1/18 news | Page 66 | FerrariChat

1/18 news

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furoni, Jan 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    There are many variables, and a number of answers to all.

2. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
  3. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Rosey and gt4me like this.
  4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    tonin0804, rysc97 and Rosey like this.
  5. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    tonin0804 and rysc97 like this.
  6. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    But perhaps a bit churlish to say that - still happier to have it in the collection than not.

gt4me likes this.
  7. legoman

legoman Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2009
    Slovakia
    Full Name:
    Boris
  8. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Yeah I was torn between the road version and that one - it looks good in the photos.

legoman likes this.
  9. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I just got mine, and it is a decent job on one of my favorite F1 Ferraris. But I verified an error in the wheels.

In 1966, Ferrari switched back and forth often between five-spoke wheels and perforated disc wheels. I've seen a number of photos from the race which show both 312s with five-spoke front wheels and disc rear wheels. But I also saw one photo of Parkes "yumping", apparently in practice (no driver's name on the cowl), with disc front wheels! (See below.) So at some point during the weekend, the car might have had five-spokes all around, as depicted on the model. I'm fine with the model the way it is.

As for those driver's names, they were apparently added only for the race. I have a large photo of Parkes negotiating the Karrussel with no name on the car, and another with Graham Hill's BRM right behind him, also with no names. But I also saw a photo of the starting grid, and all the cars have the driver's name on them, so in that regard, the kit is correct.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  11. canam350

canam350 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2004
    dublin, ireland
  12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I got the Looksmart 640 F1. Very nice model and scales well with the Exoto 641/2. It's a sealed body of course but the details are good (only thing I could find are the missing tire valves) and the lines are crisp.
    Unfortunately there are no Marlboro decals on or with the model, so I ordered them separately.

I like the 640 better than the later models because of those crisp lines. and it's the only Ferrari I've officially seen racing in period. Unfortunately Berger crashed out at Spa but right where we were so my brother took a few pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpsf1uk, Rosey and gt4me like this.
  13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looks great and tha ks for sharing the photos Peter.

14. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    It's missing the Marlboro signage on the engine cover behind the driver cockpit. Do you have the Exoto version and how does the suspension pieces compare if you do?

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Yes, the decals are missing. I ordered similar ones at https://www.tbdecalsmodels.com/1-18. I don't think I've bought from them in the past, will post here once I've got the decals.
    I do have the Exoto 641/2 and the suspension detail is very comparable. Brake detailing is similar too. The only difference is the drive shafts. On the Exoto they look metal (shiny black) whereas on the Looksmart they look the same matt black as all the suspension arms.
    Other details like the rear light and jack point are comparable. The only other difference I noticed is that the Exoto interior is more detailed and convincing. But I'm not too bothered about that.

16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I was there too! I might have bumped into you without knowing it. I was absolutely soaked by the end of the race. How come Spa, known for its rain, has only one grandstand with a roof (I think still does?). The friend I was with was so miserable he went back to sit in the car and dry out before the end. Anyway, sorry for the digression.

I also have the Exoto, the one with Mansell tearing off his visor (bought at a discount some years ago). You can say what you like about Exoto the company (and plenty do!) but they have made some great models and that's one of them. Although my favourite is the Villeneuve 312 T4 with umbrella.

17. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Baracus250GT, gt4me and SmokyDave like this.
  18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  19. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    HI guys. I was looking at some of my models the other day and my BBR 250 TRI61 - the Le Mans winner from 1961, caught my attention. The model has black seats and even stranger - all black dash. I searched everywhere for any pictures of the car in period, but they are all black and white and couldn't find a single one showing the interior. That Testa Rossa - serial number 0794 is in Peter Sachs' collection since the early '80s, from what I understand. On any modern day pictures, the car has all red dash matching the body and blue seats.
    There is a lot of combined knowledge on here and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject. I know BBR have made mistakes before, but in this case it makes no sense, since they would have gone out of their way to replicate the potential inaccuracies.
    I'm attaching pics of the model.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #1645 bigodino, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    It does look like an all black interior (le Mans 1961)
    Edit: sorry, this isn't 0794, but the NART entry at the same race.
    By the way I came across this great footage of that race. It's difficult to see, but 0794 might have also had an all black interior:

Rosey and gt4me like this.
  21. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
  22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Cant Remenber the looksmart version colours that i have... muito t be diferent

23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Well I finally got the decals in the mail this week. I've applied them onto the Looksmart 640 F1. I did not bother to remove the G. Berger script on the model. Luckily the decals are sufficiently opaque to hide the original script.
    I would however not recommend this seller. They sent the decal sheet in a flimsy envelop and the result is a fold in the sheet. Most irritating was the fact that the decals weren't cut properly and so they were difficult to detach from the backing paper. But in the end the result is fine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Meanwhile I noticed something is off with this Looksmart model. The car sits to high off the ground and in general the body isn't tall enough. See side comparison with a real car.

Rosey likes this.
  24. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    The Looksmart might not be 100% perfect still...but you're photo looks more wide-angle than the real car photo (so distorting the size/perspective relationships a bit)
    Ride height looks OK considering how bad some models are. If you unscrewed it from the base, it might 'settle' a bit. Screw sleeves are probably taking most of the load. Looks really nice overall.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    ursoenzo and gt4me like this.