150k budget - wtb? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

150k budget - wtb?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chris0315, Aug 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    i know i sound like a broken record, but have you thought of getting a Stradale?

2. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    No haven’t. From what I understand, f1 wasn’t good in 360. I get it, CS is better than standard. Still, belt service and frankly speaking, the bulky seats and interior is not really to my taste.
    I admire the weldings in the scud, pure aluminum and carbon. Seats and cockpit, stunning.
    Yes, I like the 458 of course way more than the standard F430. But scud looks to me the closed to GT3Porsche.
    But still, 458 vs scud is what is going on back and for in my head.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  4. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I traded my 1998 Ferrari 550 for the 458.... the reason..... waaaayyy less to maintain than a 21 year old V12. The 458 runs me about $800 per year, while the 550 I spent $30,000 on it in 3 1/2 Years.
    New ECU, New Motor Mounts, Air, Steering rack, Clutch, Brakes, but I wanted it to be perfect and take care of anything that could come up down the road. The 458 I don't listen for weird sounds, I don't worry will something snap, or the $8,000 _ $12,000 major every 4 years is a given. I miss the feel, and ride of the 550, much better and smoother than the 458. But 2 different cars. I like new technology. It is hard to go back in time. I bought a 308 GT4 2 years ago, and man, it was 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, and a real killer in traffic. But on an empty road it was smooth, handled great, engine sounds great. But again Old Technology, Poor lights, little AC, no tire selection to speak of, but a smooth drive. I think that is why I will not dip back into the 360 CS, etc, they may not lose, but the small things add up. Depends if you want a super fast , car with ceramic brakes, Wet Clutch, no timing Belt, no "Major" every 4 years or so. The cheapest part of owing a Ferrari is when you Buy it, but keeping it in top running shape can wipe out your fun money. But the key thing is Get Something, see how you like it. If you don't enjoy owning and maintaining the car, then just sell it. Remember you can always sell it, you won't be stuck, you may lose money, but not that much.
    It just makes my stomach knot when I think about trading the 458 for a 2016 Porsche GT3RS. In theory it sounds good on paper, well made, handles nice, etc etc.... but it does not have the sound and excitement of having a Ferrari to climb into. I drove the 599 but for some reason it just did not light me up.... I still don't know why that is, as I am a huge V12 fan.
    Let us know what you get.

chris0315 likes this.
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Wait until winter when prices come down more and you should be able to find a fairly decent 458 with not as much mileage. If you won't drive the car a lot, get a 430 Scuderia. They seem to be undervalued.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I always try and start with the position that the car will be in when I sell it. That strategy has pretty much always worked well. Between a 458 and Scud the Scud wins hands down all day every day. It may even be "free" (net 0 cost to own ) or appreciate. That blue one at CNC / Illuso was a good choice.

LARRYH likes this.
  7. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Thecadster likes this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No it wasn't......

Otherwise agree with your post......I can't afford to piss money away by depreciation, I don't mind putting maintenance into an icon like a Scuderia.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    IloveGT, LightGuy and chris0315 like this.
  10. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    out of curiosity bc we discussed this in the beginning, where do I find a CS for 150k? the more often I look at it the more I consider this an alternative to the scud.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is very true for Ferrari ownership. How much crap are you willing to put up and how much crap is real crap will be something you will know. For some, nostalgia trumps everything. For some, it's the technology.

Ferrari is technically hand made and it is very often that we moan about getting a Toyota rear mirror and buttons that become so stick that you will be like WTF every time you sit in it, for a 300k car!

Are you really ready to jump into a Ferrari world? The love hate relationship is so endearing that you won't be able to escape once you enter.

Someone please play the maniacal laugh here.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I think the 458 market is actually getting competitive and stronger again. I have been getting calls from my dealer to get the car and random offer from other dealers that I just walked in to check out other cars.

The black on black scud looks very good.

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I’ve seen prices go up on most cars I’ve been looking at. I’m fairly sure it’s due to summer though so we’ll see what winter brings.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

FF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT likes this.
  15. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Is this Ferrari going to be a car you keep for a while or just your first taste in hopefully a long relationship with the brand? Knowing that might help us form a more solid opinion. I'm a firm believer that CS, Scuds, Speciales and Pistas make the Ferrari ownership that much more special, so I'd get the Scud.

Most importantly, as others have said - go drive them all. I find small exotic dealers are d-bags about test drives, they think they have unobtainium and you should be happy they even allowed you to walk into their store. Most Ferrari/Lambo/Mac dealers as well as bigger exotic dealers/brokers like Marshall and CNC are usually cool. If someone won't give you the courtesy of a test drive, don't give them your hard earned cash.

chris0315 and Fireman1291 like this.
  16. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Make sure you have budgeted for maintenance and repair - be able to spend at least 20% of purchase price if need be. If you're looking to spend $150k on a F-car, have $30k ready - hopefully you'll never need it, but it ain't no Porsche.

17. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    thanks, fully aware. I'll always keep this in mind, that's why I need to stay at 150k to still have that extra room

18. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    10 Priuses

G. Pepper and kes7u like this.
  20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This. Definitely. Priuses or Prii?

Anyways. What about a 599GTB?

Kevin

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here's a fed thoughts.

Your budget might be on the low side for a 458 vs. a 430, BUT!!!

Let's for arguments sake say both cars had a 150k sticker, and perhaps the 458 would even depreciate a bit, there's still a lot to be said for reliability and maintenance. Fact is that the average F430 will cost more to use down the line, and it is quite a bit less reliable than the 458. This still holds true if you raised the budget to 185 and got a 458 instead of the 430. The 430 is the last of an era, and the 458 is a whole new game. Build quality, electrics, powertrain etc. In a 430bhow much you drive it In terms of milage isn't the only consideration of depreciation and expense. Headers thst crack, bits that fall off, a clutch that can be worn out at a blistering rate if you do even small things wrong. A dash where the leather crack, sticky buttons and all the rest of it. The DCT era changed the game completely, and the cars became more enjoyable and easy to live with.

If you are considering a 150k 430 vs. a 180k 458, the question to yourself is simple. Can you afford not to spend the extra 35k on the 458? Unless you have a thing for the gated F430 or will spend as much on a Scud as a good 458 will cost, don't consider the F430. The 458 is that much better and you will get the value back in enjoyment many more times over.

Do the best you can to make your first venture into the Ferrari camp as pleasant and fun as you can. Get a DCT car and start there.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Fun GT cars. But also big and nothing like sportscar group.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Although I don’t disagree didn’t you say u don’t own one?
    Thé FF is miles more refined than a 430, can be had with cpo, handles surprisingly well and on track I guarantee it will post time that are pretty darn good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    430 (Spyder or coupe) with maintenance cushion
    458 coupe
    550 / 575

BOKE likes this.