150k budget - wtb? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

150k budget - wtb?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chris0315, Aug 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True. And you are corret

I have plenty of miles in the FF to know what it is, and it is absolutely one of my favorite Ferraris. My point here was not so much as a comparison against the F430, because I really don't consider it for the reasons in my initial post. My point was more to say that for a guy that seems really set on and into the idea of the mid engined Ferrari line, the 458 is a more suitable place to start. Not knocking the FF and I would most certainly choose that over a 430, but not necessarily over the 458. But yes, always over the 430 which I am genuinely not a fan.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You are in the range for a very nice 430 or a high mileage 458. 550s, 575Ms, and 599s are in there too.

I would take a very hard look at what 911 GT3 you can buy for $150K, that may very well be the winner in the long run.

If you are really looking for "The more race genes the better" and "best possible emotions, puristic race experience" you need to stick to the CS, Scuds, and Speciales.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Just to clarify, 430 SCUDERIA. I don't look for a standard 430. Thanks

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm aware of that. My main objectives against the F430 applies to both the normal car and the Scud. It's a special car, and much better than the F430, but for me it is still not as nice or good as a 458. It's a personal preference. Not that into US Scud pricing, but can one even get a decent Scud for 150k? Looking around, it would seem that good ones start around 200k?

Go drive them. That's the only real way you can choose. Start with the 458 vs. Scud and see what you think.

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You aren't going to run across too many Scuds @150K that don't have stories attached to them.

If you are looking for the cheapest Scud for sale in the US good luck at $150k.

7. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    But that was my first post about ;) back to square one.

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    The first thing you need is seat time.:rolleyes: All the rest is conjecture until you decide what YOU want to buy.;)

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Buy my 355.

BOKE likes this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There will be some at your price coming up this Winter....

chris0315 likes this.
  11. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Yeah, seen this one online, don't like white so much and am not sure if I like the race seats better than the Daytona's. Let's say, the presentation of the Fotos didn't really woke up inner buying instinct right away

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    It's a 12-year-old used car at a Ford dealer in central Florida. What kind of presentation are you looking for???

If you are bottom-feeding on price, color choices become wraps. Look for the spec, condition, records, then mileage.

Get some seat time. Come to Las Vegas!!! https://www.dreamracing.com/the-experiences/

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    These are just the wrong seats.....no Scuderia came this way.....worth a call though to see if they have the correct ones.

chris0315 likes this.
  14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  15. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    It's a abandoned warehouse, wrong seats and dark pictures... Nothing that makes me jumping on the phone like now

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    It's a 12-year-old used car at a Ford dealer in central Florida. You need to lower your expectations.

17. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Whatever, I still don't want that one.

18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Uh huh.

You will need to increase your budget to expand your choices.

When you price yourself below the bottom of the current price range for a limited edition Ferrari your choices will be very limited. The bottom end of the price range isn't a good entry point for any Ferrari IMAO unless you are doing all of your own work.

Color and seats are easy. The chassis, powertrain, suspension, and brakes should concern an informed buyer a lot more than cosmetics and the way a car is posted for sale on the Internet. YMMV.:rolleyes:

Good luck with your search!!!

GTUnit and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Uh huh.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Tune out the noise. Even in the Winter, you won't get a 15k mile red one.....you will probably be limited to 20k mile black, silver, white, and gray. But these can still be great first exotics. Now would be a great time to line up test drives of 458, Scuderia, 599, etc and firm up your choice.....keep us posted.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's not what he is saying, and you need to come to terms with the fact that in your budget, a nice clean Scud with a popular classic spec and no history, is not that easy to find - if possible at all.

And as you said yourself, you haven't driven any of them. Chances are that your idea of what you want does not match the experience you get behind the wheel. That's why we say try different things as well as point out why we prefer something vs. other things. And if you're serious about buying, just go to the dealers that has the car in question and test it. One thing is for sure. As this is your first Ferrari experience, buying sight unseen, is a BIG mistake, and not only because of various issues the car could have.

If a Scud is your main goal at this point, I would suggest going to the 430 section of this forum and ask questions plus reading up on all the threads. As I mentioned earlier, the F430 platform is not exactly perfect, and it is known to have some basic flaws and things to be aware of. The guys there with years of ownership experience behind them, can advise you the best about them.

Remember nobody here is trying to discourage you from getting a Ferrari, but a lot of us have seen our share of people get in over hair heads and make mistakes. My personal #1 rule is. The cheapest Ferrari will usually be the most expensive.

Natkingcolebasket69 and BOKE like this.
  22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    This thread is fun :cool:

BOKE likes this.
  23. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    #74 chris0315, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    I fully understand. I may should add-on, I've been already in several Ferraris. Have had Porsches incl gt3 since many many years and bought quite some handful of second hand cars.
    After years of looking into this I feel it's now time. I was close to get my first Ferrari, gated 360 about 12 years ago but it never worked out... In the past I always voted against Ferrari in the purchasing round since I loved the practicality of Porsches or whatever else I got.
    However, to me a sport gene version appeals the most. I'm not a big fan of high polished cars and coffee, im more the Sunday morning by myself enjoyer.
    No track, no lowering and crap. Race sound and emotions. That's what I'm looking for.
    I'm quite useless when it comes to test-drives. That doesn't means that I'll buy one of the internet without looking at.
    My initial question was/is, does a 458 has enough raw race genes and feel as the 430 Scud, or is Scud and CS unique.
    I have other toys for doing mileage. I'll keep the Fcar for longer time and may get another vintage after that. Everything is pointing towards Scud for me currently

Speaking about the money, I have a clear understanding of what I want. Due to the fact that many scuds are standing still I came up with that thread. There is another thread out there with almost similar topic, "scuds, that don't sell for years".
    I've considered the one owner 180k car here but red is not really my colour and I think the car is worth it. I'm eyeing a couple of others in the ball park 140-170. So I guess I'm not too far of with my 150k. I have enough time and just start looking. For sure, whenever I have time I'll test drive as much as I can.
    However, if someone sees one that may fit for me please let me know.
    Sorry for the long text but I felt some people may misunderstand me or think Im too naive.

Best

24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The cost of owning a scud isn’t the price you pay for it. It’s the depr hit you take plus all the operating expenses.

Said differently, a good, one-owner scud in resale red with market-acceptable mileage is likely the cheapest scud to own if bought at a reasonable price.

So $180k can be cheaper than $150k...

BOKE likes this.