17 years old and 8 owners | FerrariChat

17 years old and 8 owners

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NC01, Oct 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NC01

NC01 Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    NS Caw
    Hi

First time poster, so be gentle! I've just had an inspection on a 355, which was a three owner car. Long story short, the issues are substantial and I am pulling out of the purchase as a consequence. I'm tempted by another car with a couple of thousand less on the clock, owned by the last owner for quite a while, but it has had 8 owners (it's a 1999 car meaning an owner ever c. 2 years). What are your thoughts on this number of owners?

I'm thinking about the number of owners, which makes me think somebody else will do the same when buying off me in 5 plus years time (all being well), but I don't know enough about these cars to know if I am being OTT with this concern...

Best

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think once you are past two owners it doesnt matter if its 3 or 8. Its all about the PPI and records

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How many were actual operators vs just owners, i.e. people who drove the car vs dealers. Look at carfax and see how many times it went through auction or dealer sales. This can give you an idea whether it was rode hard, put away wet, and then dumped for something else. Then as Jerry said, PPI and records.

paulchua likes this.
  4. NC01

NC01 Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    NS Caw
    I should say it's a UK car, so we don't have carfax (as far as I'm aware).

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    With a good PPI that's a buy

6. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Judge on condition and state of maintenance. Number of past owners is a bit ridiculous.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You should add your location to your profile - that is a key detail for getting proper help here ;)

8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I see what you did there
    ;)

anunakki likes this.
  9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Yep, provided that "quite a while" owner didn't just leave it in the garage.

No experience in the UK market, but in the US, people tend to own Ferraris for a short time or a long time.

I'm the fourth owner on my 328.
    The original owner kept it for only six months (and may have been embassy personnel, based on name and the DC area).
    Then a doctor had it for nine years in the Chicago area.
    Then it was owned for a couple years in Boston, where it spent much of its time in the shop.
    I've owned it since '99, but I had a major, engine-out, "make it right" service to clean up the issues from the third owner.

People who own *and drive* the car for "a while" will generally clean up any issues left by previous owners.

People who keep the car in the garage or shop are failing to fix issues.

Basically, it comes down to the inspection.

But, on any used Italian car, plan for a costly first service, as your shop won't be familiar with that specific car at first, and will need more time to examine everything.
    And there will be little things the previous owner stopped noticing that might annoy you.

I'd advise you to find the shop where you'll get service before you go car shopping.
    Even if you plan to swing a wrench yourself, there'll be things you want to refer to a pro.
    Poor service can ruin the ownership experience (contributing to that short or long ownership).

And a good shop might be able to point you to a good car for sale.

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Maybe having a new owner every few years isn't a bad thing, as they probably immediately went for a full service, thus guaranteeing that the car was always well maintained, and on time (if even perhaps ahead of time), and may have been more likely to drive it on a regular basis, thus giving all parts like joints and rubber hoses in shape giving them a longer shelf life :) ? Food for thought...

The 360 I bought last summer had a single owner since she was born in 2002. Looking at the service records, she had everything done on time during the first dozen or so years. Then over the last few years, the previous owner had begun to neglect her (doing only simple services, and not necessary on time) with very few miles being placed during a 24 month period prior to it being purchased by myself.

Hence, I guess one could say that these periods of neglect could be considered worse, knowing that some titanium parts may corrode from acidity that builds into the engine oils (at least according to what I've read in place like Aldous Voice), and the slow deterioration of rubber parts.

Just thinking out loud...

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Absolutely true, imho.

Not unusual to find Ferraris in my country with 2 owners, 15 years, 10.000km and... 4 sets of clutches fitted, for instance (spelling abused car, either by incompetence or an uncontrollable need to do doughnuts when cold).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

12. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Exactly. 4th or 5th owner of a 360 here. More than 3 years of ownership and it still is a dream.

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    All three Ferraris I've owned had multiple owners.
    I'm 7th owner of my 2001 360. That was similar for my previous car an F355.
    F355 only had 25k on and as it happens is for sale now (not by me) currently a 26k car through Clinkard

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Exactly! In those 7 or 8 or whatever owners, statistically there would have been one that would have asked about belts and the variators, etc. So instead of one owner that puts it into a garage and lets is sit for 11 months out of the year for the last 15 years, you have multiple people asking about the maintenance history and driving the car. I don't think it's bad at all. Can you get 5 knuckleheads in a row that don't do oil changes every year and neglect the car? Sure. But by that time I would have expected the clutch to be trashed and the condition obvious. Mine had many many owners in its life. One in Florida put 3x,xxx miles on it in 3 or 4 years. I think its awesome she was driven. And you know what.. she's been a really reliable car! :)

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My 1959 ferrari was 5 owners...........just saying.
    I bought it with no PPI.

16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    With the impetus on dealers to get clients to upgrade constantly, especially with nice marques, I wouldn't be surprised at lots of owners. My dealer used to phone me every few months and entice me with new cars, and the only thing that stopped it showing ridiculous numbers of owners of my cars was that I always, at the time, have five or six, so I'd swap one of those at each point, so technically, only adding one owner a year to either car!

As the rest of the guys state, it's not the owners you need to worry about, it's the service condition. Have the car checked thoroughly, and get a good warranty. Even if you don't keep a warranty after the first year, it gives you the luxury during that first year to fix anything that rears its head after purchase..... with cars that can costs thousands for simple fixes, I think they are a must buy item

17. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m the 7th owner of my F430, purchased summer 2016....it’s never been outside of the main dealership network so always had to go through their checks etc to sell as an approved car. Bought it with 17,000 miles, now just about to click over 25,000 & driving beautifully :) I was a little concerned about the number of owners to begin with, but that & mileage won’t bother me anywhere near as much next time.