..... then there is nothing you can do to fix that, or make it a good model. Then of course in addition to the body, are all the other details.... all of which pull together a model, including the very important ride height, and wheels & tires.

With that said, I do also have a number if pieces that come very close to being correct, but are certainly not exact, not surgically perfectly replicated CAD models. Some are favorites and quite rare. Same as Hans, I appreciate the artistry that goes into these models. So I also see a fine line between artistry, and exactness, which is very difficult to define and explain.

And.... I happen to believe that the work of Patrice de Conto is fabulous. I would love to add one of his pieces to my own collection, and highly recommend these to anyone who wants the best.

Marshall Buck

12. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #812 PeterWPro, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #813 F1tommy, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Wheels needs more realism, for the rest, it looks great.
    The steering wheel is black...

15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    One of my favorite sports cars. Looks fairly decent, though I can see some issues, but I'll reserve any criticisms until I see the final product.

16. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Are going to put an order or pre order? I am fit the TESTAROSSA...
    In case you will receive the Dino it will nice to have a feed back, with some detailed pictures.

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

The Testarossa overall looks better. I will not pre-order the Dino. There are too many areas that bother me on this one, so I will wait at least to see final photos of a production model, and then maybe look at one in person. I can already see that they tires are wrong, and window trim on doors is not correct, and from what little I can see in one angled photo....the front grill area might also have a problem.

With past pre-orders, I have been disappointed too many times by manufacturers who do not bother to correct any of the flaws shown on their prototype and hand sample models. Unfortunately....I do not have confidence that Top Marques will correct anything on this model.

I already have in my collection the 1:18 Kyosho limited edition model which is more accurate than this larger Top Marques model, and I also have a 1:14 Brianza model with opening panels. So.... I am not sure that this new Top Marques piece will find its way into my collection. Time and better photos will decide.

18. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    The brianza is a very nice classic model, not perfect, but its looks very realistic..
    Its a very nice piece!

The TR is very good but can easily be improved. I would color the panellines in a darker shade of red and the interior needs a more realistic appearance. Some small thing like the air valves can use a bit of detailing. Minor changes that would make it much better to look at

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Dino looks OK, but no door openers and the black steering wheel? :(

Regards, Alberto

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well this is a sample - pre-production piece, so hopefully door handles/openers and the color of the steering wheel spokes will be corrected, but we will all just have to wait and see.

21. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Yes Alberto, original Momo is not full black, and it seems full black on this Dino.
    Do you have a picture??

22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Great news, Lusso, thanks for the reply, I m very impatient to have one in my display. Just for seeing the most beautiful Ferrari cars side by side, I mean Tr & 288 GTO. Stunning design for 1984.

23. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Thanks Norrian, great to have your feedback.;)

24. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    The TR never came with shields from the factory. That's a miss in my opinion.