1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 44 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I m not an addict of big collections, as you say: is better to have a few models, and better if these ones are made in small series.

Now my budget is limited and not extensible, I always do thing with what I can do. Others responsabilités or if you prefer others choices.

Sometimes, I see some incredible collections, very large collection in 1/18 or 1/43 Believe me or not but I can t understand the reason of these large collections.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I bought a Top Marque Ferrari 275 GTB/4 in 1/12th really really cheap to see what it looked like and will say the build quality is pretty good. They did make some big errors with the wire wheels being the main issue. They measure to by around just under 14 inches to scale. The 275 GTB/4 had 15 inch wheels. Also the front grill opening is not 100 % correct. I will convert it to a 275 GTB/C Lemans 1966 model with decals, new wheels and engine cover. The cockpit is ok but very simple. Overall it looks like the car in person, but the small wheels make it look really strange.

Only buy these if you can get them on sale or marked down or the errors don't bother you. For the crazy people like me Hiro makes superb wire wheels in 1/12th scale, but they may go out of production soon.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Tom, in photos I've seen the dashboard looks like it is for a 275 GTB, not the later revised GTB/4 dash..... Which dash does this model come with?

Christian.Fr likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It has a wood dash, and the detail is not very crisp. I will have to do a lot of work on the dash as I want a right hand drive GTB/C dash. Overall it's the right shape and the gauges are in the correct position but the decal printing is just ok.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  5. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I will interested to see the final result with your modifications

6. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    F1tommy, Correction if I may: the 275 GTB/4 did NOT have 15 inch wheels. The 4-cam had the same wheels as the long-nose 275 two-cam, either the Campgnolo 7 x 14 or the Borrani RW4039, also 7 x 14. The GTB/C yes had 15 inch wheels, Borrani RW 4010/4011, except one I recall had Campagnolo cast wheels. The grille of a 4-cam is different than that of a 2-cam.

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks Tom. I'm guessing that beside incorrectly having wood finish that it is missing the protruding surround for the gauges.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sorry your right about the non racing cars having 14 inch wheels. The problem that makes them look funny on this model is their poor quality. Overall I like the model other than the wire wheels. I will post photos after I finish turning it into a 275 GTB/C Lemans 1966 with 15 inch wheels and outside wire fronts.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They do have simplified surrounds but not 100% correct. This company needs to focus on the details. Why come this far and then fall short in some areas. Get the models 100 % correct please!!

10. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
  11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    A Ferrari 500 Mondial in 1/12 in kit form would be nice. I would buy one from Profil24 if they made it.

-F

bwshihtzu likes this.
  12. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    It seems that there are no Daytona Competizione, I fear there is only the Spyder, due to end of Ferrari license for MFH:
    It was certainly planned, as we can see on the photo-etched parts, which include the front spoiler and front mesh from the Competizione versions...

13. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Be patient, december has 31 days. ;)

14. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I have seen a new F40 in résine... Another one, I want to say. Top Marques à think
    Nobody think about a LM version...

15. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Time to get on my soapbox and criticize another new release; GP Replicas GP1209A is now out, this is the Monza winner #3- compared to the CMR release a few months ago of the #21 Lemans car there are some drastic differences, each model has positives and negatives:
    -the shape of the nose on the GP Replicas is better [but not perfect] and the ride height is lower
    -the nose outlet on the GPR is smaller and the radiator fin areas is too low
    -GPR has photetched door window frame trim while CMR painted it
    -GPR has a much more detailed dash, the seats however are too glossy
    -the most disturbing factor on the GPR is how the roundels fit on the doors and intake areas decal can't conform very well to this space
    -the wheels have more offset on the GPR ,but no tire valve, and the diameter looks too large
    -on the rear the GPR has spoiler rivets painted in chrome and better taillights, but the rear wheels look to be too far inwards
    -difficult choice between the two as to which is better. The winner here would the MFH kit; but unless you are a Master Modeler the kit is very hard build and to get body to fit well- commissioning a builder would be expensive to say the least.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr likes this.
  16. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Lusso123, NürScud and Christian.Fr like this.
  17. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I prefer the Gpr, than CMR looks more realistic. MFH must to have time for built it, I think it s a great experience and final result must be excellent.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I like the GPR version also, but the Hiro is by far the most detailed and best overall.

By the way, Hiro has renewed their Ferrari license and will do a bunch of Daytona Competions and a street coupe in 1/12th scale now :)

Here are a few more 1/12th Lancia S4's from Top Marques. They are really doing a lot of rally cars in 1/12th scale.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr likes this.
  19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Great information David. That helped me make my firm decision..... So I won't be buying either the GP Replicas or the CMR piece, too many flaws on each. To me they are both a waste of money unless you absolutely have to have one for various reasons. I am disappointed, but that's how it goes with all of the so-called model manufacturers these days. I'm trying to stay with better pieces unless it's a model of a car I desperately want. I will be selling off some models I have that just aren't up to the level that I want. Anyone interested in a 1:12 CMR Ford GT40, 1968 Le Mans winner? Mine is going up for sale.

20. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
  21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Model Factory Hiro has listed a lot of new 1/12th scale model kits. The competition Daytona's will be out in March 2019. Also listed the 365 GTB/4 Berlinetta

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr likes this.
  22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    335 S 57 and Daytona LM byPozzy...

bwshihtzu likes this.
  23. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
    Damn shame they are not making the 335 S 57 in 1/12. That would be epic!

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They already made it in 1/12th scale.