1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 45 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
  2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well I have the Top Marques Ferrari 250 GTL Lusso in 1/12th and other than the front grill and wheels it looks extremely nice. I plan on replacing the wire wheels with a set from Hiro. Already have 1 Hiro wheel done. I have 4 of their models now(GP Replicas and Top Marques). They all have pretty well done bodies. The person(persons) doing the masters has a pretty good eye. 85% of the models are done top quality and the other 15 percent toyish. They are a good company I think but they need to go to 100% top quality. If you consider they cost half as much as a Hiro kit you can understand why they do some cost cutting, but a photoetch grill would not have cost that much more. Strange thinking on their part. I do really like the Lusso and it will look stunning with the Hiro wires.

Lusso123 likes this.
  4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That sounds very encouraging Tom. What color did you get? Would like to see some photos when you can.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Here is the 1/12th Lusso with test fitted Hiro wheel rims. The only thing I have to measure is the rear end to make sure it is wide enough between the tail lights(it looks narrow to me). Otherwise not bad at all other than the front grill and some cars had Pininfarina logos on the side. I am using the Top Marques tires.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr likes this.
  6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That's all good to know. Thank you! Looks pretty darn good, and yes, noted about the grill form long ago. Anyway, the price is certainly right. I'll probably replace the wipers too.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Otto is doing the San Remo 1977 winning Alitalia Lancia Stratos in 1/12th scale. Should be out this month.

Attached Files:

Christian.Fr likes this.
  8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Looks pretty detailed

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Having seen many models from both Matrix and Top Marques (in person), which includes 1:12 and 1:18, there is no question that Matrix produces superior quality models. BUT.... since these two companies don't make the same models, collectors have to accept what is offered by Top Marques.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  12. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    No question MFH is the best there is; but you need to be a Master Modeler to assemble them, compared to a Tamiya kit these are much, much more difficult--I admire yours I don't have the talent anymore for this level, as much as wish I had.

crinoid and Scaledetails like this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As I've said, you have to be a "hero" to build a Hiro!:D:D

14. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thank you! I have to give credit to my friend Michael, a retired engineer. He built these for me, and I have to agree that there is nothing better in that scale. I have looked at all the products available in 1/12, and nothing compares. Also not a big fan of static resin models. The substantial weight alone on these MFH's proves they are major league museum masterpieces. It's as close to the real car as you can get. More pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid and Christian.Fr like this.
  15. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Excellent work Stephane.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    crinoid and Christian.Fr like this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm building the Hiro Porsche 917 right now and built a F-1 87 Ferrari. I don't think they are that great at all. the fit of the pieces is poor, as is the casting. For the money you would think they would have better engineered parts. The white metal is really poorly done - lots of bubbles in the castings. Tamiya models while in all plastic are far better engineered, and can be highly detailed. Hiro does try to provide a high level of detail, and you do have to be a craftsman & engineer to assemble one of their models. it can be fun and painful all in the same evening.

I'd rather spend more on Hiro - if they had better finished parts that were well prepared. As for the instructions - they look good - but don't always provide all the detail needed on orientation of parts etc... you have to resort to prototype pictures to really see what & how things are assembled. the f-1 87 was terrible to put together, so far the 917 has been ok, but i'm no where near fitting the body yet... the engine however has gone together well.. if not some challenges.

Lusso123 and Christian.Fr like this.
  18. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Pictures are welcome

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  20. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Hi Tom,

You are correct on some level, I have found out that some MFH models are great and perfect builds and some can be your worst nightmare. This is why I have hired an engineer to do the builds for me, as guys like us should not attempt to mess with what is involved with correcting the manufacturer's fitment issues, unlabeled parts, poor decals, and lack of instructions. What I like about Michael (my builder) is he will go well beyond the actual instructions and adds even more details where you wouldn't even notice, hence make the model as close to the real car as possible.
    With that said, based on what each MFH kit comes with as far as cast and machined parts etc, I don't think there is a better buy out there. Yes, it may take 300 hours to get one perfected, but I think that is money well spent for the kit alone, even if you were to do just the engine assembly.
    He also laughs at me when I ask him about the plastic Tamiya models, I did a side by side comparison with a 126C2, and it was really a joke. The difference in price is so worth it, even if it is 4 times that. Plus the weight difference is atmospheric. I would say you get what you pay for, but not even for Tamiya models. Let me rephrase that. I used to like Tamiya models, until I saw my first finished MFH.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree but I like tamiya a lot

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    traind, Scaledetails, spirot and 2 others like this.