10 year Old Battery? | FerrariChat

10 year Old Battery?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by swift53, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Own a 2007, Toyota Tundra with a 10 Year Old Battery. Still cranking effortlessly, and it is the 5.7 motor.
    Brand: Panasonic.

Is this for real? I have never seen a battery last this long.

Opinions?

Regards, Alberto

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Since it's April 1st here where I live, I bite. Yes, it's real. The battery should last you another 10 years at least.

3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I’ve reached eight years in a snow plow truck, with a red Optima. I suppose it’s possible, it being properly maintained.

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The Panasonic is 'Maintenance free'...

No technical explanations?

Regards, Alberto

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can relate to that as my Interstate Battery lasted 10 years, could have been 11 years or longer as I replaced it thinking my battery was bad but it turned out it was my alternator not the battery.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Especially in a warm climate 10 years out of a battery is not unheard of. Especially out of an OEM battery that tend to be better than many of the commonly available replacements.

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    That makes sense...yet, have never had an OEM battery last half as long.
    Local batteries last at best 4 years.
    3rd world quality?

Regards, Alberto

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The Sears Die Hard battery in my 308 is now 18 years old and finally giving up the ghost. Sometime you get lucky.

LARRYH likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'm on a 3rd one in 28+ years in one of my vintage cars, but it's a 6V system with nothing drawing current after ignition switch is turned "off". While having already several (5-6?) years on it and at times sitting few months without being disconnected or use of "battery tender", it still seem to work as good as the day I replaced it. Never had a 12V lasting quite 10 years.

As for "warranties", a friend bought one with "life time" from Montgomery-Ward(?) over 40 years ago for a car he still has, kept the paperwork and even after multiple product line ownership changes over the decades, he still gets it honored by whoever currently holds it.

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Batteries tend to last a very long time if they are maintained with a CTEK...

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    My 2009 Audi is on its orig battery.
    My previous Dodge Durango battery lasted about 9 years as well.
    The more miles I put on my cars, the fewer battery issues I’ve experienced...even in our challenging climate up here.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The original factory batteries in my 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (yes it has two) lasted 12 years before one went bad. I decided it was probably a good idea to replace both of them at the same time even though the other was still ok.

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Battery life is highly dependent on location.

The battery in my Alfa tends to last a long time -- but it's in the trunk, away from heat, and no load when it's off (not even a clock).
    I got 14 years out of the last one -- by recharging it with a half-wave battery conditioner every spring.

But the batteries in the Celica GT-Four needed frequent replacement -- sitting ten inches from the glowing turbo.
    A number of owners relocated the batteries to the rear -- but they had to used sealed batteries in the hatchback (ST-165).
    (Getting the battery out of the way also allowed them to take the sharp bends out of the air intake.)

I think Interstate had a factory problem, a while back.
    I've been through two of them in as many years (replacement under warranty).

14. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    My cars stay on battery tenders, so battery longevity tends to be the case with all of them.

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My last battery blew up while on a tender. C**K brand. Stock issue on many new high line cars...

From now on Deltran.

Very reliable, if they go bad, they charge a flat rate for a new one. Very reasonable.

Great to hear all the opinions, varied, yet most enlightening.

Regards, Alberto

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Alberto,
    I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra as well. It is a USA market one, and I believe manufactured here, and I don't recall the battery make, but I do not believe it was a Panasonic. BUT, it did last over 10 years...about 10.5 years. I just replaced it this past fall. I do all the oil changes on it, and every oil change I would have to top up the water in it...I believe the charging system is slightly overcharging the battery causing this. Anyway, during the last couple years, I included a battery load test at each oil change, and the battery failed last fall, so I replaced it with a new battery from Costco. Interestingly enough, the new battery does not lose electrolyte quite as quickly as the old battery, but I continue to check it with each oil change.

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting....I noted a 599 GTO that had a battery burst while (presumably) using the factory tender, those are still Ctek no?

18. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray

Yep, I had an Interstate in my Corvette that was around 17 years old when I got rid of it last year. Ended up being a parasitic drain that I figured out and fixed last year that did it in finally. The new battery will last 5-7 years if I'm lucky unfortunately....nothing is made like it used to be.

miketuason likes this.
  19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes it was a CTEK, tried to call them, they have a terrible PR section, i.e. no reply.

Regards, Alberto

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I TEMPT FATE as I write this. This battery was installed in June 2001. That makes it 17 years old. It will probably die the moment I press send. It’s an Optima Yellow Top beneath that plastic tartop cover (they don’t seem to make them like they used nowadays). The car is an MG TC. Image Unavailable, Please Login

davidoloan likes this.
  21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Now you've done it...RIP MG TC battery!

22. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I had an OEM battery located under the boot / trunk, last exactly 10 years (very impressive), and then it failed overnight, this March. I would replace it unless you want to find out how long it will last.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Japanese-made Panasonic batteries are the best in the trade from what I heard, but they are not sold in the US to consumers from what I could find. My Nissan 350Z came with a Panasonic battery new that lasted a very long time and I could not replace it with an OEM from the dealer. They only used Johnson Controls brand.

24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I had a battery in an old U Haul truck I own. The thing was well over 20 years old....no idea what brand. That truck would start right away in 20 below weather. Someone swiped the battery about five years ago. I bet that thing is still cranking.