1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 48 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

GREAT work as always Tom!!

Christian.Fr likes this.
  2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I was saying this because of the lack of common sense when a brand display a new model.
    Imagine a Audi with BMW logo in front car... Just stupid.

etienne likes this.
  3. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Finally the best way to have a real nice model, with all characteristics is to built it by yourself. :)

Lusso123 likes this.
  4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

You're right! I agree!!

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So tonight’s work - now starts the worst part of a Hiro kit build - body fitment.

I was hopeful this would be actually a good fitting model-WRONG!!!!!!!

Horrible gaps and the rear overhang I don’t even know where to start... oh well no more painting till body work fits! I have a feeling this will be a display with the tail section in the up position Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Christian.Fr likes this.
  6. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    Nice work on the Porsche! I'm curently working on the 330 P4 from MFH but I screwed the decal on the door: impossible to apply, it cracked even with Microsol, way too thick for curvy parts... I don't know what to do now :(

7. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Unfortunately both of these issues [ body fit and decal quality] are common with MFH kits-most builders display with bodywork open, or do massive amounts of fitting, filling and recontouring shapes ,etc. The most logical solution to me is to buy the ready built resins and only build on of these for the exposed chassis look. You can contact Koko at MFH and try to obtain another P4 decal sheet, but the problem remains, too thick film. It might worth trying to paint the white roundel?

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So can you buy the decals from either a lotus or Honda or Ferrari Tamiya kit and use those? not sure what number you are using. but I think the numbesr roundels from the 312b kit would look just about right.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think what I'm likely going to do is lengthen the rear deck lid sides with some styrene strips and then use putty to fill in the body.... and contour the sides. I'll have to trim the fiberglass trays at the back. the other fit problem is that when you put the nose piece on it fits perfect on one side but the other side leaves a gap... so not sure yet ... I think if I cut the inside of the back cockpit wall, and then heat the body I can stretch it just enough, then come back and fill it in.....

I just don't get why their fit is SO horrible. also the instructions while they are pretty... don't cover key build points.... this is what drives poor fitment... the use of the zinc alloy white metal that gets bent is also a problem... the engine sub frame on the 917 twists like butter... it would be better to invest in higher quality materials for the metal parts... so that they fit tightly out of the box, vs. all the craftsman stuff you have to do. charge another $200 or what ever to cover the cost.

suspension pieces - stuff that is critical to a good looking model - should be machined pieces ... vs poor castings.... out of cheap weak metal.

If I was building this for a customer - you would have to charge huge amounts because of all the work to fix the poor quality in the kit. this one went together a bet better than the last one... but still some of the build was just stupid - and not explicitly covered in the instructions.

Lusso123 likes this.
  10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Wow... what a huge amount of extra work you have done, and still have to do. Big disappointment. I have one of these kits set aside for myself, and though I can certainly do all of the extra work... I'm not sure that I want to. I knew there would be some problems, but not to the extent now shown. I guess if I do proceed one of these years... I'll certainly expect to reshape, cut & fit a lot of the body before doing any body painting..... or maybe I'll just buy another curbside 917, and just build the engine and various components to display with it. Who knows.... Anyway thank you for sharing your photos, and experience with this!

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    To be clear - the picture just shows the mock up of the body on the chassis. however once you press fit everything there still are gaps of 1/8 inch to a 1/16th... I had to remove a side pod, and trim it down a bit so I that will help with the overall front fit. the internal fenders need to be trimmed up, and I think that will bring the rear body work much closer... but I still have to fit rear windows and doors... the doors being metal is just re working them every so slightly till you get good gaps... the paint I have on the metal parts was a test... so still need to wet sand and flatten it, then do couple more coats. The orange on side pods is pretty much final but I now have it all masked off to protect the finish.

12. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    Here is where I anm today with the P4
    Yes there is a a lot of work to adjust body parts to the chassis so everything fits correctly when closed, but I feared much worse on this one, surprising well done![​IMG]
    The Porsche 956L is much worse (engine hood to narrow for example)
    Still a lot of small details to retouch, correct, and a new set of decals to order. I managed to apply on the other door without a catastrophy ^^will need to add some paint and then clear coating...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1456[/url] by noverraz jean-michel, sur Flickr[/IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1456 by noverraz jean-michel, sur Flickr

Image Unavailable, Please Login H4xre+g4Td69yi3AaO3UvA_thumb_145a by noverraz jean-michel, sur Flickr
    Image Unavailable, Please Login aUzH3j4TQ%ehM+tVrKiTEA_thumb_1458 by noverraz jean-michel, sur Flickr
    Image Unavailable, Please Login UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1457 by noverraz jean-michel, sur Flickr

traind, crinoid, GirchyGirchy and 3 others like this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Sharknose likes this.
  14. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Parfaite!

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I wonder if anyone at MFH actually attempts to build one of their kits before they release them for sale? As I've said, you have to be a "hero" to build a "Hiro"! I'll stick to built-ups.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They do test fit builds on every model. You can see it on their website. I agree they do make a lot of mistakes just like on the built ups models(in general less mistakes than the built up makers). You can clean up the built makers models, but out of the box they normally have a few issue and are toy like in alot of areas. I sometimes wish Hiro would just open up the motors and leave everthing else closed. That would solve a lot of the fit issues. Also Hiro wire wheels are hard to make but are 10 times better than any built up photoetch wire wheels I have seen on any model under $5000.00, although the W196 GP Replicas photoetch wires look good after being painted silver. The tires on the W196 were also to big in back.

17. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I know, it s 1/5 scale but as an amateur of the reduced world, I always love that since very young and always notice good work and passion people.

A look behind the scenes of Amalgam Collection’s Bristol workshop. Thier master model maker Gareth is currently working on a very special 1/5 scale model for a customer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

traind and gt4me like this.
  18. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    traind, piloti, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

I would be much more impressed if this big GT40 was made without relying on 3D scanning and all the CAD 3D modeling Amalgam does, which makes it all very easy for them.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That Hobby Shop diorama is fantastic!! Truly superb skill, artistry, and craftsmanship is shown.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  21. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Yes completely agree, ezay and expensive comparing the hours working for a diecast handle made.

22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Incredible, he touch heart and mind at the same time

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I have a MFH 250 GTO series II, LM '64 kit for sale in anyone is interested. Posted the listing in Classifieds of Ferrari Parts & Collectibles.

Christian.Fr likes this.