18 inch Campagnolo wheels | FerrariChat

18 inch Campagnolo wheels

Discussion in '206/246' started by Telaio, Oct 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #1 Telaio, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2017
    Hi Fellow, Dinos'istas, we are currently scanning and up-sizing a Campagnolo wheel to 18 inches, we plan to cast a batch of rims which will allow for the fitment of modern rubber to the 328 Outlaw Dinos' we are currently building. cheers all, Kev.

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #2 4CamGT, Oct 31, 2016
    Kevin,

Sounds exciting! Any plans for a 16" version?

Freeman

3. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #3 Telaio, Oct 31, 2016
    Yes very exciting .......... it wouldn't a problem to make some 16 inch rims.

4. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    For what reason a Dino needs that? Not for perfect driving...

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

John Corbani's 16" Gotti wheels worked amazingly well on his Dino (despite the wheel cracks that he had to deal with periodically). Man, did he have that suspension set up well - it was the best handling car I have ever driven - compliant yet astoundingly competent in both short and long radius curves at speed - AND no fuel starvation as a result of how he set up his carbs.

Mark

6. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #6 Telaio, Dec 15, 2016
    -K1- likes this.
  7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fantastic Kevin!!

Freeman

SC52 likes this.
  8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Kevin,

It sounds like you are building several "Outlaws", which is cool but also a bit out of the ordinary.

I hate seeing a good Dino being made into this, no different than the old replica vs. restoration issues, but what are you using for these projects?

I also think the 16" wheel set ups are intriguing. Once you get to 18", that seems to look like a Hotwheels to me, but that is just my opinion.

I am excited to see new options being offered.

Shawn

9. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Don't hate the Outlaws (if done tastefully and reversible). Take a look at the Petrolicoius video. Upgraded Campy wheels would look amazing IMHO.

10. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Shawn, many thanks for your interest and for your constructive comments. Yes you are correct, we are currently working on up-grading two Dino's. This is a fascinating and highly rewarding departure for us as my work over the past 53 years has previously been obsessed with maintaining originality, a policy which we still adhere to as is appropriate ........................

It appears that the interest in Ferrari 328 engined Dinos has arisen as a result of the Petrolicious web sites article on my own " What if Car " and it can be seen that there is a coming market for this type of development which we are excited to explore as it offers us the chance to develop these beautiful cars beyond anyones wildest expectations .

Obviously, added power brings added performance and so it is then sensible to up-rate brakes and suspension hence the larger wheels which are needed to clear the larger discs and callipers which in turn allows for the fitting of modern tyres and gives the oppertunity to exploit hitherto un-tapped handling capabilities.

Thinking ahead, who knows what the future will bring, I heard recently that British Petroleum plan to be out of Petrol production by the year 2030 due to the mass introduction of electric cars .............. Maybe in the future, that this type of development work will be seen as instrumental in keeping our classic car world alive ........... ..

Finally please be assured that no Dino was harmed by our attentions, every thing is reversible and all exchanged parts retained, should you find yourself in the UK pop in and I'll be only too happy to demonstrate our work, you will be blown away I promise. Kindest regards, Kev.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    How wide are the 16" wheels? I need a set of 10/9 or 9/8 for a GT4 with flared wheel wells.

12. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #12 Telaio, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi fellow Dino'ists, I took a trip to our local foundry earlier this week to check on the progress of the 18 inch Campagnolo wheels we are having cast, all under control and looking good with more photos to follow as we progress, cheers all, Kev. ps, check out the " Dude " with the bare arms and sneakers .......... that's molten metal they are pouring !!!!! I've posted a short video on our Instagram page @mototechnique
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Amazing! Looking forward to see the end result.

Best

Peter

14. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #14 Telaio, Jun 21, 2017
    Hi Fellow Dino'istas, I thought you might like to see our progress with the 18 inch Campagnolo style wheels we are currently producing ......... we took a trip to the tooling facility earlier this week and were so impressed with what they are able to produce from a E mailed file, the quality of their work is sublime and well beyond our expectations and it is now easy to see where the cost goes. All looking good so stand by for further up-dates, cheers all, Kev.

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Kevin,

You are keeping waiting and wanting to know more.

I am most wanting to see how these look on the Dino.

Any pics?

Shawn

16. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Hi Kev
    Now you have the drawings your program should tell you the volume/weight easily enough.
    Look forward to hearing more..
    Will

17. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke

Hi Will, please be advised that our 1st batch of aluminium wheels are now cast and await machining which will take place early August. Regarding weight of each wheel, we are advised that the aluminium wheel will weigh approx 13.5Kg .............. We’ll be able to confirm the weights once they are machined.

If cast in Magnesium we anticipate that they would weigh approx 9.5-10Kg. , cheers all, Kev.

18. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #18 Telaio, Aug 9, 2017
    Here's the latest progress photos ........... we are next in line for machining, the wheel being machined in the background is a new Ford Gt40 replacement in Magnesium, in the foreground is the new raw Aluminium casting next to an original Campag for reference. Looking good, cheers all, Kev.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Reproduction 16" wheels have been readily available for over 15 years and are cheaper to buy with tires than a new set of 4 14" XWX tires. Just search 'repro QV wheels' and you will find days and days of reading.

20. SC52

SC52 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi Kev
    Any news?
    Cheers
    SC

21. SC52

SC52 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    I take it that's a no.
    I see that the op has been online in the last 2 days but hasn't replied...

22. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #22 Telaio, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
  23. SC52

SC52 Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    Thanks Kev,

Looking forward to see them on a vehicle.

Cheers

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Kevin,

Really looks like a quality execution! Is there a 16” planned?

Freeman

25. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Cool background!