15:10 | FerrariChat

15:10

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Feb 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perfect, easy to remember new start time.

I'm far more comfortable with 16:27 myself but hey ho.

Ferrari 308 GTB and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  2. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Really? Once again, don't take this as a personal attack, but I suggest that F1 has you so wound up that you should probably find something else to do with your weekends.

70 minutes is huge from a US viewership perspective...especially for those of us on the west coast. I'm sorry that you will have to rearrange your afternoon, but I won't have to wake up at 4:00am to see the start.

3. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I don't think 15h10 makes any difference to me.
    I always enjoyed the asian and the american races. These leave the day open to do stuff.
    A 14h00 race is quite limiting. 15h10 won't change that, really.

reelees likes this.
  4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'm in USA central time zone and I had no problem getting up at 6:30am for the pre-game and 7:00 for the race start. At my age, I get up with the chickens anyway.

5. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    There are two more time zones with a number of F1 fans. Your 6:30/7:00am is my 4:30/5:00am. Like I said, 70 minutes is significant. I have not made any special effort to wake up early to see a 5am start (sometimes I would be awake, sometimes not)...but, I would make the effort to wake up at 6:00 for a 6:10 start. It definitely makes live viewership more accessible in a market that F1 has wanted to expand for quite some time.

reelees and tifoso2728 like this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    10 minutes past anything is just stupid.

Do it 3pm. Or 4pm.

7. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Not really. From a psychological point of view, I can have the alarm ring at 6:00am...start the coffee by 6:05... fiddle with the TV until I get the right stream... and SEE the start...

It becomes less likely if I have to set the alarm for 5:50. Ten minutes is everything when you're well outside of the originally intended audience.

8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Bah! A later summertime start means for me I have to 'waste' most of the morning watching a race with no grid girls, little competition, and a lousy formula. I'm CST......this isn't helping. Maybe I'll DVR and watch during the week following. I'm a 50+ year fan.....the notion that newcomers want to spend most of Sunday morning watching a procession seems a reach.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #9 Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    The 10 minutes is to allow for the totally over the top USA style'entertainment' B/S which will be rammed down our throats just prior to the starts.

This is obviously why they have banned the Grid Girls, the upcoming rubbish 'entertainment' would of course be no competition to those loverly Grid Girls.

Yet another reason to bring the trusty old Android Box into play...dear Liberty THAT is the new 21 st Century reality.And if i cannot get something live even in Spanish or whatever ..no worries watch the next day!:p:D

I've only been an F1 fan for around 40 years..

lorenzobandini and NEP like this.
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Really? Pretty sure they did this to allow viewers who were watching something else until 15 to shuffle around channels and find f1 without having missed the start and not because you feel more psychologically fulfilled to set your alarm at a rounder number

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Another stupid decision...screws up the whole afternoon...1 oclock was perfect to me....every decision they make is crap...perhaps they can sell the show to crocodiles next!

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    bas, There is no logic behind liberty..i always hated Bernie, but these guys are making me wish he was still around!!!

Bas likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You know me, I always liked Bernie. It looked good with Liberty ever so briefly with hiring the right people to sort it out but it's just spineless so far as I can see.

NEP likes this.
  14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Start time doesn't matter to me. I record all of them, watch the start and first few laps, FF to the pit stops for the leaders, and then FF to the last few laps. It takes about 20 minutes to watch a race, and I miss almost nothing. If by some miracle actual racing appears, I slow the race for that.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  15. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    If I'm up, out and about I'll catch the races live otherwise...DVR so no worries here. It's not like F1 results are announced on broadcast TV so as long as I avoid Ferrari Chat I'm good.

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This.

All this time change does is prove f1 fans are the most moody sensitive fans there are. Seriously. Bitching about a time change? No race seems to start at the same time as the previous as it is.

BMWairhead likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't mind a time change, but the time itself is just stupid. Use whole numbers.

18. Aiye yi-yi yi-yi...... :(

If you're a true F1 fan, does it really matter? ;)

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm surprised more don't DVR and FF thru the commercials. The only one I watch live is Austin. One would think they would start them at the time best suited for the individual race since most everyone has DVR / Watch on Demand capability today.

wjw300tt likes this.
  20. My point exactly.....there are real F1 fans...and there aren't..... :cool:

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here is the problem

The race is 2 hours long.

Let's say there's a rain or accident or technical delay. Now the race ends at 6:30. If it's a rainy day, the light is failing towards the end of the race in the spring or fall.

tifoso2728 and Bas like this.
  22. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    The 10 past the hour start time makes perfect sense from a TV perspective. Quite a few markets don't warrant a full half hour preshow and the 10 minute gap affords the station carrying the race time for a quick rundown of race storylines, starting grid and quick interviews with important players. Most importantly it allows the coverage to begin on the hour without the jolt of the starting lights immediately going out.

(Or maybe Liberty is made up of old Southern pro wrestling fans who long for the old TBS start times for WCW.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kes7u and Igor Ound like this.
  23. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Please...it’s not about being “psychologically fulfilled”...it’s about viewership and the likelihood (or not) that I will be among them...

If you plot the markets that are generally not going to watch a race because of the timing, it includes at least the whole west coast of the US (more realistically, Mountain and Pacific time zones...everyone west of the Rockies). Shifting the time also shifts the plot...very few markets would be lost and one big one (Western US) would be captured.

I’m an enthusiastic fan who feels “timed out” of most races...how are they ever going to capture the more casual fan?

I’m sorry that many of you cannot remember to turn on the TV and wait for ten minutes. I bet there will be content that reminds you that a race will start shortly...

Now all of a sudden the sun will be a problem...yet one of the most popular features added in the past years is the daylight-to-dusk race.

I don’t understand it, but I do realize that many “fans” feel the need to complain about everything...it’s simply a revised start time that will make live viewership more accessible.

I cut the cord a few years ago and currently do not have a DVR option. I can watch races live (via Sling)...or, I can illegally download a torrent later. My preference is to simply watch live...and, I am happy they are delaying the start time a bit.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've been watching f1 for the vast majority of my life. Think that qualifies.

25. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Are we going to have an "I'm the biggest fan" contest...?