115mhp Punto??? | FerrariChat

115mhp Punto???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Brianjonesphoto, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml;?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=6093285

LONDON (Reuters) - A man accused by police of driving at 115 mph (185 kph) in a Fiat Punto thought the accusation so ridiculous he enlisted an expert driver to help prove his new car was incapable of going that fast.

Law student Steve Lucas, who risked a large fine and losing his driving licence if convicted of being so far over the 70 mph limit, said his small Fiat hatchback was just too slow to have reached such a speed, newspapers reported on Saturday.

"I was happy to put my hands up and admit that I was driving at 85 mph but the idea that my little Fiat Punto 1.2 litre could manage 115 mph was laughable," he was quoted as saying.

Lucas spent 18 months fighting the charges, hiring a traffic consultant to test drive his Punto on a private racecourse. He found the best the car could manage, going downhill with a following wind, was 104 mph.

Police were finally forced to drop the speeding charges, although Lucas was fined 40 pounds for driving without due care and attention.

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Oh that is the best thing I have read in a long time.

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Now if he'd put the Punto motor into a Cinq...................

4. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    That has been done, punto turbo engine in a cinquecento.

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Steve
    Yes I know its been done I work with a loon who's done it!, 6'5" and over 230lbs in an insane Turbo Cinq!!!!!!!, even spent some time a couple of months ago looking for one myself as a fun comuter car, had a standard sporting a few years ago, without a doubt the most fun you could have in a car without spending a fortune and losing your liscence

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Now combine those two, what a car wow.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001