185577 updated oil chain tensioner | FerrariChat

185577 updated oil chain tensioner

Discussion in '348/355' started by go_faster, Feb 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    #1 go_faster, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought an updated oil pump chain tensioner but it looks as if it needs to be revised. Are we to simply swap the pads and throw the new tensioner away? Or is there some way to retrofit it? I've swapped pads in the photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Since you've already swapped the pads what's holding you back from installing it?

Oh and,

How worn out was the old pad?

Pangea likes this.
  3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Seems weird, why would they sell you a whole different assembly that won't work? Why not just sell you the pad?

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What car?

5. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    #5 go_faster, Feb 28, 2016
    91 348.
    This tensioner is from Ricambi. The original is superceded a few times to this one (i believe its a 430 part) but it's different in its mounting and function (the tension comes from spring on the pivot and not the 'spring loaded block' that the original had. Although it has that too... Because it is inverted it wont function per the 348 application asis.

I am just swapping the blocks and going with that. Just didn't know if there was another way to do it? Or if the spring on the pivot was meant to fix a 348 problem?

Per the pads (photo). I had to replace both. The Ramparte timing tensioner came with photo instructions but the oil chain one didn't. So just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Pangea likes this.
  6. albagtp

albagtp Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2014
    Beach City
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    The new tensioner is correct, not backwards, You need the revised mount pin that screws into the front cover and the clip that holds it on. The stop the tensioner rest on also needs to be replaced. There is a TSB on this. Rimcabi shows it on there site. The new tensioner needs to be installed as it is, this is part of the update to prevent the rattle the original one can have. Good luck, Bryan.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh yeah those are definitely worn out.

You can see how I replace both my timing chain and oil chain tentioner, pages 16-20 http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/438576-348-engine-out-major-16.html

8. albagtp

albagtp Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2014
    Beach City
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #8 albagtp, Feb 28, 2016
    F1Flaherty, ernie and Pangea like this.
  9. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Exactly what I needed to know. I'll order the pieces. The pictures helped to understand. Thanks.

10. albagtp

albagtp Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2014
    Beach City
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    There have been too many folks not understanding the updated tensioner. Glad it helped, good luck with your project, Bryan.

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    How many miles on the engine?

12. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    68000miles

Pangea likes this.
  13. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I reply to this topic since I am in the progress of changing my chain pads to my 1989 Mondial T.

I have ordered the tensioner 185577 and I have just read here that in that it won't fit and I would need also the parts 179938 169594 11065474 and 171960 .

Could someone please confirm me that this is correct and by ordering these parts and only these ones the new tensioner will fit to my Mondial T?

Also, I am a bit wondering in order to not mess with it. When I will receive the new tensioner, will it already be charged and ready to by used just by unscrewing the bolt?

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Yes. you need the next 4 parts, and it DOES indeed come pre-tensioned, and you just twist the little bolt head to release. I just finished mine, and forgot the washer and the spring clip.

sjd

15. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ricambi sells the whole thing as a kit. you can see the part numbers and pull up the parts to see the bits. i bought it all from there when i updated 360 tensioners and there was nothing missing.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    that's the 360 chain tensioner but also got the square timing chain pad there. no missing plastic.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    does it have a hole in the face of the pad for oil to come out? I had a thread around here somewhere...

sjd

19. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    For the timing chain tensioner I only see the reference 147338 and Ricambi only shows the pad itself. But I don't know if it is supplied with the spring and its kind of socket and plastic tit like shown on the previous link.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/147338-tension-pad.html

I am ordering from Eurospares since not in the US and should get only the pad but I still haven't received it will see but I am wondering what I will do of the plastic tit I should have on mine (the one on this picture):

[​IMG]

Yes I think I remember your thread and yes my timing pad has an hole and even new holes..!!

20. C t wilkns

C t wilkns Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris wilkins
    Hi gents. Would these part numbers be the same for a 348? I’m having to go through the same process.

21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Yes...but double check. I did my work on my 348.

what year is yours? check the bearing on the block if it's pre 1991. You're already most of the way there doing a tensioner block.

sjd

22. C t wilkns

C t wilkns Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris wilkins
    Thank you. Mines a 1992.
    I have done the bearing already and was just reinstalling everything and found the tensioner didn’t fit. I played around and combined the new and old tensioner and got it to work but I’ll just order the 4 parts you mentioned and do it right.