16 Inch Wheels | FerrariChat

16 Inch Wheels

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferraridoc, Apr 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Calling all 400 owners who have switched to 16" wheels (most likely SF 16x8 QV rear repros). I have read all the threads and come to a decision to go this way. Then I fitted 17's, which I got for a good price with tyres, so it got me mobile. The trouble is, the 25 year old Pirelli P-Zeroes are rock hard, and the ride is terrible. The 17's are 8.5", so a little wide to go narrower than the 245/50's on them, and I'd like to go a bit narrower and taller for ride comfort. 225/60 R16's seem to be the go. And yes, I flirted with going back to the good old TRX's, but at A$3000 a set, has given me pause!

So could the 2-3 of you that have done this get back to me with your current views on ride, noise, handling, and what spacers may be needed?

Cheers

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow a 400 with 17”s. Gotta see that, post pics!

Personally, I love the TRXs.

Wade likes this.
  3. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Patrick,

Lucky for me you bought those 17” wheels – ugliest wheels I have ever seen. Saved me taking them to the tip :)

Now, to be more constructive, I have a set of 16” Simmons wheels (7.5” & 9”) that Tony Simmons made for me when I had the C4. They have Michelin Pilot Sports on them that were the best road tyres available at the time.

There was no comparison between the performance of these and 15” Borranis with XWX’s – made the C4 feel/drive almost like a modern car. Much better “turn-in” and generally better feel on the road.

Of course, a lot of this is due to the stiffness of the Simmons compared to Borranis, but they are still a lot better than a 15” Campanoglo & 70 Series XWX combination.

I love taking money from quacks (a kind of very small revenge, if you like) so do I have a deal for you!

Option A - You can buy a set of splines to bolt on to a 400/400i from Turrino Wheels (Tasman 246) for about USD1500 and buy the 16” Simmons from me.

Option B – The bolt pattern for Ferrari splined wheels is the same as for 308/400 wheels so you could drill the Simmons to the larger bolt diameter and then they would bolt straight on to the 400. (The splined hubs are worth good money in themselves).

Personally, if I were you, I would just swallow the cost of a new set of TRX Michelins (unless you plan to run the 400I in Targa Tasmania instead of my old Lotus Elan).

I think you might be surprised how good a set of new TRX’s are compared to those that are 20-30 years old’

Regards

WM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    .............and option C: it's still always going to be a bloody 400i auto....why throw good (lots of) money after bad!

My 365 is now in his shed..................................................he has seen the light,end of story.

5. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've got some on my phone - I'll try and get all techy and post them :)

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Option A - very funny
    Option B - hysterical
    TRX's - I've gone through all that!

I'm going to probably re-shoe the 17's with something narrower, taller, and softer, hopefully with a less square shoulder than the P-Zeroes. Marc offered up the SF 8x16's and it looks like large spacers might be needed. Still waiting to hear from someone who's done it.

7. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Al Campbell likes this.
  8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    AZEV Type As?

9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yep.

10. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Did you get my txt?

11. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yep, sorted

12. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just put 235/55 R17 Bridgestones on. The remit was to give good ride as priority one. Definitely has improved the ride, also very quiet. Can't tell much about the cornering yet.

13. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  14. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Sooo you have your 400 back??

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yep, and after work this morning I'm going to spend a happy afternoon fixing the ignition switch and some general tinkering. I'll repost the pics over here.

16. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Al Campbell likes this.
  17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  18. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    They all do. Look at your sill line - nice and parallel. Mine's slightly up at the back, which I did to clear the super wide tyres it used to have, but I still think the Koni spring/shock kit to replace the ride leveller is too soft, so I might yet stiffen it up.

19. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    your self levellers are probably stuffed. I had the Koni coil over replacement fitted to the C4 and even IanB remarked when driving it a very high speed :eek: that the suspension set up was perfect. I have the old self levellers in the garage somewhere, not sure if they are good or not

20. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  21. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm freeze dried from the eighties - you like what you like. Besides, it's only 10 mins from Gezim's place. :D