100 push ups a day | Page 4 | FerrariChat

100 push ups a day

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SoCal to az, Apr 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    OK
    I'm a week into it. Every day.
    best I can do is:
    (about 1-2 minute breaks in between)

pause........ for awhile.....
    shoulder had been hurting.... may skip today.

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Gotta say that's excellent.

3. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    skipped one day.... shoulder improved
    back to
    20/20/20/20/20
    interspersed among other exercises.
    its amazing how some days... you "got it".... all the energy.
    other days.... ugh....

4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I suppose I should get in on this, having broke some stuff recently in a longboard bail and trying to not fall too far out of shape while healing. I use a beckford bar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Big day
    Knocked them out in 4 sessions (as opposed to 5)
    I’m about 15 days in
    Took one day off every 7 (approximately)
    Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. eswilly

eswilly Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    I stopped doing this for some dumb reason and now I’m pissed. I was seeing a difference and I got lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manda racing likes this.
  7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I tried this for a week while I was simultaneously loading up to go to the racetrack— my wife is amazed at how bulked up I got from Pushing car and lifting tires. :)

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So is the consensus every day or every other? I just started this and completed my first 100 yesterday (OK, started with 60 knee pushups until I could determine how hard it is.) Standard workout advice is workout / recovery, but is that old adive passe? I know from being a competitive cyclist that I made the most gains with consecutive days of hard effort.
    @plastique999 ask your doctor about Clomid (clomiphen citrate.) It doesn't work for everyone, but it brought my testosterone from 270 to almost 1000 and it's your own body that's producing the testosterone. There's not the same anabolic effect, but it will set the clock back significantly.

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I am going to jump into this. I'll say, right now.

Just did 50 in a set of 25, 15, 10

I'll wait a bit, then do another 25, 15, 10

This should be fun

spike308 likes this.
  10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I can now do
    but it is HARD... my shoulders kind of hurt, especially at night. taking a day off maybe every 5 days now.

11. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    FWIW, and it is of NO importance to me, but most of the recent posts here are not following '100pushups.com' recommendations.
    I'm on day 27 and this week for me is a daily total of 195 pushups. 3 sets of 13 with 5 minutes in between, 5 times a day. Final goal is 100 pushups in 1 go. Saturday is 'show what you can do' 1 time only; otherwise a rest day.

C50 likes this.
  12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Funny - since having to transition to home workouts, I've made pushups one of the essential elements. I've started to coordinate with a friend throughout the week to play "Deck of Pain" via FaceTime.

Simple rules:
    • card value = # pushups
    • facecards = 10
    • Ace =11
    Shuffle deck, get nervous, and started pulling cards (alternating cards, obviously). You're done when you get through the deck. We finished this AM in 12.5 minutes - I ended up with 215 pushups. I find it to be the most effective way to structure pushups. 2-3X/week.

Lots of core and bodyweight, it's a whole new world. I finish each workout with 30 min on a road bike I bought at the beginning of quarantine. I set it up on a smart trainer and run Zwift as a simulator. So far, not missing the gym, where I spent about an hour and half daily!

-Joe

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Pic or it never happened lol

14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    ahh man- fell off the wagon of push ups and have been doing more Peloton. Will start the push-up thing again.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    have you tried Zwift? I like how it feels more like a competition / race each time you get on and go against other bikers.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I did. This was back when I had my tri bike and was training for the Ironman. Those days are over and the bike is sold. Peloton is good enough.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I read Jamie Foxx's workout routine for the Mike Tyson movie he's doing and it reminded me of this thread. He's doing 100 pushups, too, but every other day. Also doing dips (60), pull ups (60), etc. He takes a day off in between. I've tried pull ups everyday...can't do it well so I don't it every other day.

18. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for the link
    I’m now day 15.
    I like the simplicity of the program. No registration or ads is a bonus.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I need to get back on the wagon on this. Ill try the 100pushups.com protocol. mix it up.

C50 likes this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Just seeing this thread. Cool thread. Almost three years ago, I decided to feather in push-ups into my normal weightlifting routine. On off days, I would do 100 push-ups. A couple weeks in, I started doing them everyday. I loved it, and I was starting to add signifies mass and power. Around 6 weeks in, I was doing 200+ every day and it was easy. I went from my normal 255lbs 38” waist (6’6”) to 275lbs and my pants were slipping off. Soon after, I developed numbness in left arm. Turns out, my chest and shoulders developed additional thick muscle so quickly that it caused a pinched nerve in my shoulder. I ended up having to stop lifting altogether, and seek out PT and a chiropractor. It scared the crap out of me. I had been religious on lifting for decades and had largely avoided serious injury. That kept me on the shelf for a long time, and it took about two years to make my way back. Fast forward to today, I am nearly as strong as I have ever been in my life. I usually walk around at about 255lbs, but I have gained 20lbs since pandemic from going much heavier on my normal powerlifting style routine. I have not done a push up since.

Mine is a cautionary tale. YMMV. My physical therapist more or less saved my lifting life (and my life along with it, as life without lifting would not be worth living). He had me lay lengthwise on a long foam roller and then I stretched my arms out as wide as possible. Eventually I worked to point of getting my arms to touch the ground easily. I stretched out all that compacted chest/should muscle and created more room for the nerves, etc. I still do it nearly every day for 5-10 minutes. I am not a doctor, but having been through what I went through, make sure you commit to stretching and mobility work if you commence a high volume push-up routine.

italiafan and SoCal to az like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ok I’m back at it. I’m following the 100pushuos.com protocol. So far it has me doing about 120 a day which has been easy. Will try to keep at it and not Covid, life etc get in the way.

Oz-ATL and C50 like this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    day 15 for me and it's calling for 190 per day over 5 sessions....i'll admit it, i'm scared

Oz-ATL and SoCal to az like this.
  23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Aw....you can do it! What's to be scared about? Get 'er done.

SoCal to az likes this.
  24. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm 50 and spend 4 to 5 hours weight training a week at my home gym.

I'm just wondering whether to include 100 push ups every other day into my routine. Can't remember the last time I did a push up! but 100 seems a bit insane. How long to you allow yourself to do that amount?

Thecadster likes this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It builds up. Dont think that you will do it the first time you try. Start slow. the 100 pushup website is good. You will build up to it. Good luck.