Fuel Filler Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

Fuel Filler Hose Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by Perfusion, Feb 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #1 Perfusion, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I finally decided to get around to changing that pesky fuel filler hose on my GT4 today. I've had the hose (from Superformance UK) sitting near my desk for some time, and I guess I must've just gotten sick of it staring at me! The process to remove the old one was actually quite simple:

- Jack up Left side and place on stands
    - Remove L-Rear tire
    - Remove fender liner
    - Look up, see hose, loosen band clamps, remove hose!

Mine actually didn't look too bad, right? (The old one is on the bottom)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #2 Perfusion, Feb 13, 2007
  3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #3 Perfusion, Feb 13, 2007
    Okay, sorry for the Drama-Post... :D

In all seriousness, I am very glad that I decided to do this now instead of putting it off. I don't know that it would've failed this week or even this year, but now I don't have to worry about it because *I* know when it was last replaced.

Interestingly enough, the new piece from Superformance was internally reinforced with a fibrous material. The hose I pulled out had a solid rubber wall and was much more compliant (i.e., "squishable").

Notice the threads in this cross-sectional shot; new one on left. So now go out and replace your hose if YOU haven't personally done it in recent years, unless you can guarantee yourself it was done during a 30k service by a mechanic. Can you?

This is literally easier than an oil change - quicker and cleaner, too...

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Good thing you were motivated to replace it! That hose was not in good shape (major understatement). So, what about all the other hoses? That's why I decided to pull the engine and do it right. I want every single hose in the whole darn car to be new, including the filler neck.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Thats the filler hose? On my QV it is about 4" in diameter, and about 6" long.

6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #6 Perfusion, Feb 13, 2007
    This one is, too - probably just looks funny in the picture because there's nothing else to compare its size to.

Here's the junction of the old one (in situ) at the fuel tank:

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It's easier on a GT4 because the hose is longer. On a GTB carb the hose is only like 4" long and getting it in is a BEOTCH!!

Birdman

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Birdman, we don't need to hear about your personal life....

:D

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sure mine looks about like yours....I need to pull the tank anyway I dropped a stubby screwdriver behind it five years ago.......

Probably chaffing a hole in the metal!

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    ZING!!!

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Bubba, I don't think you should work on cars bro!

;)

12. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A few stupid questions...

1) Where is the best place to put the car stand(s) when doing this? Are there any places on the frame that aren't best for jack stand placement in general?

2) How do you remove the wheel well liner? Are there just a few bolts inside the wheel well that need to be undone or do you loosen them up from inside the engine compartment?

3) WHere are the best places for me to order a new fuel filler hose from?

I used to live a few miles where the flaming ferrari dude's yellow GTB went up in flames (definitely an old ma and pa gas station along West Lake Sammamish in Bellevue/Redmond WA) and I don't want that to happen to my baby! :)

Paul

13. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    BTW, any pictures of your car on the stands and showing how the wheel well liner was removed? Pictures are always good! :)

Paul

14. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #14 Perfusion, Feb 13, 2007
    Paul - Argh! - Sorry man, I went out to the garage and after snapping only 1 pic, my camera shut down due to dead battery. So...for now, it's on the charger, but I was able to d/l the pic to my computer before it went completely kaput.

To answer your questions, you'll see in the picture where I have placed the stand on my GT4. It's been a while since I've been under a GTB or GTS, so I can't recall if they're different - they shouldn't be *too* different from the GT4. My criteria for chosing this jackstand location was rather simplistic - I basically just looked for a place that would sit nicely in the yellow "saddle" of the jackstand. That particualr location worked, so there it is. I placed another stand under the L-front in a similar style to support the entire left side vs. holding it up with just 1 stand.

As for removing the wheel well liner, it's a cinch. Just like you guessed, there are just a few (4 to 6/7/8, depending on how many of yours have fallen out! I had 4 ;) ) Phillips-head screws w/ washers to remove. After that, it falls right out. You'll see - easy.

I ordered my new hose from Superformance in the UK (http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-308/carb.htm). I'm sure you could try removing the old one and taking it to your local NAPA-style parts place and say, "I need one of these." I just happen to be one of those guys that feels it's worth possibly paying more ahead of time to get the part, thereby avoiding any possibity of the NAPA guy saying, ""Hmmm....nope, don't have one of those!"

"Great...now what am I gonna do!? I guess order one from Superformance and wait 2 weeks to get this thing back on the road..."

-- OKay, maybe a bit of an extreme example for a simple hose, but you get the idea.

Best of luck to ya'!

15. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Good work...I gotta get to mine. Does anyone know if this size of hose is such that it would be available from a local hose supply house?

16. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the pic and the extra advice! :)

Paul

17. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Paul...if you look at the pic above and look for other similar 'beefy' spots to place jackstands, you will be OK. The main task is to find a spot where the jackstand can "cradle" the chassis as it looks above. There are many many threads on here on this subject, just do a search. As far as the fender liner, there are a few screws / bolts and then you have to work the fender liner out. Getting it back in afterwards can sometimes be a BEOTCH!

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The fender liner is fiberglass and flexible enough that you can squeeze it a little to get it in and out of the wheel well. I don't find them to be hard at all to work with.

Birdman

19. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #19 308ROB, Feb 14, 2007
  20. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why should one prefer the outriggers at the front to the main chassis tubes?

21. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Nice write up Aaron.

And nice pictures too.

Let me ask, is that black filter the oil filter next to the housing?

And did i say i gret when folks post pictures of there projects.:)

I just love show and tell.:p

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No reason except they are easier to reach. My lift reaches those spots and won't reach all the way to the main chassis tubes up front. Also, because of the aluminum skin under the car for aerodynamics, you can't actually see the main tubes easily to place a jack under them. The outriggers are easier to find!

Rob, sweet diagram!

Birdman

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That'a carb car fuel filter housing which has a fuel filter cartridge inside.

Birdman

24. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Grazie!

25. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Bingo! Bird beat me to it. The oil filter is on the top of the engine, not the bottom.