1000 Pound Club | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1000 Pound Club

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    The downside of being so tall. You have a major disadvantage in the bench press and squat. With long arms you do have a slight advantage with the (sumo) deadlift.

2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I would be carefull chasing strength numbers past 50 as the risk reward ratio quickly goes out of balance.
    Sure, you can build strength at any age and everyone should be applauded for it.
    But going for max 1 rep max style training becomes injury sensitive.
    Not my cup of tea (anymore)…..

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm 52, can squat 405 any day, bench sucks but perhaps 255 for a single and dead lift for 405 without hurting myself. I have never had a good bench, I have long arms but I've squatted as much as 545 for reps back in my 30s. I'm weak these days. I felt it slide in my mid 40s, I progressively went down. Every now and then I'll hit 315 on the squat for 8 to 10 just because I can but usually stay at a max of 225 and the same for bench.

My ultimate goal is to have abs at my age and not be the fat dad, I don't care too much about max anymore. My golf swing is more important.

4. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    A 405 squat puts you ahead of 99,9% of the general public, regardless of age!
    Same applies to 255 on the bench; equally impressive.
    You’ll probably enjoy staying active and fit more than hurting yourself!?!

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    All my PB's were in my late forties and early fifties. Then when I hit sixty - since all my joints are still perfect - I intentionally backed off and stopped pumping iron. Now I only use my old Bowflex PowerPros - I have one in Texas and one in Colorado - because the rods have nearly no inertia or momentum. WAY easier on the joints AND you don't need a spotter for ANYTHING. The only exception are my grippers. I have the Bowflex dumbbells, but I don't use them anymore.

You old farts who are still doing strength training should consider an old Bowflex Power Pro. I've had my original one since '97. The biggest problem now is that it's almost impossible to find the squat attachment, since enough people have discovered that Bowflex squats are the safest squats: When you're all the way down, the resistance is at the minimum - easier on the knees - and it increases as you stand up.

I have aftermarket power rod racks, and at 64 I can still leg press all 630 rods worth!

6. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016