1700 miles in a Mondial | Page 5 | FerrariChat

1700 miles in a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Manny, May 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Gotta love Manny's Superman pose.

2. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I didn't realize my hair was that screwed up :(

Anyway, great time meeting you guys, Manny and Dave.

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Sorry about the door handle. Don't know my own strength. :D

Posting from the treo is working great. have to be careful of using battery because unfortunately the power plug doesn't work.

Just spotted a black Maser Qp in Lima. We decided on backroads cause 95 is heavy traffic to Wilmington.

More later.

4. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    **** i gotta drive to the airport.

5. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    LOL!!!!!!! a soccer mom in an SUV just busted Mannys chops at a stoplight. "Hey that's a Fiat right?"

Then she said she knew it was a Ferrari and that she thought it was cool. :)

6. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    We are at my uncle's house right now... We are going to leave to Waldorf and meet Robbie. More to come.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#107 dm_n_stuff, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    [size=+2] Have you changed into your Fchat T-shirts yet???[/size]

I figgur you must have sweated through that high end Ferrari garb you were wearing. :D

dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Manny looks like he's having fun

Dave has a classic "what the hell did I get myself into???" look :D

A quote for the road:
    In every port of call on this cross-country voyage, [the Mondial] became an instant one-man parade
    -Motor Trend, Nov 1981

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'll pack some Ricambi shirts for these boyz... They'll be in new duds by tomorrow at noon.

:)

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Daniel.

FD is a large, Manny is an XL.

Be sure to tell Dave that the color of the shirt will bleed onto his skin.

Make him explain why that's an issue!

Dave.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This will be a legendary story. My car's gassed up to try to meet you in Dallas if you make it by Monday.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Has anyone spoken to them? I'm wondering if there are any spares I should pack into my car, just for good measure. (Like an airline ticket or an A/C compressor???)

13. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Have they explained why their A/C isn't working?! We could probably have it diagnosed for them by North Carolina, parts by Atlanta, fixed in Birmingham, etc...

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

If you know how to charge an A/C system, that may be all it needs to get going. It's definitely discharged right now.

Some belts? a Six pack? Dry ice to cool the cockpit??

A can of fix-o-flat would be good. And they could use a pre-mix gallon jug of antifreeze. they don't have a lot of room in the car. It's full of baby crap.

I packed them a care package of oil, some tools, and jumper cables before I sent them out from Philly, along with a couple fchat hats and shirts, and a Ferrari Flag that Manny's getting everyone to sign.

Of course Noah and Pat signed on the back, so their sigs read backwards through the flag. Who'd a thunk that was possible?

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

??

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Let me re-phrase.

It's full of stuff for the baby. Clothes, toys, etc.

Not literally full of baby poop. That's just gross!!!

Dave

17. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    And for some inexplicable reason, I followed Noah. A mistake I won't be repeating.

18. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    I hate you guys. Everyone picking on me...

19. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    302 Miles. Doesn't sound like much, but we made a ton of stops. Ultimately made it to La Plata, Maryland, after eating a late dinner with Robbie (285 Ferrari). Thanks for dinner Robbie, it was a real treat, and great to meet you! :)

Dave, FerrariChat.com shirts worked wonderful. Wiped the oil right off that dipstick... KIDDING! ;) I like the hat.

Oh, and if the flag is on a flagpole, who cares about which side it was signed on?

Daniel, I'll have you know I wore my old-school yellow Ricambi shirt on the plan to NJ.

Regarding the A/C, supposedly it needs a charge. All we know for sure is that it blows hot hot hot even when turned "off". Best combination of buttons is to have the defroster selected, and fan turned off. That blows the least amt of hot air.

What's surprising the hell out of us is that we can run with the windows down in pouring rain with almost zero moisture into the cabin, and negligible wind noise.We were downright comfortable this afternoon and evening.

The car is mechanically strong. Nothing about the car has shaken our confidence that it will make it all the way to TX. It has consumed a qt of oil, as expected.

"Baby crap"=stuff that Manny's mom is sending with us to her granddaughter.

20. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #120 FarmerDave, May 26, 2006
  21. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    237 miles from our hotel to Durham, NC for the FCA picnic tomorrow. We'll leave here at 8am.

22. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #122 No Doubt, May 26, 2006
    Down in your passenger footwell your heater valve (#38 in the pic) should be up under the dash just below the right A-pillar. The guts of the valve are the same as BMW e28 (1982-87 528e/535) (1982-88 633/635).

If that heater valve electrical connection is broken or unplugged, then you'll get hot air no matter what. It's got to have power to switch from heating to chilling.

If the problem isn't in the electrical connection on the heater valve itself, then it may be a Mondial fuse box issue (or hey, just a fuse...remember, no power to heater valve equals hot air)...or...it may be that the rubber diaphram inside the HV failed. That would also let hot air in no matter what.

Ask Daniel Pass to bring a Mondial heater valve, some fuses, some Stabilant 22a, and an A/C charge kit to the FCA party tomorrow.

If he can't get you the heater valve that soon, then stop at a BMW dealership on your way to the party before the parts department closes.

You can pick up your A/C charge kit at a Wal-Mart if you need to go that direction, too (heck, you'll probably drive right by an A/C charge station on your route - then you don't have to deal with the R12 or R134a question).

With a working heater valve, some new fuses, some Stabilant 22a on your electrical connections, and a quick A/C charge, you'll be good to go.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats why Fchat Rocks!

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    no doubt they have the 8, the diagram you posted isn't for that yr. i have one for the 8. i'll see if i can post it up. the water valve on the 8 is accuated by the slider on the dash, if it came loose or a cable is off it will keep the heater going.

i'll post up some diagrams for the climate control, gimee a minute....

25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG