Recovering Mondial Seats | FerrariChat

Recovering Mondial Seats

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, May 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #1 Birdman, May 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey All,
    WAAAAAY back when I first bought the Mondial, a friend of mine who is a genius with all things sewing, volunteered to create new skins for the front seats (they were REALLY REALLY torn and nasty). She regretted volunteering to do it, because it was so much work! But basically, she took the skin from the passenger seat and made a pattern out of it, then made new skins. I bought the leather on-line (sending samples back and forth with a vendor until we found a matching color). It took almost two years for her to get finished with the whole project (because she has a real job too, and this was a non-paying favor for me!) Anyway, she told me don't even think about giving her name to anyone else because she never wants to do this again! But I thought I would post the pics of putting the skins on the seats a couple weeks ago. I haven't re-installed everything yet, so I'll wait to post finished pics. Last night we finished skinning the headrests, so I'll be able to put those in as soon as I get the right sized rivets to put the bottom pieces back on them.

I was surprised how complicated the skins are on the inside, with little rods, springs and strings to create all the folds and pleats. Not difficult to put the new skins on, but you definitely need two people and a hog-ring tool.

Anyway, here are some pics....this first set is taking the skin off a seat bottom.

Birdman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #2 Birdman, May 13, 2007
    OK, and here are some of putting on the new skin on the seat bottom...

Last pic shows the finished seat bottom next to the old skin that came off!

You can see that this seat (drivers seat) was missing some foam where the old skin had ripped, so we had to patch it with some other foam, and the bump is a bit noticeable in the finished seat. But it will smooth out with use. The passenger seat came out a little better because the foam was perfect and the old skin was much less mangled. But of course, we forgot to take pics of that seat!

The seats are back in the car (without headrests) but the car is covered in plastic right now because I'm painting the rear quarter panel to fix paint which had been overbuffed by the PO.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #3 Birdman, May 13, 2007
    The issue of how to remove the headrests came up in a previous thread. Each headrest has two rods with detents and there is a ball inside a tube in the seat that clicks into each detent. Problem is that the last detent on the headrest rods is designed so that the headrest can't be pulled out. From inside the seat, you need to ram a thin-walled tube up inside the tube that has the ball in order to push the ball out of the way. Then you can yank the headrest out. Pretty easy, except for two things.

1. It has to be done from inside the seat, meaning the back has to be removed. (Two rivets need to be drilled and the rigid back of the seat taken off.

2. You need a thin-walled tube that is slightly larger in ID than the rods on the headrest and slightly smaller in OD than the ID of the tube in the seat back. We found a little brass rod at a local hardware store that did the trick. Custom tool: $2.79. Figuring it out: priceless.

Some pics to illustrate:

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Stay tuned for pics of the completed job. Man, it really transforms the interior! I have been driving around with seat covers over the seats for 2 years. I am so excited to have a decent looking interior now!

Birdman

5. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Congratulations! Excellent job. Enjoy for many years to come!!!

Howard

6. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Guido,
    Watsa matta you huh?
    (You did that to your friend???)

Nice job, but there are forteen old italian momamia who need the worka.....

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    And wait till you get started on yours and you find out whatta they charga!!

;)

Birdman

8. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    A lot of problems also revolve round the foam. This is injection moulded and forms the exact shape of the seat. This is fine when new, however, 20 years down the line the foam is fragile and tends to crumble. I am trying to find a source of liquid foam (especially liquid visco-elsatic "memory" foam) so that I can make my own. If I can't find this then the shapes will have to be carved out piece-by-piece.