100% mineral spirits vs Simple Green Aviation | FerrariChat

100% mineral spirits vs Simple Green Aviation

Discussion in '348/355' started by vdettore, Nov 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Which should I use mineral spirits or Simple Green Aviation? I’m cleaning half shaft, brake parts and aluminum brake hub. Plus who knows what around the corner.

I just bought a 20 gal parts cleaner from Harbor freight and picked up 4 gallons of 100% mineral spirts at a paint store. Then I get home and find that the pump in my parts cleaner says to only use water based cleaners

Now I’m trying to decide whether to just use the mineral spirits till it kills the pump and buy one suited for petroleum based solvents or get Simple Green Aviation.

I’ve read many threads and it’s hard to tell what would be better.

Any thoughts or sharing your experience is appreciated

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sounds like you finally got the hub out. ;)

3. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As for the question, I'd use what the manufacture recommends. If they say use water base, then use water base. If you haven't opened up the mineral spirit bottles, why not just return them?

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Make sure to use a correct solution in the washer for the parts your cleaning. With aluminim parts make sure to deactivate them after cleaning with a proper pH solution.
    I have left alum in a parts washer by mistake too long and poof lol

Pumps are cheap and seem to hold up well to most chemicals

5. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I would assume the pump uses o-rings/elastomers that are incompatible with petroleum based fluids. If this is the case, your pump will probably start leaking or the seal will swell, potentially adding a drag to the rotating assembly and burning out the motor.

But, if a replacement pump is cheap or you can find one that is suitable, just use what you have and see how long it'll last.

6. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Well almost. I pulled the opposite side first to replace the torn cv boot. Then I’ll go to the other side and do the same and then remove the hub.

7. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Yeah I know, but wondering if the Simple Green Aviation will be ok.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I can't help it, I never used Simple green aviation cleaner on any of the aircraft I worked on because it wasn't allowed. Not that anything is wrong with it just kind of trivia for ya.

but Just rinse it off real good and the simple green is fine.

vdettore likes this.
  9. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I’ve decided to stay the course. Go with the mineral spirts. There are videos on YouTube on modifying your pump which I’ll do if this one goes out. A replacement pump is only $30 or so.

I’ll circle back down the road on how it’s worked.

Thanks all.

10. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When you say half shaft, you mean CV joints?

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not think you want to use mineral spirits in your washer.

1- it is flammable. Can you degrade the pump and start a fire?

2- it is toxic to you and gets more volatilized and aerosolized for your lungs when you scrub stuff with it.

12. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Especially in a garage.

13. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    There's a guy on YouTube who bought one of the Harbor Freight parts washers and has been running mineral spirits through it for the past several years. That's not to say that the pump might not eventually fail, but he's had success. He also modifies the setup to accommodate an automotive style filter, plus a few other mods including a seal around the lip to keep the volatiles down. If can find the vid again, I'll post the link.

That said, my lower tech solution has been to use a plastic storage bin with a couple gallons of a water-based degreaser that I got at Home Depot with some scouring pads and a parts cleaning brush. I forget what it's called but is in the cleaning supply aisle, is a light purple color and comes in a concentrate. In higher concentrates, e.g. 75%/25% water/concentrate, I've found it to be very aggressive at removing grease and built up gunk (it'll also soften up and remove weaker paint). But wear gloves as it'll absolutely dry out your hands if you don't. I'm planning on getting a HF parts washer as well, and this is the stuff that I'd likely use. I also plan to modify the washer to install a filter as well as a small heater that'll bring the temp of the solvent up to 120 F or so.

14. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I think you only need to worry about that in CA ;)

vdettore, fatbillybob and phrogs like this.
  15. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks, I have a well ventilated garage. I’ve watch a few videos and mineral spirts didn’t seem to be a problem. I understand the fumes thing and flammable part.

As far as the water based I read many posts and threads where the message is Do Not use water based cleaners on aluminum. The solvents I. Water based cleaners destroy aluminum. Also causes parts to rust and one person had the bottom of his parts. washer rust through. One thing is for certain. No one agrees on the type of parts cleaner , water based or petroleum based( Or whatever it is) parts cleaner.

100% Mineral spirts seems to be the safest for parts. From my reading its not as flammable as other solvents.

Hopefully I won’t be posting that I burned my house down.

ernie likes this.
  16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The CV joint/s are attached the the end/s of the half shaft.

17. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    :rolleyes: Thanks. I was just clarifying the CV joints are the part that specifically need to be rebuilt.

vdettore likes this.
  18. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Low tech solution: tooth brush, roll of paper towels and multiple spray cans of Brake-Kleen with the red label. That stuff will clean anything off of anything.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vdettore likes this.