1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 46 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Guys you are artist!

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Love your 917 shell!

fitting the cross members in the engine cradle is a PITA! I started to wire up the circuit board and fuse block last night but started to get a headache from using my magnifying glasses and being bent over for so long. I'm wiring the gauges and switch panel to the fuse block and then running main cable to the engine & alternators.

I did not know that the 917 was literally two 6 cyl engines bolted to a common crank... with separate distributers et...

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As for the exhaust - love your 330 ... very well done!!!!!

what I hate is the metal rods are all bent and twisted do you have to straighten them out first, then prep them drill etc... I think it would be much better kit if it was built with pre engineered steel rods that could be either soldered or screwed together.

once I have it all glued in place I'm going to solder the main joints for the suspension so they don't fall off. the wheels are a lot of weight.

The exhaust on the 917 were actually easy to fit... surprisingly.... the engine frame was terrible to fit and is slightly twisted I could not get it 100% square. So I'm worried about its fitment in the body...

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    GP Replicas 1/12th F1 car line up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christian.Fr likes this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    gt4me and Christian.Fr like this.
  6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    GT Spirit has announced and is showing some new 1:12th releases. They all have problems. I think they should just stick to 1:18 scale which they seem to produce decent models for the money.

I was briefly excited when I saw three great choices pictured... all in 1:12 scale. Ferrari Daytona Spyder, Lamborghini Miura, and Jaguar E-Type Roadster. Looking at the GT Spirit photos, it was all too easy to see that ALL three of them have bodies with shape problems, various detail mistakes, and interior detailing on each looks like a cheap toy... like a Barbie doll plastic toy car. If they had been good I would be ordering all three, but all are a no sale for me. It really is a shame. With a little more effort, and knowledge about these cars they could have been worthwhile. The people at GT Spirit are clueless, and it appears they only care about cranking out models like a sausage factory.

Scaledetails and bwshihtzu like this.
  7. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    I think the Daytona looks decent, even better than the Hiro kit for the front part. Interior are very basic in these cheap 1/12 indeed, ok for closed body cars but on Spyder, it is more a problem!
    Miura is really wrong... Jaguar is not my cup of tee, so I don't judge ^^
    But of course I don't have your eyes Marshall ;-)

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, it is better than the MFH kit, but still has too many of its own problems. The profile shape of rear is wrong as are numerous details. Interior is a joke. And for their sales photos they put the prancing horse in the left front side light backwards!

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looks a lot better than I was expecting

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    But it is simply not good enough for the large scale.

12. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    Your're right, for the scale we would except much more fine details!
    I loved what Autoart did on some older 1/12 for a decent price.
    I would gladly pay 2 or 3 times the cost of these GT Spirit for a nice 1/12 with correct shape and details!

traind likes this.
  13. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I completely agree with you. While not 100% correct, but extremely close, and great value for the money, AutoArt did make some great 1:12 models. I have their Jaguar D-Type, and am very happy with it. Like you, I would would gladly pay more for a nice/very good model with correct shape and great details.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Nice to see your progress Tom.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The final production version of the 512BB looks better. Also if you want a W196 in 1/12th you should buy one of the GP Replicas 1/12th models. They are really pretty good other than a few details. If you don't mind painting the wheels and doing a wash for the panel lines it can be a very good model. The #18 car body is correct with no bulge on engine cover. The #20 and #22 cars should have a bulge that is missing on the model. Also the rear wheel side scoops are to small, more like the 1955 cars.

By the way, they seemed very interested even more than usual in doing the prototype cream colored Ferrari 275 GTB4 Spyder 1/12th scale alloy Sebring 1967 car. I think they will do it later this year. One nice thing is that car has cast alloy wheels, so no cheap looking wire wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  17. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Looks great so far; don't forget to add the brake lines,,,,,,,,,,,

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yep those are towards the end since the piping is so fine

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Here is the 1/12th GP Replicas W196 I worked over. I dropped the height as these cars really sat low in the body. The model is really not bad at all other than some toy like details and wheels that needed to be painted. I also weathered it slightly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr, gt4me and energy88 like this.
  20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Looks very good. Nice work. One of the very few good models by Top Marques.

21. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That looks great Tommy.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name: