128k mile 308 for sale on ferrari ads and no comments? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

128k mile 308 for sale on ferrari ads and no comments?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bpu699, Jun 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajayM

ajayM Rookie

Mar 20, 2006
    S. Flori-duh
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    99.99% of 3 series Ferrari's are not going to be investments, even the .01% that is left over would be a poor investment. Values are likely to go up in the future, but probably not at much more than the rate of inflation (and after the cost to keep the car you're going to be in the red).

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As others have posted though this is a desirable specification, so again, IMO, it's 'worth" the asking price..

The most rapdily escalting 308GTBs now are the fibreglass and early steel NON CATALYST cars, all the rest are floating thru various depreciation curves, each to it's own model designation....

Definately not keeping up with inflation this year! LOL!

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    A counterpoint...in my mind this is a $15,000 car...tops.

1) The market sux
    2) I see pretty nice 328's asking in the 30's (see ferrariads)
    3) A pristine 308 is $40,000 (realistic selling price), you can ask what you wan't
    4) The white elephant in the room: this car has been around the earth 5 times... A car with 130,000 miles AND a complete engine rebuild/trans/gearbox/shock rebuild/repaint/etc is different than a car without these.

Perhaps its all psychological. But take two cars that both cosmetically/functionally are identical. 1 with 30,000 miles, the other with 130,000. 99.9999% of buyers will pay more for the lower mileage car, even if the other is somewhat nicer. One can argue that odometers are inaccurate...In the real world, people seem to disregard that possibility, and always pay for an odometer reading.

I can see someone arguing that a well maintained 60k mile car is a better buy than a misrepresented 15k mile car. But at 130,000 miles, you are so far past the life expectancy of a couple thousand internal parts, that youre one angel's sneeze away from a $20,000 bill.....

4. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    ...that is a nice car. I'm sorry I don't have the scratch to get it for a playmate for the 328. It's always better when they can keep each other company....

5. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I am doing a complete restoration on a 308 GTS and the money that flows into this thing is unbelievable. Parts are very expensive, new paint new interior complete transmission rebuild/ engine rebuild, new suspension, and that is just the obvious. There is tons of stuff that you wouldn't even notice when you look at the car. I put new wiring in the car, new AC hoses, replating, powdercoating etc etc... I have stopped counting what I spend on that thing.
    My feeling when looking at cars now is that no matter how many miles the car has on it, eventually that engine needs to come out and needs all new seals and gaskets, bearings etc. at that point it doesn't really matter how many miles that engine has on it. All of the rubber parts also need to be replaced on most of tghe cars I see, so its more of a age thing rather than mileage in my opinion.

6. Tony Del Priore

Tony Del Priore Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Thanks for all the great replies and advise! Maybe I did not make myself clear but the gentleman claims he has all of the records since the car was new! I do not know how much of a difference in the price that will make? How much do you really believe is a fair price considering the maintenance records. Offering $15,000 or $20,000 sounds tempting but may be unrealistic! Has anyone seen this car in person or know of anyone who has. Thanks again, Tony.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The complete history of any of these cars is actually a huge plus to evaluate the sale, so his honesty in presenting them speaks for his honor...

And there's no "Majic" date that it all goes bad, none of my cars has needed any total rewiring or anything as redical as that.....it depends if you enjoy the originalty and patina or if you are going to embark down some road in search of perfection....

See how there's more than one school of thought..

As they say you can restore over and over, but a car is only original once!

There is such a huge bias among Ferrari buyers towards low mileage the well used cars are unfairly penalized, as to value IMO.....

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    None of these cars are trading at $20K man........unless broken or very needy...

Did you see the nice one in Denver with Boxer Trim?

It's a little rough in spots but an honest NON CAT early steel carbed car....get that one I have three.....only a dry sump or a '1976 'glass car will be faster..

$27K and you have a great starting point for gentle refurbishing.....

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The subject of this thread should get his $30K, it looks to be in fine condition appearancewise...your date won't care about the mileage!!! :D

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've bought several Toyotas with over 100k on 'em same with Nissan. Last Toyota i bought with 89k and drove it till 270 k and it drove great when i was done with it. Current Nissan bought with 95k four years ago and has 237k on it now. Very Little on repairs.

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I'd bet that most of us have at least this many miles on our 308's and don't know it.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ....spread across three defective speedos! LOL!

Maybe but I have records on most of mine...honest mileage for the most part....

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    One thing to consider - mileage on a Ferrari is a lot "higher" than it is for many other cars. They are rather low geared, meaning they turn substantial RPM at normal road speeds. Therefore, the wear on an F engine at say, 50,000 miles, is much greater than it is on an engine turning lower RPM for the same speed. There is no magic involved - higher RPM means more wear.

14. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Hey guys. This is actually my car. It is fun to read all of the replies. I sold my 78 308 GTS with 114K on the clock for $30K. So yes I feel these cars, with records and properly maintained will bring the $$$.

I actually just received a deposit on the 308 GTB QV with the final selling price at $29.5K. The reason I think it brought this $$$ is as follows: it has all of the records since new, in excellent condition, fully serviced (plus many know how I tend to over maintain my cars), and it is a GTB QV. I think red/tan helps some too. If you look around for one they are quite rare. They didn't make a lot of GTB QVs. I honestly am having second thoughts about selling it right now. It is such a great running and tight car.

I tend to agree with what has been said here most 308s have over 100K miles on them but the odometers were disconnected for many, many miles. I tend to look at the condition and the way the car drives. This dictates whether or not I would buy it. A 40K 308 that drives bad probably has over 100K on it and wasn't maintained properly. I feel these cars when maintained properly can run for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GTB get up to 160-170K on the original engine. It runs that good.

I am starting to think I should have sold the 328 instead.

15. Tony Del Priore

Tony Del Priore Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    The gentleman selling the car claims it is a US Spec car with modifications as shown in his ad. All records since new. It has been repainted at some point but did not really specify when. With a Ferrari with that many miles am I correct in assuming that in order for the car to get to that type of mileage your are looking at replacing a large portion of the vehicle whether it is engine, suspension, mechanicals, etc.? Based on this assumption what is the most some would pay for this 308? How much is the seller really looking to get out of the car dollar wise? Thanks again, Tony.

16. ajayM

ajayM Rookie

Mar 20, 2006
    S. Flori-duh
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    True, it's going to be a tough couple of years if one is a seller (great if you are buying). But over the long haul...

Well this is true obviously, but a fully worked over 3-series is pretty much going to be worth more than a high-mileage all original car (although one isn't going to get their money back from doing a full restore on one of these). This isn't a rare model, there are no significant race histories, etc leaving the car virginal isn't quite the same as that early 50's barn car raced by Fangio ;)

Which means pretty much nothing in comparison to a hand built Italian cars. Keep in mind that 308 was built by a guy who probably drank an extra glass of wine at lunch ;)

It's not just miles, it's time as well. Suspension parts start to go bad after a certain period of time (think bushings), rubber lines start to get brittle, etc. You're looking at cars around 30 years old, stuff wears out. Unless you buy a fully resotred car things are going to nickle and dime you, that's part of the "ownership experience" :D

You are not going to make money owning a 3x8.

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i agree, and i am looking for a QV, a gtb is a nice plus. but as winter approaches, i think the economy and car market will soften a bit more. i do think the car in this discussion is well represented and a nice example, but i dont think any similar cars can bring $30k in this market, with that history. i dont want to buy a car and have to do a valve job.

18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    FERRARI 308 308 GTBI € 29.500 06-1982 250.333 km

just for fun: for sale in The Netherlands, see mileage and price!

19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I called about it the GTBQV & thought about it, this would at least make a excellent drivers car but & has been cared for by a long time member of FChat. It's just the miles that bother me.

Still on the hunt for a QV or carbed GTB.