10 FAILED General Aviation Airplanes | FerrariChat

10 FAILED General Aviation Airplanes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Very cool aircraft in here, read the comment section regarding the Starship. We had Piper sponsor our FCA event in Savannah in 2012 and they brought in their Piperjet model. But we all know what happened to the economy. How bout that Lear Fan? Wild idea.

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The Lear Fan could have seen production life but the FAA person handling certification made a novel interpretation on a requirement on failure mode of the 2 engine to 1 propeller transmission. Lear fan appealed the interpretation but the FAA circled the wagon to protect the guilty. After the program was killed the FAA reversed the interpretation of the requirement but it wall all too late.

As for the Starship, there are some other details. The Proof of Concept by Burt Rutan was more a homebuilt project than a scaleable to production effort. As the intended successor to the King Air it failed to recognize one of its significant attributes - comfortable cabin cross section. An unmitigated financial disaster for Beech.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not to mention this was the first all-composite airframe and new rules/regulations were being made as the development effort proceeded, with the end result being a grossly overweight/overbuilt structure. Not entirely the FAA's fault, just that Lear ended up being the guinea pig for a years long effort in defining how to certify composite structure.

Not the only PoC by Rutan that failed to consider scaled vs production.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I spent some time crawling around in one of them during a redesign phase....I was shocked at how thick the hull was in some places; over 3", and the material looked solid, not aerated. I just thought; "hmm, bullet-proof", not giving a thought as to weight issues. :confused:

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I guess the jury is still out on the HondaJet...

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    One of the LearFan prototypes sat for years in the concourse at SeaTac airport... I was never really sure why it was there.

I also remember for years there was a Trade-a-Plane ad for the entire program, two prototypes, data package, etc.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraft/business-general-aviation/news/21069924/the-hondajet-is-the-most-delivered-aircraft-in-its-class-for-second-consecutive-year

I bet you have to sell more than this for it to remain viable, but the Japanese are long minded. Good for Greensboro, NC. This article below is worth a read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2018/12/19/hondas-jet-business-clears-the-trees-but-flight-path-is-in-question/#1375aee06135

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If there is one thing I know its to NEVER bet against Honda. In the end this will be one of the most successful light jets out there if only as a result of the maniacal dedication the Japanese have for product support. As a former owner of a Mitsubishi MU2, with product support beyond belief THIRTY YEARS after they ended production (including bi annual paid for support meetings called PROP) I have seen this first hand.

My hangar mate owns a Honda Jet and after the brake issues were fixed (and they were a REAL issue) he is happy as a clam with his.

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I believe that the HondaJet plan is that this is just step one to creating a family. Somewhere of recent there was a report of Honda already working on the stretch iteration. Sounds like they could be following the old Cessna Citation playbook.