$13500.00 308 on Ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$13500.00 308 on Ebay

Discussion in '308/328' started by astjr, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I completely agree with Dennis. Just because a car has been sitting for X years, or for that matter XX years, does NOT by any stretch of the imagination require an engine rebuild or tearing apart of internals. There are correct ways to bring an engine back to life after many years of sitting - there are are easy and relatively cheap ways to get these F cars on the straight and narrow within a budget.

The keys is patience, IMHO. You have to be willing to search, and wait, for the right parts at the right price. They are out there. As fun and exotic as these cars are, they are still just CARS.. nuts and bolts.. lefty loosey, righty-tighty. I would be willing to put money on the fact that that car could be on the road in less than 2 days' work, barring any major unforseen tragedy (broken gear box or engine).

That's a steal for that car.. of course, I bought my 50K running / driving (well for that matter) mondi for $13.5.. so maybe I'm sensitive to the "Ferrari on a budget" being possible. Good on that guy for doin' it.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Appearances aside, he had it running...no doubt it needed a carb rebuild from the evaporation of the fuel.....the reason IMO the interior is so bad is DUE to the GTS roof.....

We used to call Pontiac T-Tops the "$4,000 Optional Roof Leak".....LOL!

Aside from the 1978 CAT rating, this was a car with some potential.....hope the Owner shows up here but truthfully anyone that bought this better already know what they are doing....it'll probably disappear for awhile and come back as a nice $30K example! LOL!

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Dang, the saved search function at eBay has failed; never received notice of this one. I love wrenching 70's and 80's Ferraris and would have bought this GTS. First thing I'd do is strip it down and have the body worked over at a competent shop. I can do most of the rest.

4. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Being in the Car business myself I laugh how people will always critisize till the end! Regardless of price. Can someone remind people that this description clearly states the car is NOT perfect. For under $14k OF COURSE IT WILL NEED WORK! :D

I say it's a great deal and a great project. I for one would make it a track car. I keep hearing people here say "run from it". How cheap do you want them? I say run to it.

Someone got a deal imo. Hopefully another one saved!!!

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    So....anyone here? :)

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    some of you guys floor me, and i really wonder how many here actually have tools in thier hands and grease under thier nails.

i think its a great car for the price, and i also think the seller is bieng more than fair in his description in appealing to a car guy who can work on it for fun.

what i do not understand is the constant crying on here from people who may not actually work on their cars, who say you will loose all of this money on the car.

guess what, cars in general don't go up in value anyway, and as a gear head i would rather have a old carb Ferrari for fun, than one of these computer controlled wonderboxes that everyone seems to love talking up. the new wonderboxes cannot be maintained easily at home, are worth half what you pay for them, and are truthfully too fast to have any safe fun on public roads with anymore.

4 308's under my belt, and they were all different in one way or another, as were the smiles i got from having them

some of us don't give a crap about what its costs, as we would not have bought a 30 year old Ferrari in th first place.

i dare one of you to buy it. i bet you will have fun and maybe even smile a bit.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Michael,

Now that you have done 4 V-8s, it is time to go vintage V-12. Find a dead 330, it is a totally different world!

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I agree with you - half the fun is being able to fix it!

PPS. Did you get this one?

8. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    It doesn't necessarily mean the carbs need to be rebuilt. All it means is that the idle jets are probably clogged, and that's quite common on a carbd anything that's been sitting for years. You could probably just pull out the jets, clean them, reinstall and the car would start right up.
    I say do the fluids, belts, water pump, clean it up and drive it, and go from there.

Jim

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I agree with 'Reaper. Good price for a guy who can work on it. Jim is probably right...clean the jets, check the float heights, it'll start right up. Sync the carbs, it runs. Change the belts and fuel lines to be safe, you have a driving Fcar for under $15K. If you want to get to work, have the interior re-upholstered ($2K for a seat kit and that's the worst of it). For the next winter project when the car is sitting anyway, pull the cam covers for a valve clearance/timing check. It'll take a couple weekends and only cost a couple hundred bucks.

I bought a "fixer upper" 308 and put a few years into tinkering it back to health while I was driving it. It was a great experience. I learned a lot about the car, made tons of new friends in the fcar community both here and locally, paid as I went and had fun doing it. If you add up what I have in the car now, I probably would have been better off financially to just start out buying a better car. But on the flip side, I was able to afford my 308 without a loan in "fixer upper" condition and then pay as I went to fix it. That's a definite bonus!

Birdman

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't know if anyone has done this, but I have and it works perfect;

I've installed two new fuel filters, one before the fuel pump and one after.

Before the pump is to protect the fuel pump from the gas coming from the gas tank that may have some sediments.

After the pump is to protect the carbs/jets from the gas coming from the pump, this is just an extra security, works great

and it doesn't reduce the fuel pressure.

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would love a 330. i have a Jalpa deal pending, but thats for another thread.

going to keep the 911 and sell the Esprit.

carb cars are both fun and simple. we will se what srping and summer brings with the economy on the rocks, its good to have cash.