$100,000 Ferrari | FerrariChat

$100,000 Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ed Niles, Sep 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    If you were going to spend around $100,000 for a vintage Ferrari, what would it be, and why? 246GT? 365GTC4? 365GT 2+2?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    all good choices, but I would go with 250 GTE or maybe 330 2+2 right now. maybe a black GTC4 would sway me. I'm not a Queen Mother fan because of its size and although a Dino is on my list, a real vintage Ferrari 12 is at the top.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great question, Ed.

There are several 365 2+2's around that range in the Ferrari Market Letter, but no 330's at all. And I think that almost everything else is higher than that...

4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Definitely the C4. A very underated car and a great driver.

Bob Z.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If I had nothing else to spend the 100k on I would buy a C4. I like the 250 GTE as well but would get more use out of the C4.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ed,

What would be your plan for it? I'll assume you are looking for a fun driver.

The 250 GTE is detuned from the SWB and heavier, so you'd loose some of the performance you were used to in some of your previous cars. The 365 GT and newer has a different, more modern, feel.

I'd choose the live axle 330s, 330 America or 330 GT (2+2). I suspect they are pretty close in feel to the Superamerica but fit your proposed budget (well, maybe the America is a stretch).

Alternately, I'd get a ratty 250 PF Coupe (and be somewhat over budget) or a mint 365 GT/4 2+2 (and have a big maintenance fund left over).

Regards,

Art S.

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'd go with a 365 GTC/4, since it is beastly-powered, good-looking, and I've had a 330 2+2.

Art, I don't think any of the cars you mention, with the exception of the 365 GT4 2+2 and 330 2+2, are available in driver condition for $100K, even at current discount prices.

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Boxer for the lines, torque and the 12, or Dino GT for the lines, sounds and tossability. Take the Mark III if I need a back seat.

9. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    I would have to go with a C4, mostly for the beastly grunt of the engine. That said, I am sure I could live with any of the choices.

10. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Definitely a C4 and there are many fine examples available now.

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I would also prefer the Boxer, as it's delivers a ride a few cars can duplicate. But can it be considered a vintage Ferrari? It seems that the BB is borderline in the vintage line up at this time. I would go with the 250 GTE. Relatively rare, elegant design especially from the rear and V12 power when you need to out-run an Honda or a Toyota.

Geno

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If you take a boxer, it has to be a 365BB for me and you won't be able to buy one you can drive reliably for $100k. Also - it is not vintage, just on the wrong side of the line.

For me, since I have a 330GTC, it would have to be the Dino. If I didn't have a V12 already, it would still be the Dino as I'm not that taken by the handling of the 2+2s. The GTC/4 I like in concept but the lines still have not conquered me.

Onno

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I concur.

I don't consider a boxer a vintage Ferrari. Undoubtedly they are beautiful, but the hand of Fiat is already noticeable, IMO.

Having owned a 2+2 and driven a few of them, I consider them great looking and the engines are of course highly enjoyable, but they are very heavy and the handling is always compromised.

This leaves us with the Dino and the GTC/4. If you have to have a 12 cylinder "real" Ferrari, then the choice is made, and the GTC/4 is a great choice.

But I would go for the Dino. As some have said, the GTC/4 is considered by many (myself included) "aesthetically challenged".

After all, the Italian press called it (and still calls it) "Il pagliaccio con la gobba" which translates as "The clown (because of the lips) with a hunchback". This is of course a matter of personal taste, but I believe the Dino has a higher potential apreciation, and it is of course recognized as one of the most beautiful cars of all time.

I have owned five Ferraris, none of them has given me more satisfaction or attracted more admiring looks than the Dino. Onno, I would sell my 330 GTC before my Dino!

-K1- likes this.
  14. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Somewhat over budget on a PF Coupe? Don't you think that a PF Coupe would be WAY over budget?

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I'd have to go with the C/4 as well. Great looks, great performance.
    What are the chances of finding a real good 250GTE at that money? (No idea, haven't looked)

16. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Duly noted! I need to drive one, one of these days.

Onno

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It would have to be a 365GT 2+2 "Queen Mary". A large elegant car with plenty of room and a serviceable twin cam v12. Has power steering and A/C, lots of useable interior room and a decent boot for touring and independent rear suspension.

It is more in keeping with the vintage Ferrari theme than a 365 GTC/4 - I find the C4 styling is neither vintage Ferrari or 70's Ferrari - kind of a one off that never really caught on. Also, the C4 engine compartment has pretty much the worst access of any period Ferrari.

The 246 is missing 6 cylinders, and in any case, you wanted a vintage Ferrari, not a Dino :). Seriously, the 246 is not a vintage Ferrari, it's the first of the mid engine cars, so it's exempt from the list.

The 250/330 cars are a generation behind the 365 series cars, leaf springs and solid rear axle is pure 1950's nostalgia, the best of them would be a 330 America, but i'd still rather the 365.

M

19. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    prefer a series one XJ6

20. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    IMHO, Dino for driving pleasures, all around balances, and visual beauty. Other V12s for power, luxury, and grandeur. Whatever pleases oneself. w/ smiles Jimmy

21. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    There is another choice: the 2.4 Fiat Dino Spider, made in the Ferrari factory side by side with the 246s, far rarer (200+ survivors vs. nearly 2000 246/206 coupes and targas), as stunningly beautiful as their 246 sisters, a real spider vs. a targa, all that wonderful Dino noise up front, same engine, horsepower, slight more weight, so a tiny bit slower. A real joy to drive that will turn at least as many heads as a 246, M

-K1- likes this.
  22. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Probably a C4. I considered one about eleven years ago, and prices are at a decent level right now. For the money, it's the closest you can get to a Daytona. The appearance is somewhat controversial, but in the right color it can be a striking automobile. Fred

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Julio,

Today, I have no idea what any of these cars will sell for. One may find the right situation and buy a lot of car for $100K.

Michael,

Good choice!

Regards,

Art S.

24. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the non-vintage Boxer, so for me it would have to be a 246 Dino.
    Ferrari’s with back seats just don’t stoke my fire, and while the C4 makes a great racket accelerating, I have trouble coming to terms with the body style.
    So the non-Ferrari :D Dino it would have to be.
    Although I doubt you’ll find a decent one for 100K.
    John

25. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Unless the Pope owned a 250 GTE 2+2 or any of the 365s I doubt you would be able to get your money back and if it every needed serious engine or other work the cost for repairs could never be seen again. As for the 246 any one selling for $100K is going to probably need at least $30-40K in restoration. After that and waiting a few years for the economy to pick up you probably would make some money on it at resail but it would never be an everyday or even weekend driver. Now what I would do [and almost did] was to find a good carborator 308. If possible a glass bodied and or dry sump car. I believe there was one recently on the market. It will probably cost around $45-50K but the owner should know what he has and have maintained it well. Have a GOOD running gear check done and if all looks good about the car buy it for the asking price. Don't let it get away. You may want to change out a few of the frequent problem areas such as the fuse box, rear tires etc. But you will have a nice summer driver with a unique pedigree that will maintain and probebly increase in value. You also will have money to spare to further enjoy the car. Above all keep it as original as possible. just one man's opinion tongascrew