1/18 news | Page 34 | FerrariChat

1/18 news

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furoni, Jan 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    GMP photos were very early stage, showing a rough sample - not really a good representation of final product.

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well here we go again..... The "brain trust" at Top Marques have decided that it is a good idea to jump on the bandwagon and produce some 1:18 models of the Dino 246 GT. I will give them credit for actually making surprisingly good 1:12th models of the Dino GT and GTS, but trying to maximize profits with their upcoming mediocre at best 1:18 is a big step down. Keep in mind that the Dino's have already been produced in the thousands by Anson, and later Mattel in the thousands, and then there was a very limited run of excellent models from Kyosho (red and yellow), and recently BBR has shown that they also have this coming out in the not too distant future, and it looks pretty good, and they will produce a lot of these in different colors, just as they always do. The Anson and Mattel models are the only ones with opening panels; these three others are all sealed resin, so they are all very much the same in basic static form, but not equal in quality, detail and accuracy. What amazes me is the blatant attempt to cash in with another so-so model. It wouldn't be quite as egregious if these TM Dino models were very good (which they are not) or if they were original (which they are not) or if they offered something new and unique (which they do not). The Top Marques models have too many flaws, and are another example of wasted resin. Initially you might think they don't look so bad, but when studying them, many of the flaws start to jump out. By the way, 3/4 view photos such as the ones here often hide or partially disguise flaws in body shape, etc.

There are so many cars not yet modeled that should be made, and would sell very well if made to a decent and accurate level, which they could do with a little effort....

Here are some pics of the Top Marques 1:18 Dino "model things."

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I posted a "wanted" ad in the classifieds, but thought I would tap into the expertise here...

I am looking for a 1:18 scale Maserati Granturismo Convertible (preferably in blue).

Anyone know who makes one and where to get it?

Thanks in advance!

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Marshall, i want a decent 166mm in 1/18 scale. As you pointed out, the Tecnomodel is garbage, so no use buying it. You said the elite was much better (i was looking at the seats for example and the Elite seems to be more acurate in that department. I would like the Lm winner but not sure if the elite base would work ok with a set o decals? would it work better for the Mm winner version instead? i noticed the Tecnomodel version has got a second windshield folded over the hood, wich i believe is correct for the lm version, not sure if the mm also had it. So basicly, do you think i can have a decent model of the 166 using the elite as base?

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Pedro, you will need to use the Elite, and add extra parts (if you can) to make it accurate, but overall the Elite is a good starting point.

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ok, thanks, i'll do a little research on it, might be a fun project, i will try to gather as much pictures as i can of the lm winner.
    is the real car period correct, can i rely on it, or has it been modified regarding the 1949 car?

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The last few times I saw the real car in person, it was restored period correct. Interesting little fact (at least for me) is that the car was updated/corrected with details as it raced at Le Mans 1949, which was based on my research - photos I found in the Klemantaski archives, and subsequently asked Luigi Chinetti about to clarify what some of these details were. Chinetti was a big help, and then I went over all of that with Bob Baker who owned the car at that time, and he had all the corrections/revisions done.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That's great! i noticed the car seems to be dark red, a bit diferent from the colour the elite car uses right?
    The elite seats look pretty good (in contrast with the tecnomodel ones). Trickier part should be the folded windshield...
    I really like the 166, it's such a simple car, but with amazing lines, the Agneli version is so beautifull!

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, red is/should be darker, and seats are tan. But note that the Elite is a cross between a Lusso and comp version. For the comp - LM car, the interior should all be painted body color except for the seats, and no carpeting.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ...Thanks, i was wondering about the carpeting!

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've spotted on Ebay several offers of the 250 P by BBR. did I miss the announcement of this model?

12. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    you missed it
    BBR did it with black and white pics more than a year ago

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I almost missed it too..ordered mine last week!

14. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I am looking for a 1972 365 GTC4 in 1;18 and also a 66/67 330GT 2+2 single headlight and a late 62/63 250GTE all in 1;18. If we can get someone to make some good quality models I am a buyer. I would also consider a 68/70 365GT 2+2.

Chuck

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Check page 33 for teh 365 gtc/4 (you have 2 options, tecnomodel around 220€ or kk scale around 80€...it seems like the kk has better shape so a no brainer)...check page 32 for the 250gte from Matrix (around 250€ i guess)..as for the 365 gt i guess you can find it on BBR

16. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  17. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    330 GT 2+2 not available now
    you have to wait for BBR
    when they have done the 4 HL to death, 2 years later they will start with the 2 HL

18. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  19. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    365 GT Queen Mary
    not available
    a lot of owners and collectors are waiting for this model
    this is only a question of time

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The Tecnomodel 365 GTC/4 is not very good, many flaws, and those photos are not accurate - photo shop used again, and again by Tecnomodel. Wipers are photo etched, and only marginally better than KK. Other than that the KK model is much better, and happens to be bargain priced as well. Granted the KK is not perfect, but it is a better rendition of the car than the Tecnomodel piece.

21. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  22. jpsf1uk

jpsf1uk Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    Any idea about which Schumacher 1:18 model and brand are the best?thank you

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    hotwheels elite will probably your best bet

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have a Hot Wheels F2002 but it has no engine so I doubt if it would be an "Elite" model. Did Hot Wheels do an "Elite" F2002 or F2004 with a similar level of detail to, say, the Exoto F1 models? Or has anyone else?

25. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    As far as I remember in 1:18 the Schumacher models were Minichamps up to something like the 1997 or 1998 car. Then Hotwheels after that. I don't believe anyone else ever had the license and it was Schumacher making lots of money from licensing that switched Ferrari onto it. I have never seen a 1:18 Schumacher model (Ferrari or Benetton) with engine detail. Hotwheels did quite a lot of special editions relating to particular wins or whatever with the Schumacher figure in different poses or the car showing end of race dirt. I also have one with full Marlboro livery that I bought without actually noticing it had the Marlboro livery until I got it home!