What to use to lubricate 308/328 seat rails? | FerrariChat

What to use to lubricate 308/328 seat rails?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Aug 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi folks,

I've got my 328's seats out for their annual Leatherique treatment.

This year I wanted to clean lubricate the seat rails so they slide forward and backward a little more smoothly. What should I use here as a lubricant? I think something more substantial (grease? what kind?) beyond WD-40 would be appropriate...

Any help appreciated!

--Mike

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I used white lithium grease applied with a small paint brush.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    White Lithium Grease,
    It's plastics friendly, cleans up pretty easily, & lubricates adequately for this type of job.

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, guys! I have some "in stock" here in the garage and will use that. Very much appreciate the input.

--Mike

5. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Mike,

I,ve been down this road a couple of times. Make sure you take the time to completely clean out the old dirt and gunk in the rails before you lubricate and re-install. It's actually easier to take the time to remove the rails from the seats and then clean them. The results will amaze you !

Regards,

Stew

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the encouragement. I WANT to take the rails completey off of the seats. However, each rail has 2 6mm allen (inverse hex-head) bolts that I absolutely, positively CANNOT crack, even after using various nut loosener sprays and light tapping on a hammer. I considered slotting them with a dremel tool, but have not done so....

Has anyone else had any trouble here? I'd really like to do as Stew suggests and completely remove them and take the time to de-gunk them.

--Mike

7. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    When playing with the rails be careful. there are two rollers with rubber o-rings on them and they can fall out. Also, there are some small ball bearings that have to be in specific locations or the seat will jam. The rails have little indentations that keep the balls in the right place but sometimes the balls can get past them. Patience is a virtue.

8. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd just like to know how to get the seats out. I have tried the allen screws in the front of the seat/floor area but get lost as I proceed anound to the tunnel side & aft portion. Anyone post a link?

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's simple. Each seat has four 6mm allen bolts bolted into the floor. The allen bolts I'm talking about above are two separate ones that attach the rails to the actual seat, you can ignore those.

You must move the seat ALL THE WAY FORWARD firmly and pull the reclining latch to lean the seat forward in order to reach the rear bolts. Same applies to the front bolts. A typical "90 degree elbow" allen key will give you enough clearance to get to the bolts.

--Mike

10. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    the reason the rear screws are so much trouble is they're exposed to the elements and rust up very easy. keep after them with penetrating oil. if you feel under the car you may be able to access the end of the screw. i use a 6mm allen head socket for removal. when reinstalling them i coat the screws with silicone sealer and lube the track with white lithium grease. perserevance furthers.

11. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    on the 328, if you take out the front bolts first, a stop bracket comes out with one of them and you can slide the seat further forward. Makes getting to the back ones with a hex socket and extension pretty easy.

on the 308, the stop is welded to the seat rail, so no help there. However, it is usually easier to take out the fronts first so the back of the seat doesn't try and lift when you slide the seat forward.

wrt getting the rails off the 328 seats, yeah, those allen bolts were on tight. Hex socket worked for me, though.

12. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks everyone..I'll pursue this again on my 328..slowly following these directions..

Mike